Strong unbearable chemical smell in bathroom

On Monday, October 10, 2016 at 9:32:27 AM UTC-4, Stormin' Norman wrote:

...or a padded plastic seat. (Good call, BTW)
Here's s a link to a thread related to padded toilet seat odors.
http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/how-get-rid-new-plastic-toilet-seat-odor-super-strong-116845/
On Sun, 09 Oct 2016 21:14:02 +0000, Jymmeh1993

I used some old paint once to paint a room. It stunk for a couple months.

Make sure all of your traps have water in them. Pour water down the sink and the shower drain. That should stop any odors coming from the pipes.
Is it a sulfur smell?
We had a case where a strong odor was present when we ran water in one bath room, but nowhere else in the house. It turned out there was a colony of b acteria in the drain. When the water ran it pushed hydrogen sulfide odor o ut. A cup of bleach down the drain cured it.
I had the exact same issue with a bathroom I had renovated about 5 years ag o and it still smells of a very strong chemical smell which I do believe is coming from the grout black grout which still occasionally runs I have bla ck stains in my shower from this grout that still bleeds the color it's alm ost as if the grout should have been sealed I don't know but it's baffling. And did smell does get very strong in the room in the bathroom when I keep the door closed when I open the door it does help and the smell doesn't se em two be noticeable in the Next Room. Connie
Dan you are wrong. I had 2 bathrooms remodeled about 5 yrs ago. 1 bathroom is perfect no problems. The other bathroom has the EXACT same issues desc ribed A very strong chemical odor which does resemble the smell of the grout. I ts as if it never dried AND funny thing is, the grout which is black DOES o ccasionally run. And I have black grout stains to prove it. The other bath room has brown grout. I'm just as baffled so please keep me informed. Connie

new

mical

the

t,

llway

we

as

After two months all smells associated with the renovation should have diss ipated. Pulling the toilet and installing a new wax ring is one possibilit y, but you said it is a strong chemical smell like grout. Maybe one of the products that you used for the remodel is having a bad reaction with anoth er product.
Did any garbage get left inside of the walls?
Is the vent pipe for the bathroom plumbing clear of any obstructions?
Do you have critter problems? Somethings they get into places they cannot get out of and die. That smell lingers for a long time.
Try contacting the grout manufacturer.
On Sat, 08 Oct 2016 15:14:01 +0000, Jymmeh1993

Did you install a new vanity and or counter top? What are they made of? If the counter / sink is a synthetic, that could be the culprit. If the vanity cabinet is a pressed wood product, it could have been manufactured with inappropriate glue such as one might find in product not made in the USA.
Also, did you install a new wax ring with the new toilet?
On Saturday, October 8, 2016 at 10:14:04 AM UTC-5, Jymmeh1993 wrote:

I'm wondering if you have mold/mildew in the wall or floor. Every have any leaks or missing caulk around the fixtures where water cold penetrate? Mildew can have kind of pungent chemical odor.
I wish you found the culprit. I'm going through this now. Newly renovated b athroom and I can't even use it because the odor is so bad. for me, I have a double sink vanity. The smell is 100% coming from the left side cabinet/s ink but after deep cleaning, the smell just got stronger. It's as if the sm ell gets worse whenever I run water in that sink. And yes, it only smells i n there, it doesn't travel to the hall.
On Tuesday, September 5, 2017 at 7:13:19 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

bathroom and I can't even use it because the odor is so bad. for me, I hav e a double sink vanity. The smell is 100% coming from the left side cabinet /sink but after deep cleaning, the smell just got stronger. It's as if the smell gets worse whenever I run water in that sink. And yes, it only smells in there, it doesn't travel to the hall.
Since it smells worse when you run water, perhaps there is mold in the drai n pipe. Pour mildewcide or bleach in the drain, and in the overflow hole. A nother possibility is perhaps the vanity was made with bad particle board, in which case a coat of KILZ should seal in the odor.
On 09/05/2017 08:13 PM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Don't have much to go on here but I'm guessing you didn't have a real plumber install your vanity and you now have an improperly vented drain.
On Saturday, October 8, 2016 at 11:14:04 AM UTC-4, Jymmeh1993 wrote:

DID YOU HAPPEN TO PUT IN A NEW ACRYLIC BATHTUB??....I JUST PURCHASED ONE AND IT STINKS!!...HONESTLY IT SMELLS REALLY BAD...LEAVES A TASTE AND A FILM IN YOUR MOUTH...I'M AFRAID TO INSTALL IT IN CASE THE SMELL DOESN'T GO AWAY.
Jmy, I am having the same issue. Just remolded my bathroom and I have a chemical smell as well. I did some investigation and spoke with Home Depot about the smell. What I found so far by me smelling in the Bathroom and the web is the Adhesive pads / glue on the vanity top. The mar ble top is glued to the wood and the smell seems to be coming from there. A lso HD explained to me that this happens in some cases. He explained that t his is a bad batch of glue that was used. The ink beat to know it is bad is waiting a few days after it drys. Of course manufacturers don’t wa it. Since this is uncommon. I plan to either exchange the vanity or remove the glue myself and re glue the marble top on the base. If I was you I woul d start to smell everywhere u can and try to pinpoint the smell as best as you can. Try to remove some things as well.