Troubleshooting Electrical Outlet

This is generally good advice but won't solve the problem of "ghost voltage" measurements. High input impedance is, for most purposes, a desirable characteristic in a meter to keep from loading the circuit under test. However, low impedance is needed to determine whether a power circuit is really energized or just capacitively coupled to an adjoining wire. This is one job where a relatively inexpensive electrical tester can outperform an expensive meter. (I am not talking about the $2.99 Harbor Freight meter here, but testers such as Klein's Wiggy, Ideal's Vol-Con, or Fluke's 7-600.)

Reply to
Steve

True!

This is one job where a relatively

Also true!

(I am not talking about the $2.99 Harbor Freight

True, and that's a relief! So many posts about that meter/door stop. I usually pay more than $2.99 for a good set of test leads.

but testers such as Klein's Wiggy, Ideal's

Good suggestion.....Mac

Reply to
Ross Mac

Hi Keith,

I'll have to shoot you an email....been busy with the biz I purchased back in March and finally have more time for Usenet....Yup...retirement is over and I don't miss it.....Ross And for the other readers....that was early retirement and does not equal old.... :>)....Ross....well, not that old!

Reply to
Ross Mac

Damn! Don't tell me that! I wanna get out as soon as possible ('06?). Do drop a line when you get a chance.

Uh, me too! ;-)

Have a merry new year!

Reply to
Keith Williams