septic problem

Whenever we

It doesn't look like a J, it's just a section of white pvc (pcv?) pipe sticking up out of the ground with a cap on it. The septic guy told us to buy a huge bag of salt, the kind the farmers use around here (don't know what *they* do with it) and put it down that pipe. He said that would prevent tree roots from growing into the pipe.

Sometimes I miss my old home. This country girl business has it's down-side! Nothing will make you feel more uncivilized than having a screwed up septic system. :) The positives far out-weigh the negatives, though. Have a good one, Gayle

Reply to
gnb

The idea is to pick the sink that is furthest from the hot water heater. That way, the maximum number of faucets get the fast hot water. If you have branches, the efficiency is not as good, but still better than none.

In our case, the furthest sink is a half-bath off the laundry room in the garage. Unfortunately for us, the house baths are in the opposite direction from the water heater which is in the center of the house. So we get fast hot water at the dishwasher, kitchen sink, washing machine, laundry tub and half-bath sink. We get an improvement in the two house baths, but not really quick. Before it would take about 45 seconds to get hot water in the furthest shower. Now it takes 20 seconds. Not great, but acceptable. If you are fortunate enough to have all the hot water faucets in series away from the hot water tank, you will have a great system. Where we really get help is with the dishwasher. You are supposed to let the kitchen faucet run until hot, then turn on the dishwasher. It was painful to watch all that cold water go down the drain waiting for that to happen. Now, it's 1 or 2 seconds and we're ready to go!

Dick

Reply to
Dick

Slow percolation is caused by dense clay/rock underneath the top soil. It's rare in the lower half of AL/GA, but can occur in isolated pockets.

Hey, we got our share and sent the rest in your direction! Some folks just can't accept a gift. ;>)

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

What I did was look in our homeowner newsletter for a handyman/gardener type. I found one that had put in a lot of swales. He did a great job, but I felt really sorry for him. It was pouring rain when he did the job, and he was working in all that mud and soaking wet as well. He said he didn't mind, but I told him I was glad I had an inside job. :-) It took him two full days to put in

85-feet. That's a lot of rock to move in a wheelbarrow.

Dick

Reply to
Dick

Dick,

The furthermost use of hot water in my house is the washroom which is directly in back of the bath. Actually the usage starting with the furthermost would be washer, sink, shower. According to your directions where would the recirc be placed? And I do have a basement.

Reply to
Jack Allen

Reply to
Michael Baugh

yellow

Thanks for replying yet again! Oh, I bet that man felt a great sense of accomplishment in a job well done and most likely took pride in the fact that he didn't let the rain stop him. I can imagine him at the end of the day, warm and cozy after a shower, kicked back with his feet up enjoying a cup of coffee and feeling strong and healthy. Either that or he went on a two day bender , griping the entire time about his aching back and bones.. ;) I'd like to think it was the former. Gayle

Reply to
gnb

Reply to
Dick

And what pipe would this be? This cleanout you're talking about, it is between the house and the septic tank? Of so, pouring salt is just going to end up in the tank.

Is the pipe leading into the tank?

Or is the pipe access of a seepage pit (dry well)?

--Mike

Reply to
Mike Fritz

The way I wrote that last post does make it sound like the pipe sticking out of the ground was clogged with tree roots, doesn't it? When we first moved here I had over-flowing toilets and water from the washing machine spilling out onto the floor when I first tried to do a load of laundry. The man who came to check it out said that the septic tank was full and that tree roots had grown into the pipes. Then he told us to put some salt into that pipe sticking above the ground. You're right, that would put the salt into the tank. Perhaps the roots had grown into the pipe going out of the tank and into the leach field? I have no idea, as you can probably tell by reading my posts. :) Anyway, I don't care about that pipe at all. I was only responding because someone took the time to reply to my original message. I was mainly concerned with my saturated leach field and the water bubbling out of the ground. Oh, I don't know what a seepage pit (dry well) is. I'll look it up. :) Gayle

Reply to
gnb