Slooooow!

DSL not working today. On dial up which fortunately I retained for just such a day. How did I ever stand this before I got DSL? It's incredibly slow - or something is wrong with my connection. Said 45K when I dialed it up though.

Praying my DSL comes back soon!

Reply to
KenK

I am typing this very slowly so as not to overwhelm your dial-up connection.

How fast is your DSL? When I moved from my then-current phone company's DSL to Verizon and their cable-modem connection to the internet I said to myself "How did I ever stand being on DSL?" :-)

Man, I can't imagine what dial-up must be like. I wonder if it's worse than using my smartphone as a mobile hot-spot.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I wanted to keep my dialup, but was in a hurry. Now I figure I'll dig out a modem when the time comes, and hope I haven't forgotten how to do the initializing string.

I found dial-up fast enough for email and newsgroups, and audio. Slow for the web and too slow for video.

Last night I got my friend's computer working and downloaded 5000 emails, representing 78 days since January 19. It took over an hour, and it seemed very slow. This was DSL but wifi, with a big CRT monitor right between the router and the wifi receiver. Would that make a difference? I know at 80 feet wifi is slower than Cat5, but what about at 18". Is it any faster than, maybe because of fewer lost packets? Anyhow, I did other things during the hour.

Reply to
Micky

DerbyDad03 wrote in news:99646e10-c546-48a3-8ddd- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I have no idea. It's back, by the way.

When I went to DSL I first checked into the local high-speed internet services. All were either tied to also paying for TV (which I never watch) or had terrible service and product reports. DSL maybe slower, but at least I've had very few problems - only out twice, a few hours, in all the years I've used it. Fast enough for pleasant Usenet, email, and Google research. I've not tried Youtube or other video - will some day.

Reply to
KenK

I had dial-up as a backup for the first few years after getting cable internet. Now, I use a 4G device

BTW, we got cable internet in 2003, but DSL won't be available until this summer (IIRC). Maybe that's because the cable has been so good.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Try

I'd be curious to see how much DSL has improved since I used to use it. I'm not home right now, but I'll try to remember to run wired and wifi speed tests on my various devices tonight and post the results.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I just tested mine on that site and I am getting 9.96meg down, 720k up

Reply to
gfretwell

Are you saying you get 9.96 megs per second download speed? I did not know that was even possible. I'm on dialup, and that is all I can get in my rural location, unless I was to pay well over $100 a month for satellite tv and internet. I have no need for the tv part, and wont pay that much anyhow, particularly when I am finding the whole internet becoming more and more worthless lately.

My dialup internet is included with my landline phone at no extra cost. I cant even make phone calls from my cellphone at home (poor signal), but can usually send and receive texts (If I go outdoors, because my aluminum siding blocks all signals indoors). So I need a landline either way....

Anyhow, a local restaurant gets me 1.2 megs per second download speed. I thought that was incredibly fast. At our library, I only get 300k to

550k downloads (sometimes even slower).
Reply to
Paintedcow

It's too bad that the Paintster has me plonked because my numbers might blow his mind.

He doesn't think 9.96 down is possible? Wait until he sees my numbers.

Wired PC - 61.97 Mb down, 6.22 Mb up iPad - 44. 89 Mb down, 6.52 Mb up Android phone - 60.54 Mb down, 6.2 Mb up

Of course, these numbers will vary with each test and will be slightly lower when multiple devices are accessing the network.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Wired PC 29 Mb down, 5 up Android phone at other end of house from router, 16 down, 5 up

That's with cable, lowest/standard speed. Cablevision has two higher levels of service speed available for additional cost.

Reply to
trader_4

That is what I pay for (10m) and it seems pretty consistent. This is coming into my house on copper but I think the fiber concentrator is about a half mile away. If the fiber as nearby that "central office" they talk about is a box about the size of a keg cooler on the side of the road. It sounds like your telco has not laid any fiber anywhere near you. We were fortunate here when Sprint bought out our little mom and pop phone company in the 80s and did a fiber/buried copper upgrade, not knowing cell was going to eat the POTS business.

Reply to
gfretwell

Cable is a lot faster here too but Comcast reliability stinks and their customer service is simply dismal. My cable drop is still swinging in the air, from the hardline as high up as I could reach. I set their modem on the curb and told them to come get it.

Reply to
gfretwell

TWC Customer Service is pretty good and petty consistent.

Verizon Wireless, on the other hand, is about as inconsistent as can be. Sometimes you get reps that know what they are doing, other times you can't even get them understand the issue, never mind provide a solution.

Their Tech Support is usually pretty good and will stick with you until the issue is resolved. It's their billing and general customer service reps that are really hit or miss. My family has been known to leave the house if they know I am calling Verizon Wireless. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

11.28 DL, 0.85 UL.
Reply to
KenK

I am suspose to get 50 meg on my cable. By the TWC (Time Warner Cable) speed test I seldon see 30 and usualy less down. I do get atleast 5 or slightly over on the up like I am suspose to get.

Some of the other test sites will give 35 to 40 down and the same 5 or slightly over up.

I have been thinking about getting in touch and finding out why I am not getting over 30 reported by their speed test. I have bought my own modem,but it is the one they recommend on their web site and it should be capable of atleast 100 or more if cable was sending it.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Wired or wireless can make a difference, as can the device. As I noted, the speed on my iPad is 10Mb slower than my Android phone or wired PC.

Actually, that just made me chuckle.

The 10 Mb that I *lose* on my iPad is faster than some others get in the first place and 20 times *faster* than PaintMan can get at the library.

Man, that must s-u-c-k!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

With cable internet, you are sharing a node with a bunch of your neighbors. Your speed will vary based on what they are doing.

Reply to
gfretwell

I live out of town and have no idea how many might be connected to the same node. Being retired I am able to get on at all kinds of hours of the day and night. It seems that it does not make any difference what time of the night or day I check the speed there is not much difference in the reported speeds. Only about half of what they advertise.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

It really doesn't have to be that way. I have Comcast's 100/20 package. It *always* tests and performs 120Mb/24Mb.

Reply to
Joe (not really)

I have Comcast 75mb service. This morning it was 90/12 on Speedtest.net On xfinity.speedtest.com it was 20/12 Just checked ten minutes ago and it was 33/12 on Speedtest.net. And about 2 minutes ago it was 90/12 again. On xfinity.speedtest.net it stayed at 20/12. Anyway, it's fast enough for me.

Reply to
Vic Smith