OT: What's the point of a laundry basket?

Laundromat or coin laundry here in Ontario Canada. John T.

Reply to
hubops

when I typed it i, the spell checker wanted to correct it to spelling with a capital

I presume that somewhere in the world it's the name of a chain store

But FTAOD, I wasn't picking on the exact choice of word for this item of historical interest

Reply to
tim...

Who let those UKers come to Michigan?

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8340118,-85.6632777,3a,89.1y,210.03h,92.07t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_HqalP4ReQa9lRehoc4Weg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Reply to
b0d
[snip]

The way I've usually seen it, a hamper is a non-mobile container in a bathroom or bedroom, that is supposed to hold clothes until washday. They are then transferred to the basket to carry them to the washing machine.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

In an NTSC video signal, the synchronization pulses are "blacker than black".

Reply to
Sam E

Something the Zoomers aren't familiar with since they don't wash their clothes.

Reply to
rbowman

And a bonnet is something a Amish woman wears to church.

Reply to
rbowman

a hamper is what you put a picnic in, for transportation.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That really surprises me. Fridges/freezers are the easiest (to me) washing machines are the worst as they have MAHOOSIVE concrete blocks in them to subdue vibrations during spinning.

Don't know if it is still required but after moving fridges I leave them NOT powered for 24 hours (lets the refrigerant settle), then use them as normal.

Reply to
soup

Only if transported laying on its side. Upright, no problem.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

No concrete blocks in mine, just well designed. Never need to be stopped and have the load adjusted to stop it walking around in use either.

I don’t bother and have never had a problem. Don’t lie them down in the trailer tho.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I'd be wary of eating food that had been in a hamper.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Yup. Should have made it clear that I meant proper moving them, not just shimmying them a few inches to clean underneath or somesuch.

Reply to
soup

.. unless it was in hamper-proof packaging ? John T.

Reply to
hubops

Your loss:

The Natural Philosopher

I've always heard that called a picnic basket.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

Are you sure the food isn't supposed to smell like dirty socks?

Reply to
hah

Fortnum and Mason's have a good selection I've heard.

Reply to
Max Demian

Only if it's gorgonzola...

Reply to
rbowman

I remember a story where an accident in an institutional kitchen leaves a man buried under a big pile of stinky cheese. This was called a "feta worse than death".

Reply to
Mark Lloyd