removing knock-out plug for a dishwasher

we are trying to install a dishwasher and cannot seem to remove the knock-out plug from our disposal. the previous owners didn't leave us the manual and i can't find it online- it's a Kenmore 60514. We've tried the screwdriver/hammer approach with no luck... any advice?

Reply to
nate and kate

Sometimes the screwdriver will just punch a hole...try something blunt like a ratchet extension.

You have to hit it pretty hard, a sharp quick blow works better.

If the disposal is still attached to the sink (esp if sink is SS) too much of your hammer blow might be used up in the sink / disposal connection flex.

Remove the disposal & put it on the ground.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Get out the Dremel and cut it out.

Reply to
Norminn

Better to simply get a new drain pipe with the diswasher connection for the other side of the sink. This will keep the junk you put in your disposal from getting sucked back into the dishwasher, from experience!

Mike D.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

If that's happening, the dishwasher lacks either a high loop in the hose, or an air gap device. These are important to prevent backup, which can occur with or without a disposal.

Reply to
trader4

Thanks all for your wonderful help-- it took a long time and a few different tries, but we finally got that sucker out of there. I'm never handwashing dishes again!

THANKS!

Reply to
nate and kate