Stubborn valve stems

Thanks. Just paying back. Maybe some future shower fixer might get some ideas. I still would rather have a reliable plumber or handy man do these things. Now looking for a garage for the car. Same story ... they use "the book" for labor charges which tells me they either don't know how to do the work or don't understand how to set their own prices.

I used to run a small service and repair bidness and we used our own records of costs, overhead and margin to set pricing. It's not that hard to figure out. You never hit it right where you plan, but at least that's a start. You can always adjust prices.

I used to go to a small garage for basic auto mechanic work, until they started using "the book." I was over there last week and they said business was really slow. Every other car repair place is covered up with work. He's a good guy, so I told him to go back over the year and figure out his true costs and overhead, and then use that to set his rates. Plus, the dude's shop is only open M-F 9-5.

Reply to
Guv Bob

Didn't need it. I just turned it back and forth a couple of times until it broke loose. Didn't even have to tap it with a hammer. And that 3-ft steel bar worked a lot better than a rachet or screwdriver handle - centered it in the wrench and it came loose right away.

Reply to
Guv Bob

I recommend these....

I doubt you are taking business away from a shop. They get their business from people who need something done right away. Those shops want to get something in and out quickly, don't want to fool around with hobbyists.

Reply to
Guv Bob

Maybe put the bead of caulk most of the way around the flange. Leave a gap at the bottom where any water that does get in can drain out.

Reply to
nestork

Hope you are training a younger person, in the art. Not many vac tube guys left. I've got a couple dozen I harvested over the years. And used to own a vac tube tester, which got lost years ago to unfortunate situation.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

a couple of times until it broke loose. Didn't even have to tap it with a hammer. And that 3-ft steel bar worked a lot better than a rachet or screwdriver handle - centered it in the wrench and it came loose right away.

Thanks, glad to hear. I like to put a bit of grease or Rectorseal or Neversieze when I put things back together. Hope to make it easier for the next disassembly.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon