Patching Cedar Shakes

This past weekend we put a new roof on our house. In the process of removing the old shigles and flashing, I had to pull off some of the cedar shake siding. I now have areas that need to be patched with new shakes. How difficult is it to patch cedar shingles? Does anyone have a suggested technique?

Reply to
rklotz

I read how to do it once and can't remember. I've done some googline and searching the archives and can't find anything too helpful. I'm interested in the answer because before I have my house painted, many damaged shingles or ones with ugly holes in them I would like replaced. If I find out, I will get back to you if my news server(s) don't go down again.

Reply to
I Love Lucy

the beauty of cedar shake siding is that you can patch it easily. how you do it depends on how they were applied. a lot of times, siding is double coursed, meaning there are two layers of shakes---one that you see and one underneath to block rain from getting through the cracks in the outer course. patching really just requires common sense. if you have to remove a shake in the middle of a wall, then you have to get the nails out from the course above it. this can be difficult because the inner course is often nailed separately and you won't have easy access to those nail heads. sometimes a sawzall works to cut the nails off.

fine homebuilding has had articles about sidewall shakes...these articles are available for purchase on their website, i believe.

Reply to
marson

If its one shingle, just slide one in and use small galvanised finishing nails as close as you can to the upper shingle, for areas only the top row you need try to get the nail closest to the upper shingle, so you dont realy see it. I take off and replace rotted ones every time before restaining.

Reply to
m Ransley

Thanks for the info. I did read something about getting up under the shingle above it and sawing off the nail, then calking it. Someone around here should know, and if they don't, do you have a link to that website? I can try to google it, did find several sites, but then the links usually sent you to pages with ads. Don't need that.

Reply to
I Love Lucy

But you do see the nail? Is that the pro way of doing it? It sure sounds easier than messing with the upper one. I'll be having a contractor come here by and by for some windows and doors. Maybe he will know the professional way.. I guess small galvanized nails aren't going to show like roofing nails. That is probably the way to go.

Thanks for the input. My news server acted up again. First I didn't see your message, now I do.

Reply to
I Love Lucy