Shower on finished concrete

We're in the planning stages of a new home to be handicap accessible. The floor will be finished concrete requiring no floor covering. The only information we have found on roll-in showers for wheelchairs do not address using bare (but decorative) concrete for the finished shower floor. They all specify a floor pan and then motar and or tile. Does anyone have some ideas and/or comments on this subject?

Thanks George

The concrete would have to be sealed, and unless you want to seal it frequently, you'd probably want to use an epoxy. As an alternative you could hold the slab (I'm assuming this is a slab on grade) down in the shower area 1/2" to allow for tiling.

You didn't mention how you were draining the shower area. You should probably visit some drain manufacturers' web sites to see how they recommend handling your situation.

RicodJour

Last time this question came up, somebody recommended doing a search for 'ADA architectual guidelines'. I think there are pamphlets and spec sheets floating around. A roll-in/walk-in shower should not be a big deal to spec out- you do need some sort of minor lip at entry door to bathroom, but it can be tapered to not be hard to roll over, and a curb at bottom of wall (raised sill for the wall framing) will keep water from wicking under. Shower floor can be recessed for tile, or they can texture and seal the concrete. Appropriate slopes for drainage to floor drains, of course- one in shower, and one at center of bathroom itself. Not that different from what they do in an industrial locker room, like at a factory or hiway department garage. (or at a high school gym or public pool, for that matter.)

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers