Thermostat question

I'm curious.

For a house with central air, is the thermometer located in the same module as the control switches?

So if the control thingy is located in let's say the kitchen, and you turn your AC to run auto at 70 degrees, and the kitchen is 80 degrees while all the other rooms are 65 degrees, the AC will keep running anyways?

Reply to
Martin Lynch

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Martin Lynch) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Yup.

Reply to
Wayne

Me too, learnt a buttload a bout all kinda things cause of it....

Yes, usually theres some kind of indicator of current temp as well as a target setpoint for system controls switching on all but the most basic of thermostats.

Yup.........

And its called a "thermostat".........

The temperature where its located will control the entire system, regardless of the temprature in other areas, so long as its only a single thermostat connected.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

A kitchen is not a good place for a thermostat

Reply to
m Ransley

HUH?

I guess if you mean, is the part that registers temp, located in the thermostat, the answer is yes.

Yes. Unless of course, the system is zoned, or you have a remote sensor that will over-ride the thermostat. If its zoned, you will prob have remotes anyway..or should....but most of the time, the thermostat is located near a return, and NOT in the kitchen, or bathroom.

Reply to
steve

That was pretty much my point.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Since the subject has come up, I'd like to piggy-back on this for a minute. In addressing some of my A/C problems incident to a replacement of 30 y.o. system, part of the plan is to install a second return, then zone the hot end of the house and add a 2nd (maybe portable) thermostat. While I'm getting 10 year parts and labor on the sytem, per se, the warranty on the whatever it is that goes in the vents to close them off, etc. is 3 years. Makes me think that maybe that state-of-the-art isn't quite ready for prime time use. Any thoughts. My current thought is to let them install the 2nd return as part of the system reinstall, which includes re-wrapping all the existing sheet metal vents but then wait a year and see how the new system works without the zoning. Yes, I know it will cost more to have them come back and do it. If it makes a difference, the new system will porobably be a heat pump vice straight A/C so that I have a back-up heating sytem to the hot-water baseboard. Any thoughts from all you experts. You sure have helped me a lot in the past. TIA Roy

Reply to
royroy

Main reason you never install a thermostat in a room with alot of heat or humidity,the unit will run more then it has to cause it thinks the whole house is as hot as that one room when it isnt.Also most acs should be set at 78 or 80 degrees to save money and electricity.In winter furnaces 68 to 70

Reply to
PoCambo

My in-laws called the repair guy one winter after they moved their TV to right under their stat. They couldn't figure out why they always got so cold when they were watching TV. The guy poke around the furnace a while then when to check the stat and immediately saw the problem. TV on = lots of heat so room must be warm enough! Had it been summer, they would have had the same problem: TV on = lots of heat so room MUST need more AC!

Reply to
mwlogs

M > My in-laws called the repair guy one winter after they moved their TV to M > right under their stat. They couldn't figure out why they always got so M > cold when they were watching TV. The guy poke around the furnace a while M > then when to check the stat and immediately saw the problem. TV on = lots M > of heat so room must be warm enough! Had it been summer, they would have M > had the same problem: TV on = lots of heat so room MUST need more AC!

"Trick" we used when the apartment complex I used to live in switched the thermostats to the type that used a fixed sensor and were locked (utilities paid) -- if the a/c sensor was 78ø placing a lamp under the thermostat warmed the area and cooled the apartement. (Heck, the electricity to power the lamp was paid also!)

  • Not Quites: I  NY; I . NY; I  NY.
Reply to
barry martin

Hi Martin, hope you are having a nice day

On 27-Aug-04 At About 11:27:27, Martin Lynch wrote to All Subject: Thermostat question

ML> From: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Martin Lynch)

ML> I'm curious.

ML> For a house with central air, is the thermometer located in the same ML> module as the control switches?

ML> So if the control thingy is located in let's say the kitchen, and you ML> turn your AC to run auto at 70 degrees, and the kitchen is 80 ML> degrees while all the other rooms are 65 degrees, the AC will keep ML> running anyways?

That depends, some thermostats are capable of having a remote sensor

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2

Hi Wayne, hope you are having a nice day

On 28-Aug-04 At About 01:30:06, Wayne wrote to All Subject: Re: Thermostat question

W> From: Wayne

W> snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Martin Lynch) wrote in W> news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

W> Yup.

Unless there is a remote sensor somewhere in the house.

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2