Strange thing going on.

Sounds like a brown out to me (upstate NY). Since the lights are dim at the same time the fan runs slowly it doesn't sound like something inside your house. Perhaps your electric company drops the available power at night since there's less usage? You might try calling them and explaining the situation.

Two points. When you treat a mound, you might think they're dead, but they've just moved, probably to the neighbors place. Plus, have you given any thought as to what it would cost to treat 450 acres?

Reply to
JC

clipped

Treating a mound means that, when applied properly and they aren't disturbed, they take the bait to the nest and the mound dies. That is the label claim and the apparent result we have seen in our yard. As for 450 acres, no, I don't know the cost. A one-pound canister costs around $15, I suppose.......have had it for a long time and don't recall the cost. I know when we treated our entire property, again, not by broadcasting, we didn't use an entire cannister. I suppose the cost becomes attractive if livestock losses approach the cost of the product. I don't have any livestock to worry about; just a hubby, kids, grandkids and guests :o) Since you question it, I did a search on "amdro livestock texas" and got some interesting hits, including one that bears out my estimate that our property was relatively free (we could dig and work in yard without being attacked) for about a year. As I mentioned before, seems if young calves are most susceptible to being killed by fire ants, then having a concentrated area of more protection for them seems logical. Before my husband and I discovered Amdro, others in our condo had dumped bags and bags of other "fire ant killers" on the lawn with no noticeable effect.

Norminn

Eventually the ants will just stop eating the Amdro. They didn't live a 100 million years being dumb enough to fall for that very long. I don't think I have an ant around here that will eat Amdro, Terro or any other "sweet" bait.

Reply to
gfretwell

clipped

Imported fire ants haven't been exposed to Amdro for "100 million years".......who knows, after killing off lots of them perhaps only "super" fire ants will exist (kind of like the bacteria/antibiotic breeding). Terro works great for me ... have used it in my home over about 40 years. When I have grease eating ants (going after a tiny speck of shredded cheese), I surround their tidbit with Terro, they get to the drops of Terro and soon tell their friends ...... most Floridians keep all bread and sweets in fridge because ants are so invasive.

Reply to
Norminn

Had same problem for two years.Turned out to be bad ground on transformer on pole.Drove me crazy I just remembered about it when I saw your post.Also check line comming into breaker panel. Jerry

Jerry - OHIO

Napalm?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

DDT will do it. And yes, you can get it. DDT will kill Fire Ants for a hundred years after only one application.

Reply to
HeyBub

Right. Could be Texas, Chichuahua, or Coahuila.

-- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson