Very Noisy Gutter

Hi,

The gutter of my house is a rectangular looking closed tin pipe running from the roof straight down on the ground. When it rains, the pipe makes alot of noise. The noise is exactly like there is something banging on the tin can. I think it is the water that is rushing through the pipe to make the noise.

Any idea to silence the pipe?

Reply to
Tom

Lay some sort of "conductor", piece of rope, chain or whatever, tied to a gutterspike near the outlet, hanging into the outlet. It should quiet it some. Another Tom

Reply to
tom

So, bascially, your suggestion is to put something in the hole to slow the water to go down. Do I understand it correctly?

Hmm... I may have problem doing this becasue the gutter of my house is a long tube without any opening. It looks like this:

[]

Instead of this:

I may have to cut it open.

Last time someone dropped a baseball to the gutter and the water backed up all the way to the roof (I have a flat roof). And then some ducks just landed there for a bath. ;-(

Reply to
Tom

First, glue a magnet to a sponge, use waterproof glue. Then stick the sponge to the inside of the drain pipe at the bottom where it turns in the elbow. Most of the noise comes when drops of water hit the bottom of the pipe at this spot. There is also a product that looks as I described available at some hardware stores.

Reply to
PipeDown

I see... So, the water drops to the bottom and then the noise echos back up through the pipe like a trupet... That's why it is so loud...

Reply to
Tom

is this a new trouble or was it alweays noisey?

if its new the downspout might be coming loose from the house

Reply to
hallerb

I suspect the idea is to provide a path for the water to follow rather than falling down the middle. I suggest a chain, but rope should work.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

does the pipe go underground or does it just dump on the ground? years ago I remember a noisey back gutter, found out the exit was clogged, disconnected underground line and noise went away.

later did lots of digging and ran new underground line

Reply to
hallerb

Just like in chemistry class when you may have learned to pour the acid down the stirring rod rather than glugging it into the middle of the beaker to splash all around.

Reply to
PipeDown

When I watch tv in the bathtub, I tie a washcloth to the spout so I don't hear the hot water dribbling in. Works fine. You need something narrower.

Then how does the water get in?

That's a great idea!

You have something against clean ducks?

BTW, you're talking about a downspout, not a gutter.

But I think you're a troll.

mm

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. By "outlet", I meant where the gutter dumps into the downspout. Yes, way up there. Tom

Reply to
tom

Yep, I say this is a TROLL !!!! A well fed troll too....

Reply to
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Exactly.

You know over the years I have used that trick many times.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

The hole where the water goes in is in the middle of the roof. The pipe runs from the middle all the way to the side of the house, and then it turns

90 degree and runs straight down to the ground. The opening for letting the water out is above ground.

It is a square tube without any opening. picture here:

snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net/detail?.dir=cae5&.dnm=9ef2.jpg

Looks like this:

Reply to
Tom

It is always noisy. I think the rope thingy is promising. A big fat twisty rope. So the water can rollercoaster down instead of drop straight down.

Reply to
Tom

Reply to
Phisherman

I think I will give a rope a try. The chains may bang on the inside of the tube to make more noise if the water pushes it back and fore. In a matter of fact, if the rope doesn't work, I can always use it to hang myself and save me some $$$.

Reply to
boaz

Does the downspout lay against the siding? If so, you might get less noise by putting something between the gutter and the siding - piece of cork, wood or foam? Something banging on a tin can? Does the downspout move when rainfall is heavy? Make sure the fasteners are holding tight, too.

Reply to
Norminn

Absolutely. There is nothing like looking at the problem to see what the problem is.

mm