Proper outlet orientation

Eigenvector posted for all of us...

BWAAAAAAAAAAA there is NO WAY you could piss us off because we realize you are a fundy putz. (I hope I didn't overstep there Rico)

Reply to
Tekkie®

See, I knew it'd piss you off.

Besides, who care what they think, I only care why my local inspector thinks.

Reply to
Eigenvector

That what about outlets that are HALF switched?

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

You lost me in three words, but... one plug is hot an the other switched????? . Don't let me go off half-switched?

-- Oren

Oren

Sure. Why not?

Don't let me go off half-switched?

Reply to
CJT

You don't know I don't do "electric", so be advised please.

-- Oren

Oren

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx . That's heck of a good idea. Haven't got many'double' duplex outlets at moment but it fits in with my idea!

When I wire a yet to be finished part of our basement am intending to put in double duplex outlets, using square wall boxes; reason being that adapters are messy, often cheaply made, tend to protrude from the wall, may fall out etc. and do not accommodate sufficient plugs.

Also you do run into equipment cords that 'run off' in different directions, sometimes at right angles (sideways) as it were. I keep any old cut off equipment cords with odd configuration on the off chance that they may be useful.

e.g. In kitchen we have a 'battery charger' for those small AA, D cell batteries etc. whch has a moulded grounding plug, with cord that runs off the plug oddly! Even though the charger is completely enclosed and seemingly could use a two pin/polarized plug. Maybe the input-output/s of the charger are electrically not isolated; although unit seems heavy enough to contain an isolating transformer?

Also take a typical computer installation, (1) monitor, (2) the PC itself (3) Modem or router (4) printer or scanner etc. That's four sockets right there. The whole computer set up doesn't need a lot of the power available on a 15 amp circuit/outlet. Then if you want to plug in something else such as a radio or a soldering iron to do a small repair you need an extension cord to the next outlet which is hidden behind a heavy file cabinet or something!!!!

Similarly on work bench often have three items plugged in at same time in order to work on something.

So double duplex outlets, installed in 'opposite' directions at about waist level (just above desk-bench top height) it will be.

Thanks for the suggestion; oh, with a GFI outlet for downstream protection in each circuit. Cos our panel is equipped with standard Square D breakers, circa 1970s. Very happy that back then we installed a 200 amp service and big enough panel; still got a few spare positions!

Another idea; I may just install the duplex outlets 'sideways'?????????

Reply to
terry

I had an interesting test of it a short time ago. A metal clothes hanger fell behind a desk hitting a plug that was partially out (ground plug down). Sparks and blew the breaker!!

Reply to
Rich256

The house I used to live in had one of those under the sink. The switched half was meant for the garbage disposal that wasn't there yet. I did add a disposal later and it just plugged in. The non-switched half was already used for a dishwasher.

I know of another house around here that has 2 half-switched outlets, meant for lamps on the ends of a couch.

BTW, I've once seen some strange receptacles. One side of those was normal 120V 15A, but the other looked like it would accept 20A (but NOT 15A) plugs.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I've seen the patents for two-prong polarized receptacles that are rotatable. The part you plug into is part of a sphere that can rotate inside it's socket so you can have the plug oriented however you'd like. Haven't seen a 3 prong patent, but then again I didn't look. ;)

I'm not sure anyone manufactures them. Anyone ever seen one of those suckers installed?

RicodJour

Seems Leviton has another solution.

RicodJour

Now we can debate if the blue dot goes up or down?

Rich

Reply to
Rich

"blue" is associated with depression, so it goes down.

Reply to
Sam E

Look into Ng tankless, I have a Bosch and will get a 4.5-5yr payback.

Reply to
m Ransley

>Now we can debate if the blue dot goes up or down?

The fifth bullet down: "Soothing blue Monitor/Indicator LED provides surge protection status at a glance".

105 bucks a pop....

-- Oren

Oren