OT: Windows 10

My old computer got fried by a nearby lightning strike a few months ago so I bought a new one with Windows 10 as soon as they were available. The new system works very well, so far. It's a lot like Windows 7 but the icons and locations of the commands have changed a bit. Mostly cosmetic, as far as I can tell, but hopefully there are wonderful changes below the surface.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

Windows 10. The new system works very well, so far. It's a lot like Windows

7 but the icons and locations of the commands have changed a bit. Mostly cosmetic, as far as I can tell, but hopefully there are wonderful changes below the surface.

Win7 is basically Vista with some adjustments. Win8 is similar to Win7, but with the Metro "app" system tacked on. Win10 is an adjustment of Win8. In other words, Win10 still has Metro. Even more so, because it's been integrated as Microsoft tries to get people to buy apps from their online store. But you're not forced to boot into Metro. It's been combined with normal Windows.

If you like trinket apps for tablets you might like Win10 better than Win7. But anyone moving to Win10 should be aware that it's radically different. Microsoft wants Windows to be a service. They want to sell subscriptions and apps. They want to make money from ads. There is no privacy on Win10. These 3 links explain some of the details:

The actual privacy policy, which MS changed with the release of Win10, is nothing less than stunning:

Microsoft has conflated their various products and services in this policy, but clearly states that it generally applies to Windows 10. They claim rights to pretty much everything, from watching your actions to reading your files.

The latest news, only 3 weeks after Win10 was released, is that there have been at least 2 notable updates in just 3 weeks, and that Microsoft is no longer willing to say just what is in updates. Security fixes are mixed with things like changes to the Microsoft online store. They also claim rights to disable any software or hardware they like, at will. It's not your computer. It's theirs. Microsoft is being very clear and very aggressive: A Win10 computer is not your tool, any more than your cable TV box is. It will be what they want it to be, changing over time according to their plans, spying on you and showing you ads, while trying to also hook you into subscription software like Office 365.

Windows 10 is a major departure, despite being many years in coming. Microsoft are no longer even defining themselves as a software company. Their business is now "devices and services". Like Apple, MS is "pulling an AOL", trying to lock customers into a walled garden of stuff to buy.

Reply to
Mayayana

"Anytime you get something for 'free', YOU are the PRODUCT being sold!"

Reply to
Don Y

| > Microsoft has conflated their various products and services | > in this policy, but clearly states that it generally applies to | > Windows 10. They claim rights to pretty much everything, | > from watching your actions to reading your files. | | "Anytime you get something for 'free', YOU are the PRODUCT being sold!" |

Yes, except that it's even worse in this case. Win10 is not free. If Pavel314 bought a Win10 PC he paid for the Windows license, probably $50-80. The only freebie is the update for qualifying Win7/8 computers. Even then, MS is not supporting the update and it's unclear how long it will be free. OEM PCs, new installs and corporate updates all still cost money. Since very few people actually updated Windows in the past, Microsoft has lost very little money, while quickly increasing the number of people they can advertise to.

Reply to
Mayayana

Though I switched to Linux years ago, I stay current with Windows as I still do a fair amount of computer repair work.

I've been evaluating Win10 and think most people will prefer it to Windows 8x

As much as Microsoft would like people to think that they are always getting a new OS...there have not been too many real changes in Windows since XP...but still, with a new computer Win10 makes sense.

Reply to
philo

Even that isn't exactly free. I got an email from my wireless provider telling me I had exceeded the 5 GB monthly limit. I haven't investigated but I believe my Windows 7 laptop downloaded the 'free' update for me even though I had not 'reserved' Windows 10. There is also an annoying popup in addition to the easily ignored icon on the toolbar.

The laptop is shut down at the moment. When I bring it back up it will be with the wireless disabled until I sort out exactly what it's up to. No way am I going to use an OS where M$ can push gigabytes of data to me without my explicit authorization.

Reply to
rbowman

Three people I know upgraded from 8.1 and are much happier using their computers. Looks like a fancied up W7 and works very similar to it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I attempted to upgrade last Sunday but hit a snag with a flashing screen and got nowhere. My call to MSN was met with a recording that my wait time was greater than 1 hour and 30 minutes. I got a telephone number from Customer Service for a direct line and called Monday morning. Got the greater than 1 hour and 30 minute wait but was given the option of having a call back and took that.

We had to power up in safe mode and it was Norton that was locking out the upgrade. It was a bit of aggravation as my CSR was an Indian (of course) and the accent was heavy at times but we FINALLY got me upgraded. I had my Norton product key so was easily able to re-install it.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

I am using w10 Pro updated from W8.1 or W7 Ultimate. Did not run into any issues. Every thing just works fine.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Is it true they no longer have Windows Explorer, so you can see what's on your drives?

-------- Forwarded Message -------- Subject: INSTRUCTOR'S SOLUTIONS MANUAL PDF: Linear Algebra Done Right,

2nd Ed by Sheldon Axler Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2015 22:11:32 -0700 (PDT) From: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Newsgroups: alt.home.repair

-------- Forwarded Message -------- Subject: INSTRUCTOR'S SOLUTIONS MANUAL PDF: Linear Algebra Done Right,

2nd Ed by Sheldon Axler Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2015 22:11:32 -0700 (PDT) From: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Newsgroups: alt.home.repair

-------- Forwarded Message -------- Subject: INSTRUCTOR'S SOLUTIONS MANUAL PDF: Linear Algebra Done Right,

2nd Ed by Sheldon Axler Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2015 22:11:32 -0700 (PDT) From: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I do have a very dificult time understanding India English, for sure.

-------- Forwarded Message -------- Subject: INSTRUCTOR'S SOLUTIONS MANUAL PDF: Linear Algebra Done Right,

2nd Ed by Sheldon Axler Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2015 22:11:32 -0700 (PDT) From: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Newsgroups: alt.home.repair

-------- Forwarded Message -------- Subject: INSTRUCTOR'S SOLUTIONS MANUAL PDF: Linear Algebra Done Right,

2nd Ed by Sheldon Axler Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2015 22:11:32 -0700 (PDT) From: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Newsgroups: alt.home.repair

-------- Forwarded Message -------- Subject: INSTRUCTOR'S SOLUTIONS MANUAL PDF: Linear Algebra Done Right,

2nd Ed by Sheldon Axler Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2015 22:11:32 -0700 (PDT) From: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

| There is also an annoying | popup in addition to the easily ignored icon on the toolbar.

In case it's any help, here's the most clear advice I've seen about getting rid of the nags:

------------------

What the article might not address very well, is there are two versions of '583. If you hide '583 after removing it, it will come back. Hide it a second time, and cross your fingers.

And naturally, set your Windows Update to "manual" mode, so you can review the updates. We've had a few people with updates set to "Full Auto", and logically, they're driven crazy by this stuff

-------------------------

It doesn't seem to be a one-click kind of thing. MS doesn't want you to feel you have an option. I have on Win7 computer, but I never allow windows Update to function or even go online on any of my computers, so I don't have the nags.

Reply to
Mayayana

It's still there, the usual folders-in-a-holder icon.

Reply to
Pavel314

Why? Norton is a worse "virus" than windows.

Reply to
clare

No It is on the task bar at the bottom of the screen by default

Reply to
clare

Amazing how these things get started. Yes, Window Explorer is gone. I wonder what this new thing called File Explorer is. Any idea? I'm afraid to try it out.

In addition to everything you had in the past, it shows the last 10 files you had open.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I had my Norton product key so was easily able to

No, it's not.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

Oren expressed precisely :

Complete and utter bullshit. That is, unless you use some strange definition for "virus".

Reply to
FromTheRafters

Window explorer is there. If you don't see it go to task manager and restart it..

Reply to
Tony Hwang

It happens that Oren formulated :

Self replication and pre-existing program infection for starters. Beyond that there is the ability to carry some sort of payload, but it is not a necessary feature.

No, some (slow infector) viruses are very low and stealthy in this respect. They can live for a long time without anyone noticing they are there.

I won't argue for *any* AV in that respect - they *all* use resources more than I would like.

Reply to
FromTheRafters