This NG is a hoot!

I've never seen so many old cranks in any other NG. What is even more interesting is that one can discern from the posting time of responses that most of you old mos must spend a large part of your day posting to this NG. I guess being on "disability" give you a lot of time and posting here gives you something to do.

It's pitiful, but entertaining.

Is anybody here under 60 years old?

Reply to
Zaky Waky

Yah, we got some nutcakes here for sure!

Reply to
pseudonym

On 5/15/2014 1:25 AM, Waky Zaky, Expert Poop Muncher wrote:

Whacky Zacky, what age group are you in and how many nyms do you use? When I was a young man, I did get impatient sometimes with old folks until I realized I would be in that situation someday. Because of that, I was never mean to old folks and the disabled. As a matter of fact I did what I could to help them when I saw they were having a problem getting around and I continue to do it even though I'm disabled myself. Up until a few years ago, I could carry their groceries for them but now I can at least hold a door for someone who's in a wheelchair or using a walker which is something I've had to use before. Whacky Zacky, you're quite the pyrogenic posterior sphincter as proven by your attitude and disrespectful behavior toward the aged and disabled. I would tell you to consume excreta and expire but in your case, that would be akin to cannibalism. I have my doubts that you'll survive to reach the age of me and many of the people who post to this group due to the unhealthy habits and addictions you share with those of your ilk who are some of the nastiest cretins I've ever met. Whacky Zacky, I don't think you'll make it to 60 and you'll be lucky if you reach 50. I certainly won't be around to witness your decline into poor health and what will probably be dementia because of the brain damaged caused by your consumption of recreational chemicals and your inhalation of the toxic byproducts of combustion from several plant species. It's very satisfying to me to know that you won't reach the age of those you disparage and treat with so much disrespect. Karma is a bitch ain't it? ^__^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

You asked this a few weeks back. Are you that lame as to have to use the same troll every month? Did you already forget this has been asked? By the time you are 60, you will be so pathetically brain dead you will post this every day.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Possibly but doubtful because that is about the age when youthful idiocy disappears.

Reply to
dadiOH

Well , I'm over 60 and retired ... but I have a large garden , some "livestock" , and a part time machine shop . All right here on The 12 Acre Wood

Reply to
Terry Coombs

| I've never seen so many old cranks in any other NG.

I have. I find the crowd here to be mostly intelligent and courteous. Many of the tech groups I've visited have a high population of what I'd call unsocialized geeks, who tend to be mean-spirited, close-minded, and barely literate. I recently decided to check out philosophy groups, but ended up dropping them because even when someone posted a coherent, interesting post, most discussion tended to degenerate into "atheist mania". (I never knew "atheists" were such an irrational, steamed-up bunch. They hang around in the philosophy groups, awaiting any opportunity for a bilious outbourst about their inflamed belief that they don't believe anything. :)

| Is anybody here under 60 years old?

I am, but just barely. I find that an interesting point. I think the people in most newsgroups are mostly older. The baby boomers know the Internet as a public information and sharing medium. Younger people have grown up in a commercial culture. They spend their youth in commercially owned shopping malls and live their social lives hosted by corporate service companies like Facebook. For the most part, these are people who have no experience of citizenship in any part of their lives. They know themselves and others as "consumers". They go online to "consume" services from Facebook, Foursquare, etc, in lieu of a social life.

I find the whole thing both fascinating and scary. Newsgroups are a simple, text-based conversation medium that can provide help in almost all areas of life, yet their "unofficial", non-commercial nature -- the fact that the participants pretty much make the groups what they are -- makes them virtually invisible to people who live as consumers.

And what about you? Surely you must have something

*useful* to contribute? Are you handy? Do you have skills that might be helpful to others? Do you need any help with handyman issues?
Reply to
Mayayana

Nice insightful post and well said. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

It's an interesting mix of people. Add to the mix, the web portal folks who have no clue what Usenet is. Spammers who want to sell vinyl windows in Detroit, and the occasional flamer.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Good post and reasonably accurate, I would judge.

One point, not all atheists - or believers/acceptors - are irrational. I've been an atheist for 65 years and I, for one, consider myself to be rational and I don't care what others believe. If that is a bilious outburst, so be it :)

Reply to
dadiOH

Hi. No, he won't even remember his own name or any thing.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

My policy has been to treat everyone's beliefs with respect until they give me a reason not to. Such as threatening to behead me if I don't convert to their religion. O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

If you don't convert to Mormon, I may send people out to ring your door bell. Then, you'll be sorry.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

On Thu, 15 May 2014 09:41:34 -0400, "Mayayana" wrote in

Good points. Well said.

Reply to
CRNG

| One point, not all atheists - or believers/acceptors - are irrational. I've | been an atheist for 65 years and I, for one, consider myself to be rational | and I don't care what others believe. If that is a bilious outburst, so be | it :) |

There seems to be somewhat of a movement happening:

I hadn't really noticed until I saw the posts of the people in the philosophy group. I think most of the people I know are either atheists or can't even be bothered to think about it. We've become a country of "scientific materialists" or "concretists". (It's hard to even come up with a name because the view that religion is mostly irrelevant has become an unconscious assumption in the mainstream.) But the atheist "movement" seems to be essentially a new religion that sees itself as standing against the oppression of organized religions. They feel a need to actually assert what they view as rational thought, forcefully rejecting all possible realities or aspects of reality save for the basic knowledge that can be confirmed by scientific observation. Ironically, they seem to be vehement and thoroughly irrational in their attitudes, very much like a fundamentalist religious cult. The cult of scientism. :)

Reply to
Mayayana

They'll have to squeeze by the Jehovah's Witnesses :)

Reply to
dadiOH

Seems silly to me, a fruitless endeavour that has virtually zero chance of success (success being changing someone's mind) because those of opposite view are operating on faith.

Reply to
dadiOH

Forgetting what one posts is the second sign of senility...

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

No doubt past the yellow crime scene tape and the chalk outlines!

Reply to
Todd

Hi Pops,

Both sides are. Not you.

Some athiest I come across believe more fervently in God than I do. The difference is that they hate him and I love him.

I have come across the same thing Mayayana speaks of. Mainly from Left Wing athiests. (Liberalism is actually a religoun: tells you what to think, what you can eat, who to be nice and mean to, what you can wear, what to listen to, and on and on. More strident than any other religoun I have come across.)

As you said, if you really don't believe, then it doesn't matter and no need to flame anyone. And no need to hate God.

Speaking of pushing 60, I am debating whether or not to become a "toothless old fart" or a "Curmudgeon". Still working on that cane shaking thing: "Ki-ki-ki-kids these days!" Now was that two shakes or three? Got the toothless part down pretty good so far. But, Curmudgeon sounds more fun.

Still having too much fun (trout fear me!).

-T

Reply to
Todd