The end of newsgroups?

MS Windows 7 will not have an e-mail program or a newsreader. Does this mean the end of newsgroups like this one? Even Windows 7 has no newsgroup from the MS News Server. Looks like the newsgroups are being replaced by web based forums. Is this correct. Will hate to lose alt.home.repair

Reply to
Walter R.

The lack of an included program to *read* newsgroups does not mean that usenet is disappearing.

Reply to
dadiOH

I heard this is for Europe as MS wants to avoid tangling with officials there who have gone after MS as a monopoly.

Personally, I use Mozilla programs, Firefox for browsing and Thunderbird for email and ng's.

Reply to
Frank

Clearly computers allow you to install programs above and beyond what they have "out of the box". If you should happen to find yourself using that OS you could simply download and install whatever you need.

Reply to
George

Wrong on both accounts.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

No.

Here's what's going on:

Personally, over a year ago when I got a new computer with Vista it was a real PITA to untangle MS software from taking over my computer and getting what I wanted installed.

Reply to
Frank

There are many news readers. Mozilla has Thunderbird and Seamonkey both Linux and Windows versions. There is Pan (MultiOS) (free)and NewsRover (paid Windows only) and dozens of others you can pay for. I personally think WEB based news is a disorganized bunch of crap. I can't never find anything in WEB formated news. I can't even find my own posts. That is pretty screwed up.

Reply to
Hipupchuck

Not even remotely close to what the OP was talking about. Windows7 comes with WindowsLive, the new name for Outlook Express, which handles SMTP, POP, and NNTP protocols (mail and news).

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Agree

There are TONS of other readers out there!

I like and use Agent

Reply to
me

Bad information.

There is no newsgroup for Windows 7, until it is officially released October 22.

Windows 7 Feature Focus:

Pricing:

Oren

Amen!!

I hate web based forums!!

Reply to
me

Not at all. It means you will have to get a free or paid for third party program that supports newsgroups.

Reply to
Steve Stone

Unless he is buying it in Europe- to satisfy the anti-MS PTB over there, they plan to release it w/o a browser. Not sure how they expect people to download patches or a different browser, but hey, what the PTB want, the PTB get. I presume stores over there will have near-free CDs of browsers when you buy bundled hw/sw, or shrink-wrap OS copies.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

The PTB just said that MS can't include it free as part of the OS and that it can't be an integrated part of the OS. But others can include the browser. For instance, if Dell wants to include Firefox on their boxes, they could. If I read the release correctly, the computer makers can include a stand alone version of IE if they want to. It is just that MS can't require they take the browser as part of the OS.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

And actually the browser not being an integral part of the OS is not a bad thing.

IMO it is a good thing.

To some extent it may limit the ability of scammers to "hook" into the OS.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

"EU to pursue antitrust case, despite Windows 7 E"

*The EU has decided to pursue its antitrust browser case against Microsoft despite the software giant's decision to unbundle Internet Explorer 8 from Windows 7 in Europe.

The EU can't make up their mind. Now they want IE as an option??

Reply to
Oren

According to the trade rags I get at work, what EU really wants is for MS, at their expense, to bundle ALL the browsers on the CD or factory disk image, and have the user pick one during the initial setup sequence. Sorta like Ma Bell having to include all the pretend phone companies in the instructions in front of the book, before they said the hell with it and stopped making their own phone books.

In short, they want MS to give a free distribution ride to their competitors.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

And competitors stand-by, licking their chops.

I cannot image the work that went into the OS so MS could pull the tentacles of IE out of the code. :-))

Reply to
Oren

You can use free Agent. My Usenet service (from AT&T) will end in about 2 weeks. May stop reading/posting if I can not get (free) Eternal September server to work with Agent.

Reply to
Phisherman

As more ISPs drop Usenet, there will be fewer posts.

Reply to
Phisherman