Just moved into a house which has a gas fireplace in the basement - turns
on with a flick of the switch. I notice that there's a small flame
constantly burning...a blue flame. When I turn the switch on the
fireplace lights and it's an orange flame. Is the small blue flame
supposed to be on constantly?
Second, the front of the fireplace is a set of two folding glass doors
that have about a 1/4" gap in between the sections. Also noticed during
home inspection that all along the exterior side wall only (not along the
interior walls), wherever the studs are, there is blackening.
So far the explanation I've got is that soot from the fireplace seems to
have an affinity toward the cooler, exterior walls and thus it settles
there...does that sound reasonable? How do I get rid of this problem?
Get someone in to clean and adjust/fix the burning problem.
As there should be no sooting going on!
Also, as the burners burn inefficiently they also produce larger amounts of
'CO' Carbon Monoxide, which is very deadly.
I suggest you shut it off and get it checked out ASAP.
The Pilot is normal , but it wastes gas. Non sealing doors are the
norm, a waste of energy up the flue. I fitted a foamboard plug.
The black is mold I bet , you have studs on an exterior basement wall
finished in drywall , right. Is it old ? Many basements seep moisture
and never should be finished. If you remove a piece of drywall I bet it
is all black. Do they have a dehumidifier down there, do you smell a
musty smell. I bet If AC is left off and no dehumidifier you will smell
Soot has an afinity for cooler areas ? Thats a good line of creative
bull shit. The wall leaks or seeps moisture, that is it.
I just wanted to mention that there are both vented and vent-free gas logs
on the market. If you decide to seal your flue to increase energy
efficiency, please confirm that your logs are vent-free.
As always, it's good to have at least one CO detector in your home.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.