vacuum cleaner new

This photo shows the black very thin plastic type filter that sits facing the fan on a household Hitachi CV-SF8 vacuum cleaner.

Immediately behind this sits a plastic frame with a nylon fine mesh filter and sitting in this frame is a black high density sponge filter. (doing a search on this sponge filter, it's called a Mesh-Urethane filter).

This Mesh-Urethane filter is on the *right* side of this photo, the black one on the left is the reverse of the very thin plastic type filter referred to above.

This Mesh-Urethane filter really restricts the air flow. Its a bit better when I wash it out under the tap with soap and water but soon seems to clog up again. I find it works quite well if I relace it entirely with a piece of soft tissue toilet paper, and keep changing the paper and all the debris that builds up behind it.

Now the question here is what exactly is this very thin plastic type filter (if indeed it is actually a filter) doing? It's the one on the left in the second photo. It seems to have microscopic slits in its surface, but when I wash it, it wont pass water through it, which surely it would if its some kind of filter? It's a thin flexible piece of plastic sheet, and seems really strong. Almost like a sheet of carbon fibre.

Reply to
john d hamilton

New vacuum designs come along like new car models. They keep changing things in the hope of generating marketing appeal. A vacuum still has the basic purpose of picking up dirt. The bagless vacs use a great deal of extra air processing designs to catch more dirt. They include heppa filters, dog hair filters, and bacteriacide filters. That black filter looks like carbon to treat pathogens. The white one is like a pre-filter to catch higher micron debris. Neither one is designed to process much air volume. Don't be fooled by the fact that a filter won't pass water. This is not a wet vac. There are times when you can modify a machine to suit your needs better, but first assume that Hitachi paid a staff to design this thing without using Charmin as the filter media. The bottom line is that if it picks up your dirt better with that restriction removed, go ahead and use it that way.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Hear Hear !!!

As the man from Hoover told me, "All Vacuum Cleaners Suck".

Remember the old Hoover Advert Jiggle.

"All that muck. All that grit. All those little bits of sh..........fluff. Hoover beats as it sweeps, as it cleans."

I'll get me coat. :-) But I do agree with Al.

Reply to
BigWallop

"Nothing sucks like an Electrolux"

(which was later plaguerised in the computing industry as "Nothing sucks like a Vax", the name of a range of minicomputers).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

My ?40 y/o Electrolux is still going strong, just like my 40 y/o Singer sewing machine. The Singer spent about 10 years in a damp basement :o) Just a clean-up at the old local Singer shop (NOT A BIG BOX STORE) and she hums right along.

Reply to
Norminn

There's a punchline in there somewhere. How about the wife?

Reply to
Al Bundy

The first stage is supposed to get rid of almost all the dust by centrifugal force. If the air then clogs a filter frequently, I wonder if something is wrong with the first stage.

Reply to
E Z Peaces

If you want a cyclone cleaner that works, you're really going to struggle with anything other that a Dyson. Dyson have a stack of patents relating to designing cyclones small enough to be part of a vacuum cleaner which actually work, that's it's pretty impossible for other manufacturers to come close. His original dual cyclone patent expired which is why you now see other manufacturers doing those, but they're stuck with following all his advances 25 years behind.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

He was wrong. Vacuum cleaners don't suck. They can only reduce the atmospheric pressure.

Reply to
tnom

If the super duper HD Whirlpool machine was a front loader, it was probably manufactured in Germany, not the U.S. Kind of kills your whole argument.

Reply to
Art

There are many front loaders in the U.S, with built in water heaters now. I own one made by Whirlpool for Sears. The Maytag Neptune problem had nothing to do with water temperature. They included a light that lit up when you left the door open so everyone closed the door. Try that on most machines and it will start smelling from mildew. The fix was a free upgrade to a ventilated door and mildew resistant tub. My parent's upgraded Neptune is

10 years old and smells great inside.
Reply to
Art

that's nice, and it's not particularly relevant.

A machine of similar design and identical, or better, performance, can be had for a great deal less money.

.max

Reply to
max

I kinda wondered about that statement myself. I use 2 bags a year. hmmmmm.... That's a dollar i guess.

Steve Barker DLT

Nah. They suck. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

BS.

The average Energy Star dishwasher uses 4 gallons of water, where the average non-Energy Star dishwasher uses 6 gallons.

Reply to
Siskuwihane

And if Microsoft ever built a vacuum cleaner, it would be their first product that didn't suck.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy