Sears, I'll miss the tools

I'm reading bad news about Sears/KMart. If Sears goes t*ts up, I hope they hand off the Craftsman line. I always had good luck with their hand tools.

Reply to
oldyork90

You might want to RE-READ the story!

"Sears, which has more than 4,000 full-line and specialty retail stores"...

"said yesterday that it will close 100 to 120 Sears and Kmart stores"

Bill

sears sold off craftsman tools and most other assets years ago... thats why craftsman tools are available in all sorts of stores today.

sears sold off craftsman, were trying to sell off the kenmore brand, coldwell banker real estate, allstate insurance, their fiancial services / credit card unit and others.

this created lots of $$ for shareholders.......

the downside, these assets kept the retailer afloat when business would get bad for sears retail.

rumor has it sears will go bankrupt soon, as the article describes they were borrowing money over christmas, normally a cash cow time of year.

sears lost me as a customer years ago. intrusive attempts to push credit cards at the registers without enough help to check out customers. long lines formed. i once left a bunch of expensive tools at a backed up register, and told a store manager here these are yours ..... i went to the nearby home depot and bought essentially the same tools for much less...... is sears a retailer or a credit card provider pick ONE

in fixing up my moms home for sale i had her sears furnace with air serviced. they charged 2 travel charges for the same tech to swap tool kits at his truck.

its ripoffs like this that drove me away from sears. they dropped the satisfaction guaranteed or your money back policy too.

sears where america no longer shops at.....

Reply to
bob haller

i.e. less than 3% -- probably not nearly enough, IMHO.

I noticed this comment by one analyst quoted in the article: ?The only reason why people buy at Kmart is because it?s close. No one would buy at Kmart if they?re closer to a Walmart or Target."

It brought to mind something I'd read about ten years ago, that WalMart's market research showed that something like one-third of the people shopping at WalMart drove past a Kmart to get there.

I haven't been inside a Kmart for years. There used to be one about five minutes from home, but it closed around 2002, and now I don't even know where the nearest one is.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Not exacly

Craftsman is a line of tools and lawn and garden equipment controlled by Sears Holdings Corporation; the brand is owned by KCD IP, LLC, a special purpose entity created by Sears Holdings forsecuritization purposes.[1]

The tools are sold in Sears, Kmart, and Orchard Supply Hardware stores (all three owned by Sears Holdings), as well as Fastenal,[2] US military Army and Air Force Exchange Service stores, andAce Hardware.[3][4]

The Craftsman Industrial line is sold by industrial supplier W. W. Grainger[5].

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

Luck is exactly what you've had. Lucky they didn't break on you when you needed them the most. I quit buying Craftsman tools 40 yrs when I became a professional mechanic and the closest Sears was 90 miles away. They're junk.

nb

Reply to
notbob

K-Mart did not allow Salvation Army kettle volunteers outside their stores. Walmart not only allowed Salvation Army solicitations, but tasked their employees to ring the bell if not enough SA folks were available.

People notice things like that.

Reply to
HeyBub

Yeah, they do. We had a Salvation Army kettle volunteer who was berating people who walked past without throwing money in his kettle. That made the local news after customers complained.

Reply to
Hell Toupee

I'm going to miss the Craftsman line, too.

.

You might want to RE-READ the story!

"Sears, which has more than 4,000 full-line and specialty retail stores"...

"said yesterday that it will close 100 to 120 Sears and Kmart stores"

Stormin Mormon

Did the manager promptly try to sell you a MA (Maintenance Agreement) on the tools you left behind? That would be the Shears way.

They lost me in 1996 when I worked for them, for four weeks and two days.

.

[...]

I find that Kmart and Target are both retail stores, which is reasonable. Walmart, tends to be light weight, less quality items for lower prices.

I've been in Kmart, the last few months. I was looking for a fairly specialized item. Found one close enough in Target, actually. One friend of mine loves the blue jeans that Kmart sells.

.

I noticed this comment by one analyst quoted in the article: ?The only reason why people buy at Kmart is because it?s close. No one would buy at Kmart if they?re closer to a Walmart or Target."

It brought to mind something I'd read about ten years ago, that WalMart's market research showed that something like one-third of the people shopping at WalMart drove past a Kmart to get there.

I haven't been inside a Kmart for years. There used to be one about five minutes from home, but it closed around 2002, and now I don't even know where the nearest one is.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

There was a KMart not too far away from our former home, and we shopped there once or twice but quite because the experiences were so bad. Until two or three years ago there was a KMart not far from our present home, and we shopped there when they had something decent on sale, but my opinion of them plummeted even further when on one occasion I tried to exit through the garden section (which would have brought me closer to where I had parked my car) and found that despite the illuminated Exit sign the doors were locked -- probably illegal.

Sears was one of the anchor stores in our local shopping mall, but it closed maybe five years ago. There is now a small Sears dealer store not too far away, and we've bought sale items there.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Untrue. The holding company that owns Sears and Kmart also owns the Craftsman trademark.

Also untrue.

Also untrue. Remainder snipped; clearly, you have no clue.

Reply to
Doug Miller

No, they don't.

If that's what you claim as the reason for Kmart's decline, you have a seriously warped view of the world.

If you walk in a Walmart, it's bright, clean, modern. Merchandise stacked to the ceiling. With the exception of inner-city stores, the staff at the checkout are clean, cheery, efficient, and helpful.

Go in a Kmart, and step back in time to 1982. Most of them haven't been cleaned since 1982 either. Half the checkout staff appear to have eaten large quantities of lead paint as children. They're slow, untrained, crotchety, and clearly do NOT want to be there.

I don't know how they whip Walmart employees into feeling good and acting positively for such a low-paying job. Maybe they're just selective about who they hire, and Kmart simply can't find anyone to work for them, so they hire anyone who can stagger through the front door.

Reply to
dennisgauge

On Dec 28, 10:54=A0am, "Stormin Mormon"

Wow, I've never found ANYTHING to buy in a Target. I only go in there if I'm in too good of a mood and need to be disappointed.

Kmart has decent furniture, and they are the only ones that sell work pants that fit properly. Otherwise I would not go in there at all.

Reply to
dennisgauge

But you followed your point with a Preposition?------- Sears, where America no longer shops.

How about this. The spider crawled slowly the banister along . Sounds better now. : o )

Reply to
joevan

joevan wrote the following:

Throw me down the stairs my hat.

Reply to
willshak

Looks as though it was written by someone whose native language is Hindi, which has postpositions rather than prepositions.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Is hat a preposition or a prop o sition?

Reply to
joevan

You know, editors and people who can type correctly are rare, to find.

A sentence was missing a comma The Usenet, dissolved into drama The OP wrote he dint gib no f-ck It was just his bad luck The net nanny it was his momma!

Before the sad typist was back in the saddle His Mama did give him a dose of the paddle He turned his back She gave him a whack And now, he's back to typing his prattle (C) 2011, Stormin Mormon

.