Septic failure? stinky house!

As another respondent said that's peculiar at best. You sure it wasn't a mortgage company or similar requirement and not municipal?

I looked at the NJ disclosure form -- it asks half-dozen questions re: sewage system and includes whether has been inspected to confirm is actually a septic tank/field or just cesspool and if is answered to be septic system asks for date of installation and location.

Also asks about whether are abandoned or closed systems on property and if so whether were done in accordance to local statute.

Ends section w/ question of any problems over all plumbing including sewage system.

But, this is a disclosure form not an inspection so doesn't say anything about requirements, of course.

Everywhere I've been it's been an occupancy requirement that the system is functioning correctly but that can be so w/o pumping for a properly functioning system.

It's possible (virtually anything's possible) just highly unusual that would be an actual requirement.

--

Reply to
dpb

whenever I start smelling the septic in the house (basement) it is time to get it pumped.... Cost me $250!

It solves the problem but then I also have to put sand around the rim of the iron spetic lid or the smell continues to 'flow' out in the driveway from around the lid

think - pump out is always step one....

paul

Reply to
Paul Oman

Oooops...... my gaffs about the pumping requirements and outlet pipe being higher than the inlet, (I meant lower), sure got me into a world of ***t, didn't they. I'm afraid I was assuming most municipalities are operating in the 21st century, as they are here in Washington. Below is just the requirement for King Co. (Seattle).

Reply to
Ed Mc

"EXT" wrote in news:4b05d5f2$0$65833$ snipped-for-privacy@auth.newsreader.octanews.com:

???

Reply to
Red Green

Ed Mc wrote: ...

"INSPECTED" not "pumped" == big difference. That's not uncommon and hasn't been for quite a long time. ("Even" TN over 10 years ago... ;) when we left there.)

--

Reply to
dpb

YES!

Reply to
hrhofmann

The (probably late by now) humorist Erma Bombeck (I think) even had a book by that title- 'The grass is always greener over the septic tank'.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

LOL. I forgot about that. The prior owner of our house had built a patio over the septic tank, a dark pink one. With a hole where the lid was, and flowers planted there. At least in the 8 years we were there, we didn't have to dig up the tank. I was there 40 years later, and no one was ever home so I went around back to look, but the thick snow on the ground prevented me from seeing if the pink patio and the cement pont were still there. (The pond was 3 feet by 18 inches by 8 inches deep.)

I left an antique lightbulb in the bedroom closet fixture when I went off to college, and I forgot to tell my mother to take it before she moved, so I was going to see if they still had it and would give it to me, 40 years later. I'm usually an optimist, and we went 8 years without using the light in the shallow closet. Maybe other owners went 40 years. Stopped by 9 times in 3 days but they were never home.

I can't call them because I haven't been able to find out their name.

It was my grandmother's lightbulb, from her pantry, and it had a point at the end. Must have been from the 30's at least??

Reply to
mm

No, it was a requirement by the township in order to get a CO. I don't know why you'd find it peculiar. Two of us here have reported it from different areas. Obviously different locations in the US have different requirements on all kinds of things.

Yes, and the NJ form looks like it was done by total idiots. Real sharp and pertinent questions like "Have any repairs ever been made to the roof? If so, explain." I guess we're all supposed to keep a log book now, like you would for an aircraft, and record that one shingle blew off in 1987 and was replaced.

Reply to
trader4

5499b77$ snipped-for-privacy@news.flashnewsgroups.com:

How many resale homes have you seen where the seller actually gives a warranty? In my experience I've never received one and never given one, nor would I. A small number of sellers offer a very limited warranty on some basic things like appliances, hvac, etc through one of the ripoff plans, but never heard of one that would cover a septic system. The only place I've seen warranties are for new homes, in which case some states require them.

Reply to
trader4

MM! check out 411.com - you can do a reverse address search to get their name and #

Reply to
mike_0_007

snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@l13g2000yqb.googlegroups.com:

There are implied warranties to the extent that things are functioning properly at the time to the best of the sellers knowledge...not hacked and patched to evidently hide. And it's understood that certain things can be working fine today and a week later go kaput like an appliance. Things like a roof leaking first rain, septic system failing in a week, basement leaking or something else in an "unreasonable time" can become issues. That's were legal hands get involved and the buyer has to show the seller had knowledge of the problem without stating it on the RE disclosure. Sometimes the buyer gets screwed and sometimes the seller. The lawyers alway$ win.

When say some foreclosed homes are sold, it's stated all over the paperwork it's sold "As-Is Wthout Warranty" implied or not. Besides them often being trashed, that's why you get it at a reduced price. And it often can say the seller "may or may not have knowledge" of issues. To try and recover after signing and buying under these conditions would be $rough$. To buy a home on a regular sale at market value under such warnings would be insane.

That's my unprofessional understanding.

Reply to
Red Green

Oh, gosh. I'm supposed to keep track of such things. I use that site and missed that it had this. Thanks a lot.

Posted & mailed iiuc.

Reply to
mm

tehaleks had written this in response to

: Hi again, thank you everyone for your replies so far. I wish I could answer all your questions but some things I honestly don't know and would have to ask my fiance - unfortunately he is not all that concerned with the septic tank, I guess he says as far as he knows his parents have never pumped theirs but maybe once in the past 25 years they've lived there so ours is "probably" fine... but he's not home during the day to smell what I smell, and he hasn't stepped in the goopy puddles at the end of our yard.

Some of you asked about the home inspections - we did get an inspection done but it was just a general inspection, nothing specialized, so I don't think he checked the septic, but IF he did, I know he did not say anything bad about it on the inspection (our home was a flip, we bought it just after it had been finished).

Some of you mentioned "fingers" in the yard you'd see in the grass, I guess perhaps the drain field is a lot closer than I thought. I will take photos later, but as you walk into our back yard, you go out the back door, cross the gravel driveway and pass the garage, go down about 15ft from the edge of the garage and there is only ONE lift-off top for the septic tank, I don't see another one anywhere. Then about 8-10ft down the yard past that is a flat area of our yard where some of the grass is dying in little blotchy spots (I also think there used to be a pool there, the first time we saw the home there was a perfect circle spot of dying grass). But there is also a young tree planted on the far end of that flat spot, which I thought was a no-no?

Continuing the tour of our yard, if you go down from the end of blotchy grass (which is about 30ft wide and 15ft deep), go about 20ft from the young tree there is a large well established old tree, beyond that the yard is bare down to the forest about 60ft beyond that, and just past the old tree is where the yard starts getting squishy, the old tree also marks the start of the dramatic slope.

OH, here is a big black corrugated plastic pipe somewhere between where the septic tank is and the flat splotchy grass field, that is kind of peeking out of the ground. I feel like this was probably supposed to be buried at some point, it kind of poses a danger if you're mowing your yard.

I don't know if this tour was necessary, just trying to help you help me, I've lived in an apartment all my life! :P

I have spoken to the neighbors a little bit, I have not asked them any specific questions but none of them have ever had anything bad to say about the state of the home, just that another young couple lived here previously and had a hard time paying their bills.

I think that answers most of the questions in this post so far, I will have to reread to make sure. I really appreciate all the thoughts in this issue so far!

Reply to
tehaleks

A septic tank working properly does not smell! Except when the inspection cover is loose and rain or surface water is getting in and softening the floating crust. Solution make sure rain and surface water are diverted round the septic, make sure water does not form a pond on the septic. A drain field should be laid at an angle of one in two hundred! I would guess from your description that your drain field is laid in a direct line down the slope and the waste water is merely running straight to the bottom where the ground is overloaded and sodden. One solution is to relay the drain field in a series of zig zags so the each line is at the correct angle of one in two hundred. A cheaper option is to dig a series of diagonal French drains across the yard to move the surface water to the side and stop the ground from being overloaded.

Reply to
Perry525

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

I take it that there are just the two of you living in the house.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I can tell exactly what is wrong with the system--- it's all tore up! Larry

Reply to
Lp1331 1p1331

:

Hire a professional who will pump it and inspect it. If there are only

2 of you in the house and there is a problem so early, it will get far worse if you add more people - kids. If you hired a professional inspector before you bought the house, he may be liable.

If your septic becomes a neighborhood nuisance someone may call in authorities and you may be liable for fines until you get it fixed.

Reply to
Frank

Don't you think that some, if not many of the places that require a septic system inspection would require that the tank be pumped as part of that inspection? Just to show you I'm not nuts, I did a bit of googling. Here's some examples of pump out requirements prior to a sale or obtaining a CO that I found:

Manalapan, NJ requires proof that the tank has been pumped within the last 2 years

Huron, NY Requires an inspection which must include a complete pump out
South Carolina State Dept of Health has a sample ordinance for municipalites to adopt. It requires an inspection which includes a pump out.

Iowa requires an inspection which includes pump out

trader4

That sounds like a pipe that is carrying away rain water, most likely from the gutters. Could also be from a drain on a higher area, like where water would pool outside the house, etc. In which case, it needs to be able to let water run out on the ground and not be burried. That could also be a source of your excessive water. If someone routed the rain water to the area of the leach field, that isn't a good idea. Take a look next time it's raining, or if you see evidence of the same pipe at the gutter leaders, you could put a garden hose in and see if water comes out.

You need to convince your husband to get a septic system inspection ASAP.

Reply to
trader4