Spa Wiring Project

Here is what I have: I have a brand new Sq.D 200 amp Homeline panel installed in my garage. I have an available 50 amp breaker.

What I plan to do is run 1" UV-resistant 41UM Rigid PVC along the foundation above grade for a distance of 50 feet to a Sq. D. Spa Panel using four strands of #6. Anyone with a license see any problems with my conduit or wire sizing???? I plan to have a separate 5/8" copper ground rod just for the spa.

Reply to
Silencer

I guess I can't answer your question because I don't have a license.

Does the spa actually need a neutral wire? (maybe for a light or a convenience outlet)

You never said how many amps the spa draws, which is important for figuring the voltage drop.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

zxcvbob wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

It appears to me the spa needs four wires. The unit draws 40 amps.

Reply to
Silencer

You haven't provided enough information for anyone, licensed or not, to answer that question.

Specifically, it's necessary to know the wire type (THHN, THW, RHW, etc) and the amperage required by the spa, before you can determine if #6 wire in a 1" conduit is appropriate.

Reply to
Doug Miller

No license either, but a couple of things I know, after installing mine. The breaker must be at least 5 feet away from the spa, and within sight of the spa. So if you can see the 200 amp panel from the spa, you shouldn't need a separate box for the install, right? The breaker must be a GFI-type. Your wire gauge seems good to go. Your conduit must be anchored, what, every 8 feet? Could be less... Again- I am NOT licensed! Tom

Reply to
tom

I used a two pole 50A GFI breaker. Mine needed 4 wire as the heater/pumps ran on 240V but the light and control panel ran on 120

Reply to
Rudy

I hope you meant an "ADDITIONAL" ground rod.

You spa ground must still be connected (bonded?) to the main service ground.

The purpose of an "additional" ground is to provide a return path to ground for some "stray" voltages. It helps ensure that there is no significant voltage difference between, say, your grill and the frame of the spa.

Reply to
John Gilmer

Coupla points in adddition to what has already been said. I maybe wrong (always a distinct possibility) but isn't UM41 water pipe? You should be using schedule 80 conduit.

At least in the AZ sun, pvc conduit is going to look like a snake after a while. I would (and did) consider burying it. The underground part could be schedule 40 then.

If you're using THHN, the usual Home Depot stuff, then 6 AWG should do it even when derated for temperature, assuming that your spa is like mine, rated as a 40A load.

Conduit big enough to meet the code for the number and size of conductors and conduit big enough to actully pull the wire through are two different things especially if you have any bends.

Reply to
Wes Stewart

Anyone that can afford to purchase and pay the electric to operate a spa is wealthy. Use some of your wealth to hire a licensed electrician. Feel free to run the pvc conduit yourself.

Reply to
jsaefajhf

Oh, please. The purchase of a spa is one thing, but running the electricity for the new ones really costs very little, maybe $10 a month, certainly less than your high-speed Internet connection. Your suggestion to hire the electrician should be based on safety considerations, not your unfounded assumptions about someone else's affluence.

Reply to
KLS

Well. I just installed mine so I have no bill yet to compare to. That said, while I haven't had the heater turned on for several days, I have it set to maintain 99F. It's currently at 101F, so if I work it right I guess I can put juice back into the line and lower my bill.

Having an outside temperature that hit 109 on Sunday probably doesn't hurt, until I turn on the A/C and then the spa heater goes into the noise.

Since it just started to sprinkle about 10 minutes ago in Tucson and the humidity is going up I guess turning off the evaporative cooling and turning on the A/C is going to happen momentarily.

Reply to
Wes Stewart