Repair covered by homeowner's insurance?

And not one penny more than if he didn't get it fixed - so yes, he DID get it done at no (additional)cost.

Reply to
clare

Yes, usually one of the home warranty deals. I've never heard of a homeowner's policy covering maintenance issues.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

over 15 years ago I had bad tree root troubles..........

so every spring I dump a 25 pound bag of rock salt in my wash tub and mix with very hot water, this kills tree roots but leaves the trees unaffected..

had a camera inspection every joint in the clay tile had tree roots but one...

THIS REALLY WORKS!!

and is really cheap!:)

Reply to
bob haller

I agree. They should check the policy and/or agent, but I've never heard of one covering a sewer pipe replacement due to old age. If it was something catastrophic and sudden, like a tree falling and somehow taking out some pipe, then it would be different. They will pay for damage caused to the house, eg cleaning sewage from the basement, if that happened as a result of the sewer pipe, but not for the pipe itself. At least that's how it's worked in any case I've heard of. Still, OP should check to be sure.

Reply to
trader_4

Over how long of a period did you let the salt run into the pipe? Drizzle for a day or a bit surge of brine? I had a root problem for the first time and plan to start doing the salt every year now.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I have never tried this, and at this time I don't need to where all of my properties are located (except for one). All of my properties (except the one) have cast iron sewer lines and no trees or bushes in the area. For the one exception property, I have one of those sewer line insurance protection policies on that sewer line that the water company sells. Ordinarily, I wouldn't even get one of those policies but this sewer line runs out to the center of the street right under a HUGE oak tree at the curb. So, if I ever have to replace that sewer line, it would be a big expense and not something that I could do myself.

But, about the salt idea...., I did used to have a property where roots were a recurring problem. Since I no longer own the property, it is not an issue for me. But, if I did do the salt idea, I am guessing that it would be good to be able to block off the sewer line near the curb vent if possible, and then let the hot rock salt water fill up the sewer pipe and stay there for as long as possible before opening up the sewer line again. Do you do that or something similar?

Reply to
TomR

ix with very hot water, this kills tree roots but leaves the trees unaffect ed..

ideally no one will be home all day. After everyone has left I dump the roc ksalt in the washtub, use the hottest water possible and try to fill the tu b with water, while stirring with a shovel. When a good bit of water has ru n, and about half the salt has dissolved I turn the water off and leave for work.

The remaing salt dissolves over time in the tub since the washing machine d umps it water in the tub.

So one healthy dose of salt followed by some more till its all dissolved.

its worked for me for over 15 years, is super cheap, and cant kill trees or bushes like the root killer copper sulhate can.

I have a mature tree in my back yard thats over 200 years old, and its root s can travel more that 3 times its drip line......

Normall its 2 times the drip line at least for sycamores.

a friends neighbor used root killer, and killed 2 huge trees. he spent thou sands having them cut down .......

Reply to
bob haller

blocking the exit of the line doesnt appear to matter, although if the line is blocked it would fill withsalt water and be more effective.

but it has worked fine as is.

Reply to
bob haller

Just install a water softener and the resin purge will salt the roots on a fairly regular basis.

Reply to
clare

Don't bother trying to enlighten him. He and his fellow RWNJs don't care for truth or reality. They have the courage of their delusions. It's what comes from an eighth-grade education.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

The reality is that property tax is just one of many taxes. I suspect the poster is referring to federal and state income tax, not property tax. And even in the case of property taxes, when you have 6 Mexican workers living in one small apartment, I'm not sure they are paying their fare share.

Reply to
trader_4