What kind of spider is this that landed on me when I was working in my booster pump shed?

What kind of spider is this that landed on me when I was working in my booster pump shed?

Is it a tarantula?

Arlen Holder

Looks like one. It's a little early but in Arizona the males wander around looking for females in the fall. It's a little weird to be driving down the road and noticing a spider ambling across it. They can bite if provoked but they're usually docile.

Reply to
rbowman

I apologize for the lousy picture. I'll take another shot in the daylight tomorrow with better lighting.

It landed on my shoulder and was walking around, while I was hunched over my booster pump motor ... where when I realized what it was - I involuntarily screamed like a girl!

It's a primeval feeling - spiders and rattlers ... goes deep into the core.

When it fell off on the ground, I agree with you that it was pretty docile. I don't think it wanted to bite me at all.

Maybe it was what was eating this snail?

Where I've never seen a snail shell caught in a spider web in the air 3 feet off the ground and five inches from any wall or roof!

Reply to
Arlen Holder

On Sat 18 Aug 2018 10:58:34p, Arlen Holder told us...

Given the size of that spider, it could probably carry that snail into its web rather easily.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Probably. They aren't fussy and the big ones can even get mice and lizards. Other spiders are on the menu too so one well fed tarantula beats a tribe of brown recluses any day.

Reply to
rbowman

I did a google search for " spider identification " that returned several very good web sites - one was specifically for North America. ... then I got scared of the photos and had to stop. John T.

Reply to
hubops

... ss s ss S P I D E R S !

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Amazing, isn't it. I did that once when I saw a mouse under the sink. Later I decided it was because I thought it was an enorrrrmous roach, and if I'd known it was a mouse, I wouldn't have screamed

So is it alive or dead in the photo?

Wonder Snail!!!

Reply to
micky

LOL.

Arlen, where do you live, or wwhere were you when this happened.

Reply to
micky

Once in high wchool looked out the window at a bush in front of our house and there was a big spider with long black legs and a big cream and pink body. I think it was cream colored with pink dots or lines.

3+ inches total across.

It stayed there for hours. I've never seen anything like it again, irl, a zoo, or the web.

Reply to
micky

I looked at

North American Spiders It is said that some three-quarters of the human population is intimidated by spiders in one way or another - about 3,400 species reside in North America alone.

91 spiders but none that look anything like the one I saw I know spiders all have segmented bodies, but this one didn't seam to. It's body was what I think is called an oblate circle. A circle that is moved 20% to the side, so it's 20% longer than wide

Althoujgh maybe I'm forgetting parts nad it was shaped like this, even though the colors are all wrong:

BTW, I've never used the word oblate before and I'll give myself 3 points if I used it right, one point just for using it. I googled and I can't figure out if I used it right or not.

Reply to
micky

I think maybe it is a tarantula:

micky

Not all spiders have segmented bodies, I realize.

Not Daddy Long-legs.

Reply to
micky

Silicon Valley.

Seems to be a California black tarantula (Aphonopelma eutylenum)

Arlen Holder

Very much alive. I gave it water and a few bugs today. It didn't eat the bugs. It's picky I guess. Or not hungry.

A friend snaps pictures of spiders so it's his. I just have to get it to him.

Reply to
Arlen Holder

I thought it was too cold there for that.

See what I know.

Reply to
micky