Tunneling - Part Two

OK, so I've started my tunneling project (3" * 12', 5' below grade) mentioned a few weeks back. The pipe is not comng for a week or so, but I thought I would start to see what I was getting in to.

I cored drilled the block (2 x 4" holes) last week in 'anticipation' of the chunnel. I assembled a few tools based on your comments last time, garden auger, pressure washer, telescoping wand. I decided to start the hole using my 5' installer's bit to try and get a straight line and see if there were any obstacles 'out there'? The bit stopped at about 2'+. Damn. Next I got out the garden auger (3"x3') to see it it was a small object I could grind out. Nope. So I put the pressure washer to use to see what was impeding my process? I was hoping it was a soft brick, but it appears to be part of a concrete block at an angle to the hole.

I've tried cracking the block with a piece of rebar and a 3lb hammer, but it just breaks little chucks off. I don't have a lot of room to swin, so it's difficult to use a sledge hammer. Also if I just lay the rebar in the hole it will skip over the top of the block due to the angle it's positioned. I don't know if I can dig it out or sink it, as I'm not sure how big it is. I guess I need a better chisel so I can really smack it. Perhaps some kind of air chisel for my compressor.

All useful suggestions on a better approach for breaking up the obstruction would be appreciated.

Reply to
Bill Stock

Start making the hole wider.

Make sure you're not breaking into some utility line.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Yeah, except my exit hole is only 4". So even if I can free 'the object' it may not come out of the hole. I don't want to make too big a cavern in any event, as I don't want to sink the paving stones above.

I can tell you that it's some kind of concrete and it's HARD. Likely an old piece of wall or foundation. If it were block or brick I would have smashed it by now. I bought a long 60" hard, heavy, pointy thing to hit it with, but it won't budge. I think the pointy thing is a digging/rock bar. I think if I could really swing at it, might make some progress.

My next step is to drill it and then hit it with the pointy thing again.

Reply to
Bill Stock

Mainly I think you want to figure out what it is.

Rock bar would have been my next suggestion. I wasn't sure you had room to use it. They're much easier to use vertically of course.

An electric hammer (like a jack hammer) is another possibility. Rental places have them.

Reply to
Dan Espen

core drill the obstruction...........

use extensions

Reply to
hallerb

Yeah, I think that's my conclusion now too, but it's a $100 a shot to rent.

I discovered tonight that my 18" masonry bit would reach the obstruction, since the nose of my hammer drill will squeeze through the hole in the block. I managed to drill about 4 3/4" holes through it, but still can't crack it with the rock digger. If I pound it four about ten minutes I get to break off a small chunk. Woohoo! :-) Not to mention, the bit is now dull, the chuck is slipping and I smacked my head on the block wall when the bit skittered. It's OK though, both my head and the block are hollow.

On the bright side I discovered the enemy is about 4" thick and made of fairly dense concrete, 30+ years old.

Reply to
Bill Stock

I wondered about an air chisel, but I did not see any bits long enough. I guess an electric hammer is the next step up. I'll have to price them versus a core drill (again).

Reply to
Bill Stock

I guess abandoning that hole and starting another nearby is not an option? You should be able to fill up the original hole okay.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

Not really, since I expect to find more. I feel somewhat fortunate that this one is within hitting distance. So I'd like to at least get past this one before I give up.

Even though the one tunnel needs to be 12', once I get past 6'+ I can dig from the other side. This will not be pleasant either but should progress faster.

Reply to
Bill Stock

-snip-

Old concrete should yield fairly easily. Any chance of welding up some long bits for your air chisel from rebar and some sacrificial chisels? [you mentioned you had a compressor earlier- and if you don't have an air chisel, Harbor freight sells them for less than $20 with a 1/2 dozen chisels]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Thanks, hadn't thought of using rebar in an Air Chisel.

I took Hallerb's advice and bought a shiny new Rotary Hammer. The old hammer drill wasn't holding up to the abuse too well anyway. I just wish I hadn't spent the $100 on the rental two weeks ago.

Reply to
Bill Stock

Only being somewhat sarcastic, and depending on what state you live in, have you tried a large-ish firecracker to push it to the side? Pack in a couple of m-80s or something and BAM.

Reply to
Pat

Yeah, did cross my mind, especially with the 3/4" holes I have drilled in it now. I thought a small "cherry bomb" might crack it. But from what I remember as a kid (lifting garbage cans) it might do quite a bit more.

I'm in Canada anyway, so they can't legally be bought as far as I know.

Reply to
Bill Stock

Yeah, that's just the ticket... Pack some explosive powder deep into the bottom of a horizontal, mostly cylindrical hole about 4" in diameter and set it off. Does that sound like anything familar to you?

Like maybe a cannon?

sdb

Reply to
sylvan butler

good thing you're not claiming to be a weapons expert

Reply to
Wile E Coyote

The trick is to use a high brissance explosive, like a #6 cap, that produces little gas but a sharp shock wave.

Reply to
Nick Hull