Strong unbearable chemical smell in bathroom (2023 Update)

replying to Stormin' Norman, Jymmeh1993 wrote: We didn't paint anything at all, and the vanity is the original, only replaced the sink in the vanity but it's separated from the shower/tub and toilet, and the smell is on that side not the "powder room" side (when the door between the two sections is shut that is)

Reply to
Jymmeh1993

I used some old paint once to paint a room. It stunk for a couple months.

Reply to
Vic Smith

I'm wondering if you have mold/mildew in the wall or floor. Every have any leaks or missing caulk around the fixtures where water cold penetrate? Mildew can have kind of pungent chemical odor.

Reply to
Ameri-Clean

OK, the last thing I can think of that would produce a chemical, not septic smell would be a synthetic toilet seat. Did the new toilet come with a polymer seat?

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

...or a padded plastic seat. (Good call, BTW)

Here's s a link to a thread related to padded toilet seat odors.

DerbyDad03

Make sure all of your traps have water in them. Pour water down the sink and the shower drain. That should stop any odors coming from the pipes.

Reply to
John G

Is it a sulfur smell?

We had a case where a strong odor was present when we ran water in one bath room, but nowhere else in the house. It turned out there was a colony of b acteria in the drain. When the water ran it pushed hydrogen sulfide odor o ut. A cup of bleach down the drain cured it.

Reply to
TimR

Dan you are wrong. I had 2 bathrooms remodeled about 5 yrs ago. 1 bathroom is perfect no problems. The other bathroom has the EXACT same issues desc ribed A very strong chemical odor which does resemble the smell of the grout. I ts as if it never dried AND funny thing is, the grout which is black DOES o ccasionally run. And I have black grout stains to prove it. The other bath room has brown grout. I'm just as baffled so please keep me informed. Connie

Reply to
connie.steffey

I had the exact same issue with a bathroom I had renovated about 5 years ag o and it still smells of a very strong chemical smell which I do believe is coming from the grout black grout which still occasionally runs I have bla ck stains in my shower from this grout that still bleeds the color it's alm ost as if the grout should have been sealed I don't know but it's baffling. And did smell does get very strong in the room in the bathroom when I keep the door closed when I open the door it does help and the smell doesn't se em two be noticeable in the Next Room. Connie

Reply to
connie.steffey

I wish you found the culprit. I'm going through this now. Newly renovated b athroom and I can't even use it because the odor is so bad. for me, I have a double sink vanity. The smell is 100% coming from the left side cabinet/s ink but after deep cleaning, the smell just got stronger. It's as if the sm ell gets worse whenever I run water in that sink. And yes, it only smells i n there, it doesn't travel to the hall.

Reply to
sljagdeo

bathroom and I can't even use it because the odor is so bad. for me, I hav e a double sink vanity. The smell is 100% coming from the left side cabinet /sink but after deep cleaning, the smell just got stronger. It's as if the smell gets worse whenever I run water in that sink. And yes, it only smells in there, it doesn't travel to the hall.

Since it smells worse when you run water, perhaps there is mold in the drai n pipe. Pour mildewcide or bleach in the drain, and in the overflow hole. A nother possibility is perhaps the vanity was made with bad particle board, in which case a coat of KILZ should seal in the odor.

Reply to
Ed60062

Don't have much to go on here but I'm guessing you didn't have a real plumber install your vanity and you now have an improperly vented drain.

Reply to
Ed

DID YOU HAPPEN TO PUT IN A NEW ACRYLIC BATHTUB??....I JUST PURCHASED ONE AND IT STINKS!!...HONESTLY IT SMELLS REALLY BAD...LEAVES A TASTE AND A FILM IN YOUR MOUTH...I'M AFRAID TO INSTALL IT IN CASE THE SMELL DOESN'T GO AWAY.

Reply to
jkerr1635

Jmy, I am having the same issue. Just remolded my bathroom and I have a chemical smell as well. I did some investigation and spoke with Home Depot about the smell. What I found so far by me smelling in the Bathroom and the web is the Adhesive pads / glue on the vanity top. The mar ble top is glued to the wood and the smell seems to be coming from there. A lso HD explained to me that this happens in some cases. He explained that t his is a bad batch of glue that was used. The ink beat to know it is bad is waiting a few days after it drys. Of course manufacturers don?t wa it. Since this is uncommon. I plan to either exchange the vanity or remove the glue myself and re glue the marble top on the base. If I was you I woul d start to smell everywhere u can and try to pinpoint the smell as best as you can. Try to remove some things as well.

Reply to
jesse.h.aldaz

Guys, same problem over here in Brooklyn. I spent a week assuming my fauce t was to blame for a heavy toxic chemical smell that occurred every time I turned on the water hot or cold... after eliminating the pipes the faucet (just replaced with a new one) the supply lines, and the drain, I discovere d that it was the cheap piece of shit sink itself!

When water drains through the sink air comes back up through the alternate drain hole on the side... Whatever chemical shit they used in China to seal , paint, or manufacture this cheap fake sink smells terrible. For now I put a piece of tape over the hole and the smell is gone.

Hope this helps! I?m also looking for tips for a more permanent so lution that wouldn?t involve asking my landlord to buy aither new s ink.

Reply to
jazzuerr

Reply to
yawarfaraz1

I seem to have a similar problem. I am thinking it might be mold in the gr out. This is because I sealed the grout and the smell along with the dark color went away. However, a week later the smell returned. Also, the smel l gets more intense after a hot shower is used. So I plan to have a mold r emediation tech treat the grout with Hydrogen Peroxide this Friday. Althou gh I am not sure if it would penetrate the grout sufficiently to kill all o f the mold. But lets see if it works. Using vinegar may be another way.

Reply to
yawarfaraz1

replying to jkerr1635, Yeager2019 wrote: What did you end up doing to make the smell go away? We are dealing with same issue now, the smell is overwhelming and has not dissipated over the last week.

Reply to
Yeager2019

We are experiencing the same exact thing. Replaced tile in shower and put in new toilet. Very strong chemical smell that lingers in bathroom. Not a sewer gas smell.

Reply to
matthewdavisclt

You're not crazy hun. Don't listen to that other person that responded he's crazy! I built a 5400 square foot home 15 years ago. And I flipped 11 houses. I've never smelled the smell before. Until today. I'm at my son's house babysitting his dogs. Every time I went in the bathroom I had trouble breathing. I didn't really smell anything. I was getting a little chilly out because we're supposed to have 25 degree weather tomorrow, in the month of May, which is crazy. So I shut the bathroom door to get it warmer in his house. An hour later I went to go use his bathroom, and I literally almost passed out. I had carbon monoxide poisoning before and the symptoms felt a a little bit like that. But the carbon monoxide I could not smell this has a very strong adhesive odor. I left a message on my plumber friends voicemail waiting for his response. So I started looking on Google and I found this thing that I'm writing on. As soon as I find something out, I'll let you all know. I'm using voice text cuz I cannot find my glasses. So hopefully voice text road I was incorrectly cuz I can't see what this is writing lol.

Reply to
suzysly23