Roadside assistance insurance

I've heard from several sources that auto insurance companies tend to increase their charges if claims are made. As I see it, the most likely claim would be a flat tire change if the policy covered such. Mine charges $7 a year for this, towing, etc. Should I buy AAA or AARP roadside assistence insurance - ~$55 a year - and drop the coverage on the auto policy? I suspect an insurance rate increase is going to be much more than the $55.

Or am I wrong and such a claim or claims will not cause an increase - nor windshield cracks - only accidents, or whatever, caused by the policy owner's driving errors?

TIA

Reply to
KenK

Can't disprove it by me!

I've had auto insurance with the same company for 5 yrs. Same price for 4 yrs. The only time I've made a claim is when the fuel pump failed in my driveway. I called the insurance company to get my "roadside assistance". The company support operator claimed my policy didn't include roadside assist. I went in house, got full copy of policy, and told operator on which page of my policy indicated I DO have r/a. She said, "I don't have a copy of your policy", like that was an excuse. Long story short, I paid to have my vehicle towed and the insurance company re-imbursed me. Three months later, my new policy came due. They upped the fee by $75 yr.

nb

Reply to
notbob

It takes 7 yr w/o a claim to break even on the additional 1 yr cost--doesn't look like a good deal to me...

I've used the windshield coverage several times (once on each of several vehicles, not multiple on one) and seen no indication of getting "dinged" (so to speak) for it by Farm Bureau (not State Farm nor Farmers or one of the multitude of others with "Farm" in their name). I'd make no claim on a commercial carrier rather than a mutual company.

My best guess would be it'll be carrier-dependent and also frequency and cost of any claims dependent rather than a generic rule, however. That is, you get stranded somewhere in the middle of the AZ, UT, NV desert country 250 mi from anywhere and it'll cost a whole lot more for 'em to come and get you than if you're in the 'burbs somewhere 10 minutes from a service center.

Reply to
dpb

Not quite sure but believe insurance will increase if claims are above a certain dollar value. Don't think a few dollars matters. Wife has both AAA and on insurance. Car recently towed by AAA but $15 over their range limit and insurance company paid the $15. AAA seems pricey and I don't get it myself.

Want to save money on insurance? Take a defensive driving course. AARP's on line a couple of years ago cost about $15 but saves me about $75 in insurance for three years.

Reply to
Frank

I never thought about it before wrt insurance but it's farmers who put bread on our tables and support the backbone of America. It's no surprise they sell good insurance.

OTOH, isn't the State Farm a place they put criminals and have them do farming tasks during work hours? I'm not sure I want to criminals to see my credit card number

Reply to
micky

I have been driving for 40 years and never once called a tow truck.

So $55 x 40 years = $2200 wasted

How many years have you been driving? How many times have you actually needed a tow truck?

FWIW, the best insurance is to hang up the cell phone and keep your eyes on the road.

Reply to
Philbert

You're confusing an insurance company with a bunch of criminals. Oh, wait, they are the same. Carry on.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Good thinking.

I've never had such insurance either.

In all the years I've been driving the only time I really would have needed some help was when I got a flat tire. I was not totally healed from knee surgery and I did not want to risk messing up my knee or dealing with changing a tire on a busy street.

I just drove slowly to a car repair outfit that was walking distance from my house. They said the tire was shot and put a new one on while I went home to relax. The whole thing cost me $100.

Reply to
philo

I've had two tows in 53 years. In addition, I had a flat tire in my driveway at home. GM provided roadside assistance so they sent the dealer to repair the tire and put it back on. I'm still way ahead.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Paul

my 2014 Toyota comes with 2 years of service of some sort

not sure what i will do after that

marc

Reply to
21blackswan

No worries! Keep driving it. It's a Toyota.

Reply to
Jack Haas

Good for you. No wife and no kids leaving the headlights on all night?

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I had AAA for many years and only used them once for a jump. Much money wasted. In recent years I've joined a free Allstate service and never had to use them. Much money saved.

(I don't have Allstate auto insurance so no rate increase worry though with a paid service you wouldn't think that would be a problem.)

Reply to
scarecrow

We get back a couple of times over the costs of a AAA membership with things like their discount with my cell carrier and the savings at Holiday Inns.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Philbert wrote in news:549868aa$0$41612$c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

Twice.

I'm more concerned about flat tire change, Much more likely. Over past few years have had one twice. At 80 I don't want to attempt it unless it's a dire emergency with no help possible.

Reply to
KenK

Philbert wrote in news:549868aa$0$41612$c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

I never turn on my cell phone while driving - only extremely rarely if I'm parked off the road. Otherwise my cell is turned off.

Reply to
KenK

On 12/23/2014 8:29 AM, KenK wrote: ...

Might consider going with one of the self-sealing or "run flat" self-supporting tires, then. At least reasonable chance of being able to get to service as long as don't hit something so large with the self-sealing they can't seal. The run-flats have an internal mostly mechanical supporting structure that lets you get 50-60 miles at least.

Put the self-sealing Uniroyals on the car for mother years ago -- we're on rural dirt roads and flats are routine. She at least never got stranded. I understand Uniroyal has quite making theirs but I believe Continental and perhaps a few others still do...

Reply to
dpb

Several years back I bought a new Honda that came with run-flat tires. It seemed a good selling point at the time but I found that it took special equipment and training to change the tire and the vast majority of tire shops couldn't do it. In my area the only place that could change them was the Honda dealerships. If on a trip and you had a flat (an air-out), and no authorized tire shop within the run flat driving range, you drove to a tire shop and they removed the whole tire/wheel assembly and a new tire/wheel was FedExed in by the next day (hopefully). In the meantime you had to get a motel for the night. Honest, that was Honda's solution. When I found out those details I got the dealership to change our my run-flats for regular tires though I had to sign my life away to do it. Something about the suspension being designed for the run-flats. I kept the car for 3 years and never had a flat so perhaps I wasted my time with that move. Hopefully things are better with run-flats now.

Reply to
scarecrow

dpb wrote in news:m7c145$fmh$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Thank you! I'll look into that. I didn't know they were still being made; hadn't heard them mentioned for decades. I suspect they're very expensive. Wonder how long thay last - like regular tires?

Reply to
KenK