Shower Floor Ideas

I am in the process of remodeling my basement bathroom. My original idea was to have a non-tiled, dyed, concrete shower floor. The issue I am having is that I can not find any information on a best practice for doing this or more importantly whether or not this is even a feasible solution.

Everything I have come by has to do with installing a pre-fab shower pan (fiberglass or similar) or constructing a mortar shower pan and tiling over it.

Can anyone tell me if concrete or cement can be used solely for a shower floor? If so, I assume I would still want to install a CPE (chlorinated polyethylene) membrane. Then seal around the drain at the membrane with silicone or polyurethan and finally build a sloped concrete base inside the closed pan.

If this is a feasible and practical solution, is there any specific type of cement or concrete I should use. I definately want to avoid cracks and my brother-in-law had suggested using an acrylic concrete.

Should any specific curing compounds/agents be used? Sealents? Issues to be aware of?

Reply to
jon.f.goodrich

ask your inspector what type of insulation is required in your area.

Reply to
buffalobill