I have several large 12V 7.5AH rechargeable batteries that were left to
me to power the automation system in the house. Problem is, the sytem
says the battery is low, and while I know one of the batteries is a new
one and therefore good, I don't know which one. I have a multimeter
and I'd like to use it to test the batteries to see which one is the
best to use in the system. Excuse my ignorance, but I don't know what
setting on the multimeter to set it to to test the battery.
Additionally, since the problem may be with the charger itself and the
batteries may be fine, the batteries may not be charged at all. Is
there some way to test to see if the batteries are good even if they
you need to test not only for voltage but current capacity.
set meter at something above 15 volts dc and check disconnected
battery. shouuld get at least 12 volts or thereabouts
now connect battery plug in device, check voltage again, should be
around 13.8, the voltage the battery charges at.
now let us know what you find and feel free to e mail me
batterys last only a few years at best, yours are probably both bad
What kind of batteries? Lead acid, nicad, NiMH
or?? A fully charged lead acid battery is 12.65
volts. If it is plugged into a charging system
you need to let it sit unconnected for at least 1
hour and 3 hours would be better to get an
accurate voltage reading. Any reading less than
12.4V would indicate battery capacity is reduced.
BTW, the charging system should be putting out
Set your multimeter to DC voltage at what ever
range is the closest too but greater than 13V.
The answer to your question is NO. You can't
tell anything about a battery if it isn't charged.
However if a 12 battery (of any kind) reads
below 10V it is probably ruined and below 9V
severe damage is almost certain.
I have several batteries for my rechargeable drill. After several years they
started loosing the charge faster and faster. My son told me that the
instructions with his DeWalt said that if this happens, to leave the battery
in the charger for a few days after the charge light went out. This seems to
have solved my rapid discharging problem.
On 19 Jan 2006 17:50:20 -0800, firstname.lastname@example.org wrote:
Power it when there is a power failure, right? Normally it runs off
of house current, right?
The one that is lowest is probably the bad one. Disconnect each one
and use the scale that is 15 volts or higher, but as close to 15 as
possible, on DC, direct current. The good ones will probably be
within 0.1 or 2 or 3 or maybe 0.4 of each other. The bad ones
significantly lower usually. But if they were bought at the same
time, they are likely to fail at similar times, even if they have
never been used (there were no power failures, and they weren't
connected to anything when they were moved to your house.)
I doubt if all the chargers, or any of them, are bad. Even more than
th ebatteries, they should give voltage readings (again on DC) that
are close to each other. But if one is substantially lower than the
others it may well be bad., Again, for the testing, the batteries have
to be disconnected, from the chargers and either the AC current must
be connected and powering your system, or the chargers must be
disconnected from the system as well as from the battery.
Preferably the second one. This is a pain in the neck, so I would
just replace the battery, give it time to charge, a day, and expect
the Low Battery Indication to go away. If it doesn't go away, then
you can worry about that.
Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.