Two Residential HVAC bids: Request for comments

PuddinMan,

I live in Myrtle Beach, SC in a 2000 square foot house and I have a

2-ton heat pump with 4 KW strip heat to do the whole thing. Sounds like your contractor oversized the equipment, but it all depends on your insulation and windows. Ask what kind of load calculation he did. Should be Manual J, 7th or 8th edition.

Based on your utility bills, I would go with 12 to 13 SEER and 90% efficient furnace. 96% furnace will probably not pay for itself with your climate and utility rate. Same with over 13 SEER. It all depends on your situation.

That being said, I will probably replace my 17 year old heat pump within the next year with a 2 stage model rated at 18.6 SEER and 9.5 HSPF. But I am a dealer and I can afford it and it needs replaced anyway. The cost difference should pay for itself in 3-5 years. Anything over 8 years payback should usually be avoided.

Goodman/Janitrol does not hold up that well here. Generally lasts 5 years less than Lennox/Trane/Carrier/American Standard.

Getting a Variable Speed indoor blower will dehumidify better, improve efficiency, be quieter, and work better with the new high efficiency/ High restriction pleated & electrostatic air filters.

Hope this helps.

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch

"Puddin' Man" wrote

Supposedly, they sell more than anyone else in the industry.

Other manufacturers offer extended warranties also. Check them out to before you decide.

I know it's been said a hundred times, but:

Who installs the unit is 95% of the job. Not the brand name.

It's just me, but I would personally never own a Goodman........

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

If your money is tight I would put electric heaters where needed and use the gas furnace for the coldest weather. Electric is not cheap but you get 100%.

I also would not give any contractor any money until they showed up with some goods. Then only enough to prove you intend to pay up when done. Do not let them get ahead of you or you have no power. If you find a contractor that won't do that they keep looking, that guy probably won't be around for service in years to come again anyhow.

Tom

Reply to
Trekking Tom

First I look at the standard warranties (when I can find 'em).

Then I look at the x-warranties. In general, they are limited to 10 years?

Given I don't buy junk and get a good install, I'm primarily worried about the second 10 years, not the 1st. But I'd welcome a 10-yr warranty on a potentially leaky A-coil (if reasonably priced).

I'll bite. How do I find the good one(s)? Folks that installed the old stuff (AC leaked for 18 years) were well known and established ("since '46"). They quoted the current bids. What do I do? Go to the BBB with a handful of local names and find the one with the fewest complaints?

I'm strongly inclined to concur.

Thanks, Puddin'

Reply to
Puddin' Man

"Puddin' Man" wrote

I know it sounds like a cliche, but...

"Ask your friends and neighbors...."

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Well, I will.

But I'm thinkin' maybe I should also get a weegee board, a crystal ball, skin/cook/eat a black cat, etc. Maybe a mojo hand would hep' ...

Cheers, Puddin'

Reply to
Puddin' Man

Not sure about Mojo, but I know Howard Johnson's got his HoJo workin'......

;-]

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

..

============= Points well taken....BUT the dollar you saved yesterday or 5 years ago is worth less then the dollar you spend today... You do have to factor that into your equations also...

Spending 3 times more today to save a little 10 years from now may not always "save" you money ...

Bob G.

Reply to
Bob G.

FWIW, my SE Michigan home is small like yours, 760 sq ft; my Kenmore ac unit is 1.5 ton and is more than enough. It's been three years now, not a peep of trouble (knock on wood). Gets humidity down to 35%, even when stat is set at 78F. It is very quiet; paid a bit extra for a screw-type piston because it was outside my bedroom window. Well worth it.

I had bad experience with a Janitrol ac at last house, 1500 sq ft/1.5 ton. It got noisy and needed charged every summer, yet nobody could find a leak or problem. And it couldn't keep up during the hottest days (95+), it would run almost constantly. Neighbors there bought a Janitrol too, it died after six years.

No way will I ever consider a Janitrol again. Junk.

Reply to
LJ

house, 1500 sq ft/1.5

summer, yet nobody could

during the hottest

Neighbors there bought a

Junk.

You couldn't if you wanted to. They don't make Janitrol anymore- haven't for a few years.

Janitrol _is_ no more.

don't

dealers

dealers

Goodman.

the others ...

They don't. They just offer the lowest price to start with.

Reply to
Kathy

Janitrol was made by Goodman, who also made Goodman and GMC(Goodman Manufacturing Co). All three brands were the same unit. They retired the Janitrol brand, but still make Goodman and GMC. If you buy a Goodman, you will be getting a Janitrol by another name.

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch

Goodman and GMC(Goodman

same unit. They retired

GMC. If you buy a

another name.

Thats like saying Ruud ahd Rheem are the same thing or Bryant and Carrier or whatever. There's High end and low end. Janitrol was low end and they quit making them. I know you already know that. And what kind is GMC? Aren't they trucks? Tomorrow I'm going to ask the distributor what GMC is.

Reply to
Kathy

Most of them are!! Ruud and Rheem build identical units, The only difference between them are the first letter of the model number! I installed a AC condenser the other day that came with Weather King labels on it, and Ruud and Rheem labels in the package! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

From what I understand, the minimum SEER residential units they can sell you will be 13 after the first of the year. A tax credit for energy efficiency improvements is slated for 2006 also. May replace my 21 year old York electric-gas package next spring....

Reply to