thunks in my water pipes

Sorry for the crummy title, but its the best I can describe it.

When I turn on my cold water all the way a muted sounds in the faucet and the fixture jumps a little bit. If I turn it on slowly it doesn't happen but if I have it turned on a little then crank it up fast it still does it. So I presume it's related to how fast I drop the pressure.

Is what I'm hearing water hammer? Is it related to the condition of my 50 year old galvanized supply pipes. More importantly, will it harm my washerless faucets?

Assuming I actually get around to changing out my pipes will this problem go away.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Well after reading a bit about it, it doesn't sound like water hammer at all, but still what would be causing the faucets to jump and move upon opening? Could there really be that much air in my water supply?

Reply to
Eigenvector

Actually it does sound like water hammer to me, but it may be other.

City or well water? Do you have a pressure reducing valve, a expansion tank?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Actually those are THUGS in your water pipes. They are fighting a gang war and trying to steal turf inside your pipes. They are a very violent gang and they are all heavy drug addicts. They also blast loud rap music on their boomboxers. With all this noise going on inside those pipes, it's obviously going to escape when you open a spigot, and worse yet the fighting intensifies whenever water flows because these gangsters are often pushed by the water into enemy territory, thus causing more fighting and shootings. As a result you end up hearing the results of all this violence.

I highly recommend you install a gangster softener in your plumbing system. Not only will the noise cease, but you will find yourself ingesting less narcotics, since these drugs are often released into your water when a drug dealer is murdered inside your pipes during a turf takeover, or during periods of rioting or looting, which often occurs after heavy water usage due to flooding in the city. This is very similar to the Katrina hurricane in New Orleans, but on a smaller scale.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Reply to
maradcliff

Its just plain old city water. I don't have any reducing valves or expansion tanks, really just a plain jane cold water supply system.

I suspect it might be related to the conditions of the pipes, in which case it will have to wait a bit for that to be fixed. I was really more concerned about it damaging the fixtures.

Reply to
Eigenvector

The "problem" is not likely that big. The sudden rush of water into the faucet is causing your pipes to shake against the floor or wall.

Its a very simple and low cost problem to fix. The pipe needs to be straped with plumbers strap to the house.

You can put some insulation around the pipe if you need.

Go to the library and get the book "Readers Digest New Complete Do It Yourself Manual".

If you will email me at snipped-for-privacy@pstel.net I will scan the page dealing with this and send it to you.

Good luck, Bnlfan

Reply to
bnlfan