OT: Wacky Movie Week

Enjoying some good, old-fashioned, brain rot!

Monday was _Rubber_ Tuesday, _John Dies in the End_ Wednesday, _Safety Not Guaranteed_ Thursday, _Flushed Away_ Friday, _Buckaroo Banzai_

It was either this, short list, or a _SOAP_ or _Coupling_ marathon (and I get *nothing* done during those! :> )

Reply to
Don Y

When I am in that mood I break out Caddyshack, Night Shift or the original Rollerball. SOB is an interesting flick too if you like dark comedy. (they could lose most of the Julie Andrews stuff and the silly car chase)

Reply to
gfretwell

I outgrew Caddyshack a long time ago. Every 5 or 6 years I may drag it out just to see how many of the "lines" I remember, but most of the humor is worn out, now.

Night shift was good early on. But, too many cast changes that always felt like a step down.

I didn't like it at all. For "dark", I like _God Bless America_ and there's another similar plotline whose title escapes me (and will probably haunt me for the rest of the evening!). I recall John Clesse was in it as one of the smaller parts (OK, time for a little search... _Parting Shots_!!)

I am more interested in odd plotlines (_Rubber_ is excellent in that regard!) or interesting situations (_Safety Not Guaranteed_) that I can ponder, afterwards.

Some flicks are an interesting combination: _Cashback_, _About Time_, _Seeking for a Friend for the End of the World_, _Zardoz_, etc.

Reply to
Don Y

2 great films that achieved somewhat of a cult status:

Death Race 2000 (1975) - Think of this film as a combination of Cannonball Run and that game you played as a teenager where you estimated the points you would get if you ran over a elderly person, a fat lady, etc.

Phantom Of The Paradise (1974) - This is essentially a rock version of Phantom Of The Opera. The Paradise is a concert hall and the hero becomes the Phantom after (spoiler alert) getting his face disfigured by a record pressing machine.

When I was in the USCG, they used to show some pretty "wacky" movies. On the large bases they showed them in an actual theater. On the smaller bases, we would get them as 3 separate reels and set up a projector in the mess hall. Head breaks and beer runs were taken while the reels were being changed.

On movies with especially graphic/funny/etc. scenes, that section of the film might get a little worn out as we (and obviously others) rewound and reshowed the scene multiple times.

I remember the time we screwed up and actually burnt the film while trying to show a scene over and over again. I can't remember the name of the movie, but it was a scene where the bad guy gets cut in half by a propeller while he was standing on the runway. We loved how the upper half of his body is cut to bloody shreds by the prop and then a few seconds later both of his legs fall over. We showed it so many times that it got jammed up and instead of the legs falling over, the film started to melt right at that point. It was funnier than hell.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

If you ever get up around French Canada, you can watch John Wayne western movies dubbed in French, that will make you laugh.

Reply to
dangerous dan

There's an acquired taste! Rewatched it recently. Learned (I think from the audio commentary) that in the opening sequence shot in the fog there's a reflection of a car dealer's showroom in the upper right frame.

Boorman chose such shiny armor suits for _Excalibur_ that there's a whole page devoted to what you can see of the set and crew from the reflections. What's amazing is that once they're pointed out to you, you can't stop seeing them but most people never noticed the glitches in the first place.

Rewatched the first _Point Blank_ (also by Boorman) with Lee Marvin and Angie Dickenson and it really, really held up after all those years. The Mel Gibson version _Payback_ had its moments (Lucy Liu and the "Hubba Bubba" scene) but was pale in comparison.

Reply to
Robert Green

I will have to try to remember that the next time it comes across my screen.

That's true of lots of easter-egg sorts of things.

Find the profanity in this: Almost impossible, the first time! Hard to ignore, thereafter! :>

I am particularly fond of animated movies as there is no limit to what an amused animator can slip into a scene! Unfortunately, watching them with anyone else sorely limits how much "single stepping" you can do without raising the ire of the other viewers!

The same is true of comics (I will never get the "Big Mac" reference from Dr Bong out of my head and chuckle each time I remember it). Gotta wonder how these folks come up with these little zingers!

I've noticed that I tend to find Luc Besson's films entertaining. Seems to have a penchant for odd bits.

_Cashback_ has a fair bit of frontal nudity -- which, unfortunately, detracts (to some extent -- though I don't object *too* loudly! :> ) from the quality/message of the film.

I've learned to make a point of watching many "fun" films for easter eggs *after* (during?) the credits. Often the funniest parts of the movie. The "Howard" reference at the end of Guardians of the Galaxy was delightfully amusing (and immediately had me thinking of Big Macs!)

Reply to
Don Y

So somebody was taking the head out for a test drive?

Reply to
Neill Massello

I sometimes like to know about them, other times, not. I think there were other abnormalities in the floating head scene - I believe they were throwing rifles out of one end and then off camera, scooping them up and feeding them through the back of the head to throw out again and you could see it happening if you watched closely enough.

Hey, "Fu& off!" (-:

Sometimes the Simpsons has to be watched that way - alone, as you noted.

"We need total concentwation!"

There's never a static shot - was it District Nine with those incredible acrobats?

Haven't see it . . .

Reply to
Robert Green

I don't go looking for the quirks, normally. What usually happens, is I either like a movie (a lot!) and start watching it a few times -- and, as you need to pay LESS attention to the story line, you start noticing the "little things".

E.g., the first time I watched Buckaroo Banzai, I was intent on the absurdity of the situation (brain surgeon leaves a surgery to climb into a "jet car" which he then drives THROUGH a mountain via the 8th dimension... and this is just the first few minutes of the show!). But, there were little things that my subconscious was noticing while "I" was focused on the story.

The first was hearing the jet car "dieseling" after having just crossed the dimensional barrier. While it was an audible sound, your conscious tended to ignore it because you were concentrating on the story (the jet car was rolling to a stop in the background).

AFTER that part of the scene had finished, I said, "wait, what did I just *miss*?". So, I rewound it and watched the scene more carefully and noticed the (now obvious!) dieseling. So, I started watching the balance of the show more critically.

Having finished the show, I watched it again a while later. This time, I didn't need to pay attention to the main story and could watch for these little zingers (there are *many*!)

Other flicks like _Flushed Away_ make it pretty obvious that the film is playing with your head. So, you're alerted from the first few minutes of the film. The film is so visually overloaded that you simply can't catch all the little things hidden in the film after 2, 5 or even 10 views.

E.g., the title credits to Futurama have lots of little details hidden in them -- but, only a few seconds for you to try to catch them.

The Simpson's don't have too many hidden zingers. They're backgrounds tend to be largely static. Usually, the little jokes are "cameos" in the backgrounds of the scenes -- so your attention isn't DIRECTED to them but something you have to stumble on.

"Tu-Ahlbif-Patiz--Speshulzawz-lettuz-chi'iz--peeklzon-yunzon-ahsezme-seet--BUHNN!!"

District 13

The character in most of his flicks (those that I've enjoyed) are outrageous. And, the plot lines insane. I throughly enjoy The Fifth Element each time I watch it -- despite knowing everything that I'll see. I'm still waiting to see if I can determine a pattern to leeloo's speach -- or, if it is just jibber-jabber.

_The Extraordinary Adventures of Adele Blanc-Sec_ is still too confusing for me to "study" in detail.

It's a light-hearted piece. More of the "Marvel Comics" franchise. Each film therein has a teaser trailer with ties to some other film yet to be released.

The Groot character is the most entertaining.

Reply to
Don Y

Not sure how the image of a car dealership got in there, but it did. Lots of people don't know the double-play on words: Zardoz is actually derived from the WiZARD of OZ and that title was alleged selected because Frank Baum's file cabinets were labled A-N and O-Z.

Reply to
Robert Green

It was a favorite movie of my tech buddies. We often used quotes like "Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" - I'll have to dig it up again.

There's just so much attention you can pay outside of the plot line, at least at the first go-round. I think I watched _Inception_ three times before I even thought I knew what was happening. I walked out of Pulp Fiction at the theater because it seemed they were showing the reels out of order. They weren't.

Worse, still, if you have the CC on, it rides right over the banner change they did every week. Did you see the "Simpsorama" episode?

"Tu-Ahlbif-Patiz--Speshulzawz-lettuz-chi'iz--peeklzon-yunzon-ahsezme-seet--B UHNN!!"

Wasn't there another "District" film set in South Africa? Senility is really setting in as well as laziness (as in too lazy to check Google). It was the insectoids living in refugee camps with their huge spaceship overing overhear.

So much stuff to watch but never enough time. I am plowing through Poldark that I got as a Christmas gift. A three DVD set )-:

Reply to
Robert Green

Original Rollerball was great.

It made you think about the world.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

"Laugh-a while you can... mun-key boy!" "It's not my stinking planet!" "Great! What's a truck?!"

I don't know. Between Futurama, Simpsons, South Park, etc. it's hard to sort out who's spoofing who.

I particularly enjoyed the Futurama episode where Leela meets the "last male of her kind" (who actually *isn't*) and ends up being "made over" in the image of Peg Bundy...

No idea. I like the oddball plots/characters most.

_The City of Lost Children_ is tops in that regard (but not Luc Besson's work)

I "watch" a lot of DVD's (from the library). But, I usually do this while doing something else. So, it doesn't consume a lot of time. As a result, I usually catch just a rough synopsis of the show on the first pass. If it's uninspired, then I may never actually see the whole flick.

OTOH, if there are enough scenes that catch my interest, I may devote more attention to it. Or, take it out again at some future date (doesn't cost anything to do so!).

If I've seen it *often*, then I pretty much know the plot line and can just *listen* -- until I hear a part that I particularly like. Then, take a break to watch it actively.

E.g., SOAP, Coupling, Dinosaurs, etc. I can "enjoy" without actually seeing the screen. OTOH, when I hear a particular scene coming up (the Reservoir Dogs scene in Coupling: or when Peter is introduced to the Tates in SOAP) then I'll drop what I'm doing in preparation for the laughs.

Reply to
Don Y