Poulan help

I just purchased a Poulan 10530es snowblower via AMAZON.

Put it together today. Instructions very simple, just connect 3 control rods, and the hood cables. Fired right up. Auger and impeller works. No action on the drive wheels. Acts like there is a pin or something missing on the final drive to the axle.

Went through the entire manual line by line and nowhere does it list anything but a snail mail for customer service.

Ran that through the white and yellow pages - no listing.

Tried Google - multiple hits but if it is there I missed it.

Appreciate any help

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

On the right-hand drive control, there should be an adjustment and a spring. When engaged (handle to bar) adjust so the spring stretches about an inch. That pulls the drive plate into the drive disk.

Hope this helps

Reply to
pheeh.zero

Thanks but no go. The lever the rod/spring connects to is already pulled as far as it can go.

I hope someone can come up with an e-mail or phone number for the customer service desk.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Hey, how 'bout

Don

Reply to
IGot2P

Thanks a bunch!

I finally got a phone number via Amazon which led to some real people. Still havaing a problem with the e-mail address they gave me for the help desk. I will try the one you gave.

Thanks again.

I am looking a 6" of new snow on top of 5" that I wasn't able to clear yesterday. Snowing like a royal baitch still. Was just out and cleared a bit of patio and a path to the woodshed plus enough area to back the car out of the garage. Still have 90 ft to go to reach the highway to say nothing of the 20ft of snow the state plowed into my entrance. Good thing I am in pretty fair shape for 72.

Harry K

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Open the cover where the belts are...there is a hinged plate with a disk driven by one of the belts. The right hand lever with cable/rod should move that plate to the rear so it can drive the rubber wheel. Maybe the cable is hung-up on a guide pulley?

Reply to
pheeh.zero

I don't have a Poulan but maybe if you have a similar setup as mine? On my wheel hubs there is a pin on each one that you can put into different holes. If the pins are in just the right holes the wheels are not driven. On mine I have to pull out the pins and either push or pull out the wheel to locate the other holes. In other words the pin is either going through the wheel hub and spindle(axle) to drive the wheel or the pin just goes through the spindle(axle) and the wheel is not driven. Just a thought for you to check out.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

The problem has been solved! A local 'small engine' guy picked it up last night, workedon it todya and found just what we had expected.

A chain was off the final drive sprocket! I know that is hard to believe but...

The 'pin in anohter hole' thing is anohter problem I will be discussing with them if I can ever get a working e-mail address for them (haven't tried 'igot2P one yet). The manual absolutely sucks. My machine must be a newer model and there are things that don't match the manual. The 'extra hole is one of them. The axle only has one hole. The trick is that you have to pull the pin and not only reverse the wheels from the shipped condition but also swap axles with them. Not word one mentioned about that. Fairly obvious though upon inspection.

Another one was the 'hood deflector control' whereby you can change the angle it shoots from the handle bars. Nothing in the manual about it. I finally found the holes used to connect it in the exloded parts diagram in the back.

That there was nothing in the manual about contacting the company (other than an overall snail mail address), nothing aobut registering the warranty, no warranty card at all, etc. is beyond belief.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Your welcome! :^(

Reply to
pheeh.zero

That looks really good. This is getting weirder and weirder! Went to that which has everything on it I need. Made an e-mail describing the problem. Rejected "not a valid name". Tried changing the name. Same result. Gonna try the 'register' one this morning to register the machine and see what happens.

Then back on the phone if that doesn't work.

If I didn't mention it in one of my posts, the link I got from a real person on the phone rejects as 'not a valid address'.

Needless to say, the name "Poulan" will never, ever appear on any equipment here again.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I had a smaller poulan chain saw once and it wasn't any good either. It had a manual oiler that you could only pump oil to the chain if the saw was not running. JUNK with capital letters! I bought it used so I was stuck with it. Good luck with your blower! Steve

Reply to
Steve

Talk about weird!

It looks like the 'register' worked. Tried the 'contact us' and got back the same 'invalid name'. Noticed a phone number at the bottom. Called. Wrong division but gave me a number for the right one. Called that. Got a _very_ helpful person at the right department.

He admitted that the 'contact us' thing rarely works. Asked what to do. Believe it or not, the only thing he could suggest was to send him a personal e-mail and he would walk it through the system!!

Done. Waiting for a reply but not expecting one.

Oh yes. The blower is working. Not well...well, everyting on it works but it is helpless in deep snow. Will be fitting up some chains to it tomorrow - that cured that problem on my old, small blower.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

The only chainsaw that Poulan ever made that was decent was the Poulan

3400. All the rest were crap. I bought a Poulan rototiller and it came in a box with the Frigidaire name & logo, which should have been a warning to me.

KC

Reply to
KC

The old blower wheels worked, right?

Oren

--

Reply to
Oren

Now that _is_ a thought. IIRC though the fastener method is different. I"ll check to day.

Another add on as to why no Poulan will ever again be seen here.

Remember I said it is helpless in deep snow? Actually it was helpless in anything over a couple inches.

Hit the drive yesterday with snow from 4" up to 18". Promptly plugged it up luckily. In unplugging it I found a missing shear pin and thus only 1/2 the auger was working.

Fixed that and a whole different machine. Goes through the snow just fine except slow in deep stuff.

So?...

There was not sign, not a scrape in paint, not a burr, nothing that showed a shear pin had ever _been_ in that hole.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

You are obviously a dufus. Stay away from mechanical stuff...or let the wife or friend do it for you.

Reply to
pheeh.zero

And you base that on just what? Care to stop by and I will demonstrate how to tear down, and rebuild a small gas engine. I quit that business 30 years ago and at my age I find it is much simpler to fix things by checkbook.

If you can read everything I wrote and find anything in there that demonstrates I don't know what I am doing, do so. Of course I did fail on the Googling but that ain't mechanical.

Sounds to me like you are a typical blowhard moron.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Not finding a missing shear bolt...give me a break! And who's the blowhard..."Care to stop by and I will demonstrate..."

Reply to
pheeh.zero

e:

ke there is a

r the

d got

ttom.

at to

What part of having found it did you miss?

Wha part of a new machine that shouldn't have a misconnected chain or a missing shear bolt did you miss?

What part of "why should I have to inspect a new machine for missing/ incorrect installastions?" did you miss?

Did your mommy drop you on your head?

Harry k

Reply to
Harry K

What part of having a new snowblower and asking for help don't you get? If you were once a mechanic...you would have fixed or analyzed this in

15 min. Drives on new machines are as basic as you can get!
Reply to
pheeh.zero