Splitting retaing blocks

I'd like to split some retaing blocks in half, so that they would be half the height of the original blocks. These would become capstones for another project. The stones are 4" high by 8" deep and (9" and 6") wide. I'd happily pay someone to split these for me (30 blocks) assuming they did a decent job and I could not buy a machine cheaper.

Any thoughts on the right toy to cut these? I gather something wet would be best, but anything I've seen would require two cuts. An 8" depth of cut is required. The 14" cutoff saw looks interesting, but would still require two cuts and be a tad dusty.

Reply to
Bill Stock

Bill,

You may get better answers if you will tell us what these blocks are made out of. Is this masonry?

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

The cutoff saw is about the only way of doing it and you probably won't be happy with the results. A brick saw won't have enough depth of cut, but would leave a cleaner cut and have less dust but more mud.

It would be a lot easier just to pop for the cap stones, particularly if you did a halfway decent job with the wall. It doesn't make sense to try to save a few bucks and botch up the most visible part of the project.

RicodJour

Yup, and good luck getting those two cuts to line up... The only thing with enough depth of cut would be a band saw.

If these are concrete "stones" who knows what they look like on the inside... Voids, dead animal skeletons, etc..

You'll be money and time ahead getting the proper stones for the job, even though it's killing you to have to throw these away.

Reply to
mkirsch1

Its easier to put the concrete forms together and make capstones than cut the existing blocks.

Lets see, a 14" cutoff saw has a maximum depth of 5" and require 2 cuts. Those 2 cuts will not line up and requires some grinding. Also a jig will be required to hold the blocks in the vertical position. Expect some breakages too. Take more than couple of hours, a 14" $130 diamond blade, whole lot of mess and may burn up the gas saw too. Go buy capstones, shouldn't be that expensive and looks better too.

Reply to
<Frank>

Thanks, but they don&#39;t make capstones for these blocks and I want to match them to a nearby retaining wall. The stones are to cap a pond. Believe me if I could buy them I would. Maybe I&#39;ll have to settle for close.

Blocks are concrete for those that asked.

Reply to
Bill Stock

After the first block is cut you&#39;ll settle for close, maybe even not close.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Or he could go for complement, or even accentuate. It&#39;s all in the verbiage. ;)

RicodJour