OT - The Electoral College and the Popular Vote

An interesting article about the Electoral College.
The Electoral College and the Popular Vote
"It's theoretically possible that the Electoral College could upend the results of the 2016 presidential election, but such an event would be unprecedented.
On 9 November 2016, the day after Donald Trump was elected the 45th president of the United States, a petition appeared on Change.org urging the United States Electoral College to reject the way states voted during the general election, placing into office not the person who received the majority of electoral votes (Donald Trump) but rather the person who received the most popular votes nationwide (Hillary Clinton, as of this count):
On December 19, the Electors of the Electoral College will cast their ballots. If they all vote the way their states voted, Donald Trump will win. However, they can vote for Hillary Clinton if they choose. Even in states where that is not allowed, their vote would still be counted, they would simply pay a small fine - which we can be sure Clinton supporters will be glad to pay!
We are calling on the Electors to ignore their states' votes and cast their ballots for Secretary Clinton. Why?
Mr. Trump is unfit to serve. His scapegoating of so many Americans, and his impulsivity, bullying, lying, admitted history of sexual assault, and utter lack of experience make him a danger to the Republic.
Secretary Clinton WON THE POPULAR VOTE and should be President....."
For the full article see: http://bit.ly/2eNuRv7
On Saturday, November 12, 2016 at 9:59:57 AM UTC-5, Sterling Archer wrote:

Although I voted for Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump won fair and square according to the Constitution. I would be disappointed in the electors should they attempt to overturn the results of the vote. Now, THAT would be worth protesting.
Cindy Hamilton
On 11/12/2016 10:20 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Did not vote for either, but agree. The electoral college made sense in the 1800's but the time to get rid of it is before the election, not after you get results you don't like.

If we did not have the EC or the senate (both share the same demographic position), rural America would be relegated to serfdom and the big cities would rule the country. You only have to look at Hillary's election map to see that. I suspect the eventual result would be a desire for rural America to want to secede from the union and we know how that worked out last time. 90% of the country ruled by the people who live in the remaining 10% is a recipe for revolt and the ones in the country have most of the guns.

I was in the hospital in Philly during Bush the lessors first election and watched the Dem ground game in action. They were buttonholing all those that might vote Dem to get out and do it.
Hillary tried the same thing in Philly before the election with a huge rally including Obama, JZ, Bruce Springfield and all the lefties you could think of. Had she gotten the percentage of their vote as Obama did she would have won. If she were a black woman, she would have won. Without the electoral college the big cities with concentrated populations would rule. Founding fathers were wise people.
On 11/12/2016 11:08 AM, Frank wrote:

I like Springsteen but as someone pointed out he should try listening to his own lyrics sometime:
"Now Main Street's whitewashed windows and vacant stores Seems like there ain't nobody wants to come down here no more They're closing down the textile mill across the railroad tracks Foreman says these jobs are going boys and they ain't coming back to your hometown"
'My Hometown'
That describes my hometown perfectly.
On Saturday, November 12, 2016 at 1:33:11 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:

I'm sure Bruce does know his own lyrics. It's just that he attributes what you posted to the evil GOP, big business, etc and not to the libs and their failed policies. To be fair, some of it has nothing to do with even the libs, but a lot of it sure does.

That was part of it, but another part was that the uneducated would not be the ones to decide on who gets elected. Seems that part fell apart.
On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 15:26:06 -0500, Ralph Mowery

Are you suggesting uneducated city folks would be denied the vote? Then the EC math would not be that important. When you take out all of the dropouts, homeless and underclass in the city, New York starts looking more like Boise at the polls.
On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 20:33:45 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

What I would suggest is that anyone receiving an entitlement, which social security pension and medicare are not because we are paying for them; would be ineligible to vote because of a conflict of interest. That would straighten this mess out in a hurry!
Gordon Shumway has brought this to us :

Those actually *are* entitlements because we paid for them.
On 11/12/16 8:19 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

strange, but when on SSI, all other income or gifts are offset by deductions. Social Security Retirement is income

Not denied, but you have to go back to the original intent. You chose a representative to go vote the way you'd like for the candidate that has the values you deem important. Go back to 1790. Did the rural farmer have full information about the people running? Probably not. Newspapers were scarce and Fox News did not exist.
So, Mr. Elector, go to the capitol and get more information and make a good decision for us. We think we want that Tom Jefferson guy but make sure he is OK.
says...

Even with the papers, TV, internet and so on, today there are still millions of people that have on idea about the ones running. It has been proven by sows on TV that they could go out in the street and interview people and many of them had no idea about who is running. The reporters go out in the street and ask people how they feel about certain people that are running for some office. They use a made up name, and the people often give an opinion on that person that is not even running.
Ralph Mowery wrote:

I never saw such a "rigged" media as I did this year (newspapers, articles on the Internet, tv). Of course, "rigging" the popular media seems to have become business as usual.
On 11/13/2016 1:57 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I know I'll get some crap for this but there should be some sort of test before you can vote. There should be a better reason than "he dresses nice" or "he is better looking that his opponent."
says...

The test I would like would be something like you have to have paid income taxes for the year you are voting in, or be over 62 and receiving Social Security based on having paid into the system.

Ding, Ding, Ding!! We have a winner!

You won't get any crap from me on that.
On 11/12/2016 09:40 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

http://www.history.org/Foundation/journal/spring03/journalism.cfm http://www.readex.com/titlelists/early-american-newspapers-1790-1799
The second link is newspaper of which they have a copy, not all that might have existed. I would say the 1790 electorate was much better informed than the 2016 version. Clinton trying to scare up votes with Beyonce and Jay Z wouldn't have worked at all. Come to think of it, Clinton wouldn't have even been running.
It was a mistake to think the rural people are backward and uninformed in this election cycle; it would have been even a greater mistake in 1790. Remember John Peter Zenger, the Assange of 1734? Remember John Adams, the first president to try to suppress criticism of the government?