Toilet removal

I recently moved into a 6 year old house and one of toilets wobbles. I have tried tightening the two screws but I'm getting so much resistance now I'm afraid if I tighten further, I'll crack the toilet.

I bought a new wax ring and was going to remove the whole thing and start over but I can't budge the 3 screws that hold the tank to the base. Looks like there was a lot of sweating and everything is rusted tight. Any secrets to getting the screws to budge?

Thanks in advance!

Joe

Reply to
OK

Get yourself some new screws and cut the old ones off. It sounds like the flange on your drain pipe may be broken. They sell a repair kit for this, you may want to pick one up before you get started.

Reply to
Randd01

Leave the tank connected to the bowl and take up as one unit.

Thoroughly drain the tank, suck the water out of the bowl with (wife's) turkey baster.

The bowl wobble may be caused by the flange not being anchored to the floor, which in turn may be rotted... You never know what you will run into on one of these, so be prepared for an extended project.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I had this problem and found that it was due to the tiles under the base not being planar. I masked around the base (a Kohler Wellworth long bowl), removed the toilet, placed plaster (not soft dry wall mud,) under the bowl and inside the masking, then set the toilet in the plaster, bolted it down and let it dry.

Boden

OK wrote:

Reply to
EL