Toolbelt - Yes or No?

I've never been a "toolbelt" person. Have instead used a small tote/caddy for my stuff. Just saw an ad from Ace Hardware for a toolbelt. Wondering what people think of using them, am I missing out on a good thing? They reason I've not used them in the past is I perceive them as not sufficient to carry all the stuff I want with me like my multimeter, some nuts and bolts, small sockets, screw drivers, new parts, etc.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

It all depends on how much and what you carry. I used a tool belt (pouch that hangs on a belt) for many years at work. I also had to climb lots of ladders and on other things to get to what I needed to work on much of the time, so I needed both hands free. In the pouch were several screwdrivers,

3 nutdrivers, about 3 or 4 open end wrenches, wire strippers,needle nose pliers, adjustiable wrench, and channel locks. Also some electrical and teflon tape.

I could be working on 1/4 and 3/8 inch tubing or many kinds of electrical stuff. I hade a Fluke tester that was long and thin that I often stuck in my back pocket. If I needed a real multimeter, I had one in a case that I carried in my hand.

I also used a bag to keep the larger tools and and other items in such as spray cans of penetrating oil.

Had it not been for all the climbing I think I would have just stayed with a bag and sholder strap.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I wore a tool belt, but it was a small one. Multi bit screwdriver, channelocks, lineman's pliers and wire stripers. It was light enough where it did not bother me.

Trying to fill a pouch with everything you think you might need would make it too heavy to wear. Keep a tool bag or mud bucket for hacksaw, hammer and a tester.

Reply to
Metspitzer

And an apron for small nuts and bolts and wirenuts.

Reply to
Metspitzer

I bought a tool belt once, but it wouldn't fit around my waist. They need to make tool belts up to & including 4x.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Isn't gluttony a sin?

Reply to
God

Depends on the job. Rarely used these days, but having a place to put a hammer when you are on a 25' ladder sure is handy.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Depends on the job.

When working on a ladder, a tool belt makes a lot of sense. When working on a car, not so much.

If I'm doing a job that requires same tools be used over and over again, and the work site is kind of spread out, I'll sometimes wear my tool belt. I also have a cloth apron with 2 big pockets for screws. It beats carrying a box around.

I recently came into possession of a cloth tool bag which I kind of like. It's great for those small jobs where I only need a few tools and it's easier to find stuff in it than in my small metal toolboxes.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

When I work on roof equipment, I carry a strap on waist bag of tools. Including VOM, wrenches, bottle of water, etc.

On mall jobs, I use a fold out box that's about the size of a milk crate, and has two wheels and fold out handle. Was about $20 at Staples, and worth every penny.

Try a cheapie from HF, and see if it works for you. Your tasks may be totally suited to a tool belt.

. Christ> I've never been a "toolbelt" person. Have instead used a small

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Someone spoofing me. I'm a 5xl, not a 4xl.

. Christ> I bought a tool belt once, but it

wouldn't fit around my waist. They need

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yes, and also spoofing on Usenet.

. Christ> >> I bought a tool belt once, but it wouldn't fit around my waist. They >> need

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I use one due to the distances I have to walk to do repairs. It's also handy because it's too easy to forget something. A little plastic food container fits into one of the pouches. That's a good place to store the screws, wire nuts etc. I also have one of these CLC tool backpacks. It has more storage space. Link here:

I'm not sure which one I have anymore. It's about 30 feet from my lazy chair and way too far away to check.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I have one like the 1526 I've had for 20 years and it's still going strong. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Just make a belt out of 3/8" steel avation cable. Secure the cable with two cable clamps on each end. Put this belt on the wsame way you use a regular leather belt. Then attach two heavy duty cable hooks to your toolbox, and hang your 150LB toolbox on your steel cable belt. Now you have all your tools really handy.

Reply to
mancave

Most guys just hold the hammer in their teeth!!! (A great excuse not to have to reply to your bitchy wife when she is bitching about the dust you made while sawing a hole in the ceiling).

Reply to
mancave

For some unknown reason they make the tool belt pouch too low on the tool belts and sometimes the tools spill out when you bend down. It?s almost impossible to find a tool belt that has a high hanging pouch.

Reply to
recyclebinned

This is the kind of thing I've been using... has a pull out drawer along the bottom for small hardware items.

Ashton Crusher

Everybody sing!!

"Do your tools hang low, do they wobble to and fro...."

(Revolutionary war marching song, back in the musket and flintlock days, entitled "do your [musket] balls hang low.)

. Christ>> toolbelt. Wondering what people think of using them, am I missing out >>

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Obviously you need a set of carpenters overalls. They have all kinds of pockets where you can carry stuff. Of course by the time you get them filled they weigh about 100 pounds and make a really great sauna.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

You're acting like an idiot! Quit spoofing me.

Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

Stormin Mormon