Question about septic systems

Our old washer used 55 gal per load. The new one 14. So you decide, is this a difference or not?

Reply to
Steve Barker

Open it up and do a visual inspection? Obviously you've never had a septic system. There is no visual inspection until you PUMP it. Opening it up and looking, all you will see is the "scum" on top. And only the pumping guy can really tell (by feel) how deep the sludge is/was. 3 to 5 years max, or trouble ahead. Period.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Not necessarily true. When I had mine inspected & pumped after 10 years use, the first thing they looked for was floating debris in the scum. Seeing none he said it would be in good shape because stuff at the bottom of the tank gets dissolved but floating stuff stays a

*long* time. When it was pumped there was 3-4 inches of sludge only. He said based upon that, I could go 15 years easily if usage doesn't change. So a visual is not all inclusive, but is a good indicator.

Red

Reply to
Red

Reply to
Michael B

Agreed!

Reply to
jackson

Be sure that you are not comparing "capacity" with use per load. Also, any newer appliance will be more effecient in use of any type, except in longevity!, but the thought of the the new HE washers using less water per load as compared to a new non-HE machine, well that's a bit over rated.

Just sayin...

Reply to
jackson

Disagree. Read about the Sludge Judge, at their site or in my post. Only part a person is likely to need for homeowner use is the bottom part with the valve

perhaps that part and a single extension.
It's like being able to take a core sample of the septic tank contents. Shows you exactly what's there under the layer of scum, because you would NEVER have known by simply having it pumped.

Steve, sometimes it's best to ask, such as the > > Open it up and do a visual inspection? Obviously you've never had a

Reply to
Michael B

If you're going to open it up and do the sludge judge thing, you might as well have it pumped.

best to ask what?

Reply to
Steve Barker

like I said 55 versus 14. is that over rated? Not capacity, actual water usage.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Huh? You pull the cap, and instantly, you can see relevant information. Is there a crust? How close is the crust to the top of the tank? When you poke the crust, how thick is it? When you insert a pole into the tank, what is the resistance?

THEN, you pump it.

THEN, you inspect to see how much solid sediment is in the bottom of the tank, and whether the holes leading to the leach lines are blocked. And to see if the leach lines are blocked, how bad and how far and if you need to clean them out.

Have you ever had a septic system? Sounds like not.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Hmm, I'm trying to see why you would think that. Perhaps because you've been doing it a different way, and it costs over a hundred dollars every time. First time I had it open, I installed a 4" PVC connection to the surface with a cap. Every couple of years, open the cap, dip the Judge, dump the contents, close the cap, come back to it in a couple of years.

Yeah, maybe for the sake of the local economy, I should have had it pumped like you. But I knew there would be others that would make up for me. In fact, there were many that told how they had theirs pumped every year, and never had a bit of trouble. By golly, I'm glad for them, and you, too.

But the orig> If you're going to open it up and do the sludge judge thing, you might as

Reply to
Michael B

You have already seen the advice o have the system inspected BEFORE you settle -- make the offer contingent upon the inspection. And also make the seller have the system pumped and offer you confirmation. Depending on the locale, this may be a requirement anyway.

Systems that are pumped on a routine basis and not violated by extreme use will be fine

Reply to
Buster Chops

Reply to
Michael B