Twisted extension cord

Even if the cord is so badly twisted that the insulation is pulled off in places?

Reply to
Daniel Prince

. It does for me every week when I wind up the mic cord Sunday noon. If someone else helps and does not take care, I need to take some twists out when I uncoil the cord the next week. The secret is to take it off exactly the way it was put on and to throw the loops when you wind it up if it has gotten twisted in use.

Reply to
clare

For coiled phone cords there is a simple device that lets the cord swivel, almost totally eliminating the problem - for a couple of bucks.

Reply to
clare

"figure eight" winding. Works great for garden hoses

Reply to
clare

The OP has a PERSON who does NOT take CARE when MOWING the lawn, and the CORD gets TWISTED. Same IDEA.

.

. It does for me every week when I wind up the mic cord Sunday noon. If someone else helps and does not take care, I need to take some twists out when I uncoil the cord the next week. The secret is to take it off exactly the way it was put on and to throw the loops when you wind it up if it has gotten twisted in use.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Such device was purchased, and did no good.

.

For coiled phone cords there is a simple device that lets the cord swivel, almost totally eliminating the problem - for a couple of bucks.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I have found some rotating electrical outlets on eBay. If I put one of them in a box with a short power cord, would it reduce the amount of twisting? I would make it so that the rotating electrical outlet would face out rather than up. My brother would plug his extension cord into the rotating electrical outlet and if we are lucky the outlet would rotate instead of the cord twisting.

Reply to
Daniel Prince

Won't work. The twist is on the ground and will never reach the rotating outlet. A rotating adapter near the mower cord that hangs off the ground would work. Haven't seen one. This is really silly. The only way the cord can be set with a twist is he doesn't remove the twist when stowing the cord. It's not rocket science. You have to whip out the loops to get rid of the twist before stowing.

Reply to
Vic Smith

I have 2 identical cords here, one is mine, one is my wife;'s. Hers is twisted up so bad it is virtually unusable. She does it by wrapping around her arm (hand to elbow) then pulling it straight out.

I am careful to wrap and unwrap mine the same way every time and it looks new.

Reply to
gfretwell

I can't recall seeing a badly twisted up electrical cord, and I've seen plenty of cords. Probably forgot. You can see the hand to elbow technique doesn't work first time you try it. It's fast, that's all. You almost have to purposely reject common sense to get a cord all twisted up.

Reply to
Vic Smith

Keep your wrist straight. Works fine.

The OP's goal seems to be "looks new".

Reply to
Dan Espen

I have one 25' extension cord that I inherited from a organzation that I am involved with. It needed both a plug and a socket so they just bought a new cord and were about to toss the old one in the garbage. I grabbed it and repaired it, but I rarely use it because of the "badly twisted up" nature of it.

I think it was wound up via the hand to elbow method so many times that the outer insulation is all screwed up. The extension cord is kind of bumpy, like the internal wires are twisted or something. It's the only cord I've ever seen in that condition. Maybe I'll take a picture of it and post it.

Other than that one, I have more extensions cords than any homeowner has to right to own! Right now I'm using three cords for my christmas lights and I still have more than enough for any projects that I might need to work on. I've still got three in the garage, a couple in the shed and one or two in my workshop. I'm not sure where they all came from, but I can't resist a good extension cord deal at a garage sale and have no problem accepting a broken cord if all it needs is a plug or socket.

I've got a 40' 12g and a 10' 12g than came from some rich guy that threw out a 50' cord - on a reel - because he cut the cord about 10' from the end. For the price of a plug and socket, I ended up with 2 practically brand new cords that I've been using for more than 10 years. When my son was a teenager doing odd jobs, he was helping some guy clean out his garage. When the guy said to throw out the cord, my son knew a good deal when he saw it. He put it on the side of the junk pile and then put it in my car when I came to pick him up. Smart kid!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Here they are

gfretwell

That one on the right is more or less like the one I described in my previous post. I can still roll mine into a circle, like the one on the left, but you can see how the outer jacket of the one on the right is twisted, causing permanent ripples in the cord.

It's just plain ugly!

P.S. Thanks for saving me the trouble of taking a picture of mine. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Eek! You sure can tell which one is which.

Thank you for taking the effort to photo, and post the photo.

.

Here they are

Stormin Mormon

If I ever fall out of an airplane, I hope I have a drop cord with me. It is going to hang on something.

Reply to
Metspitzer

Wow. Why doesn't she throw hers away and just use yours? You keep it locked up?

Reply to
Vic Smith

I think my brother's cord is about four times as twisted as the one on the right. If I take a picture of it, what free photo sharing site can I use?

Reply to
Daniel Prince

YES HUMAN HANDS

Reply to
grumpy

The way you store a cord is the secret. There is a coiling method where you take one loop in one direction, and another loop in the other, and when you pull on the end, it comes off with absolutely no spiral. I can take 100' of wire rope, and coil it using this method, and with one person holding one end, and another person holding the other, pull it straight, and there will be absolutely no spiral to twist either person's hand.

The other way is to figure 8 it laying on the ground. It will have no coiling to it. Trouble is, storing the figure 8. It can be laid on the ground, or three pieces of cordage used to tie it, one in the middle, and one on each end. We used to loop 600' lengths of diving hose using the figure 8 method. It lets the line pay out easily, too, as only the top loop comes off each time. It MUST be tied after the figure 8 stacking to keep it from tangling.

The coil method works well in conjunction with a metal tire wheel on a post. Weld the wheel about four feet off the ground. Make big loops that come down to about four inches from the ground. It is easy to pull one coil off at a time.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B