Roof estimate questions

Read it again. Get it? Read it AGAIN. The half inch plywood gives a consistent nailing base. You can put a roofing nail ANYWHERE and have it hit the minimum required half inch material to hold the nail. Without the plywood, you have a roughly 25% chance of not hitting wood at all, and a high chance of just catching the edge, splitting the wood and not holding the nail..

The lath gives the roof strength. The plywood seals it and holds the nail.

Reply to
clare

Invering the row AND leaving the tabs was faster and simpler, and, according to some old-timers, made a stronger bottom foot of rooding - where many roofs fail first (partly due to facsia boards being higher than the sheething, causing a little "valley" or "dip" across the roof just up from the eaves.)

Reply to
clare

Sounds like "ice guard" if it was only on the bottom edges and/or valleys. Some "premium" roofers put down a full "torch down" membrane like is used on flat roofs. THAT is expensive, though.

Reply to
clare

"Jay-T" wrote in news:hfeusc$o8t$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

From your replies to the various comments people have made, it sounds like you have a decent roofer lined up. Hope it works out for you.

Reply to
Red Green

Faster & simpler, sure-- but what kept the leading edge of tabs from flopping in the breeze? That tar isn't put there just to hold the little plastic strips. It keeps the wind from getting under the tabs. If you just turn the shingle around, the tar is about even with your nail line and nothing is holding the tabs.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Thanks again! I think that sounds right.

Jim

Reply to
Master Betty

Mabee I didn't explain myself. The bottom course of shingles goes TABS UP, and STONE DOWN and is nailed to the roof. The first row of finish shingles goes on in the normal way, and the 'tar strip" bonds to the "back" of the inverted and flipped and nailed down "starter" shingle.

Some roofers put the "starter course" on stone side up - it works either way.

Reply to
clare

Thanks. It definitely helped having the input I received here before I met with the roofer again on Saturday. I had a chance to go over more details and he seemed to be right on the money on everything. Plus, I got more info on his background and experience, and it turns out that he worked for a lot of years for another roofer that I know (who now only does large commercial roofing jobs) before he started his own company. He said he'll be doing my job late this week or the beginning of next week, so I'll post back how it goes.

Reply to
Jay-T