recommend a quality CATV splitter please!

On 06/20/2010 12:06 PM, Pete C. wrote:

my cable is good, it's brand new quad shield that I put the ends on myself. so are all my jumper cables (easier than going to the store.) the piece I replaced was the last of the old cable co. stuff in the house, and that was part of the problem. Even free stuff is more expensive overall than using the parts/tools that I already have in my basement :) (time is money, you know.)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On 6/20/2010 12:26 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:

Did you use quality connectors such as snap seals and not those crappy twist on connectors? Cable companies aren't know for spending money but there is good reason why every coax connection they make will be with a snap seal.
Nate Nagel wrote:

If I called them, my cable company would come out and fix the problem. If I asked at the service center, they would give me the splitters they want me to use. Have you tried talking to them?
On 06/20/2010 10:30 AM, Bob F wrote:

No, I just ASSumed that they were similar to the phone company in that once the wiring enters the house it's "yours" and that repairs would be expen$ive. Someone else suggested that, I might call on Monday. Service center is not far from my office.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

If all the wiring is theirs and you did not add anything extra I wold think they would want to repair it for you. I am a ham radio operator and about 25 years ago a neighbor complained I was messing up his cable tv. I was not having any problems with mine so got the cable people involved. It turned out he had added some of his wiring and used substandard cable. The cabel tv use some frequencies that other services use.One of their movie chanels was on a frequency I was licensed to use. As the cable is suspose to keep all their signal in the coax there should not be a problem. They replaced his wiring and all was ok .

My cable company rewired my entire house for free a few yrs ago because I was having problems.

Nate,
There are incredibly varying qualities in splitters. Look for one that's all metal, soldered around the edges and is made by a reputable outfit. I like gold plated connectors but nickel ones work just as well, although they film over in humid areas. Splitters are often rated for certain frequencies only. If I were powering four devices, I'd definitely put a signal amp in. Also, on a four way, one connector will be marked IN with the other three marked OUT, although you can use it in reverse as a signal combiner, but few people need that. Make sure you've got that right - all four connectors are not created equally.
I'd split the cable coming in with a dual, one leg going to the cable modem and then take the other leg and run it into a signal amp and to the TVs. Why? Because when the cable modem F's up, it's easy to remove all the TV's and signal amps from the equation by removing the splitter and using a barrel to replace it. That way only the cable modem is connected to the incoming wire, and Comcast can't BS me about "you may have 'customer installed equipment' (they say those words as if they were bitter poison) that is interfering with your cable signal."
Also, if your terminations is bad, or you're using the wrong sort of cable you can seriously screw up reception. A cable guy once told me he was astounded by the RF leakage he finds in houses where the owners have done their own wiring. I believe him.
For years I thought screw-on coax connectors were just as good as crimped/compressed until fellow newsgroupers beat some sense into me and I got a Snap'n'seal compression tool and a box of gold-plated compression fittings. The foot massager that had always put noise on the bedroom TV no longer did so when I redid all the fittings from screw and crimp to compression. The difference on TV's at the ends of long cable runs was incredibly noticeable. Cabling is like plumbing, to be good, it has to be tight without leaks. The problem is that it's much hard to find cable leaks. No puddles!
-- Bobby G.