Snake sunning on my tentant's front steps

I have a tenant who is frightened by a snake occasionally sunning on the front steps of the apartment. I have not yet seen the snake, though I assume it is a garter snake - harmless and common in Massachusetts.

Any thoughts on how I can get the snake to sun somewhere else?

Thanks, Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles

OldRoads

Probably easier to educate the tenant.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Call animal control?

Reply to
Meat Plow

ever seen a Rat snake? i live in mass, and the first time (and everytime) i've seen one of those, well, let me tell ya, its a jarring experience.

Reply to
mike_0_007

Remove its head?

Reply to
longshot

I normally remove the tail instead... :)

(Although for anything but venomous would rarely resort to such extremes...)

But, if it is frequenting the same area, probably means it has a nest nearby and while overall they're a good ecological niche-filler, having an infestation right at an entrance is probably not a good thing (tm)...

--

Reply to
dpb

Snakes aren't territorial, so if you can just scare it away a couple of times it will move on to a different location. In the meantime, whether its a garter snake or rat snake, it's helping rid the area of other undesireable critters --

Reply to
JimR

put some pieces of carpet tape here and there on the stoop. If you want it to work the first time, put the carpet tape on top of some clear plastic. (Works for pets on the sofa, too)

I think you will have problems with your tenant if you continue to describe him in such unflattering terms.

Reply to
mm

"JimR" wrote in news:fwBdi.1802$W snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

It could also be a copperhead.(venomous)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Is this a classic tenant that won't lift a finger to help him/herself, wants the landlord to fix/make good everything. Animals that are outside and move on their own accord should be worked out between the tenant and the animal, not needing you to intervene.

Reply to
EXT

There is a product widely available called "Snake Away". It's in powder form and the primary ingredient is sulfur. Snakes do not like to crawl across it, but it does no harm to the snake, people, or environment. Sprinkle it around the apartment and steps and the snake will move to a more suitable location.

KC

Reply to
KC

Absolutely correct, when they find a spot they like, they'll keep returning to it, but if she just disturbs it a couple of times, it'll move on... and the real vermin will return

Reply to
RBM

The way I look at it, the snake wouldn't be there if it didn't have food; and I would rather have a snake than rodents. My wife doesn't agree with me on this.

Reply to
Toller

I would suggest she call animal control. Then I would stop answering the phone when she calls. Good grief!

Reply to
Norminn

LOL, I like how you put it. Something makes me think the poor snake is not going to be happy about the arrangement :-)

D~

and Discussions Community of the Net Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 218928 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
thestuccocompany.com

I'd remind her that the lease said no pets... then send her to animal control.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

The tenant does need to make some decisions. If they called me, about an alligator in the pool... dial 911..!

-- Oren

Oren

I'm thinking it has taken residence because there is some sort of food supply nearby.

Two thoughts.. Could there be mice or other small varmints that it is feedig on?

Another thought is that if the steps are a dark color they will absorb heat more quickly than if they are light in color. Maybe consider a color change.

As far as killing the snake.. I've killed my share of them but if there is a way to run it off that might be more humane.

It may be living under the steps or in a crawl space. Maybe look for it's point of entry and block it.

Kate O|||||||O

Reply to
Kate

Huh? What exactly was the unflattering term the OP used?

Reply to
Larry Bud