OT: Taxes

Why do Americans put up with having to do their own taxes?

Because we know how well our various governments do things.

ROTFPMSL!
Ok, do you have a serious answer?

Because we can.

I doubt half of you can do the maths. In fact none of you can, you can only do math, just the one of them.

You start off with "Why do Americans put up with having to do their own taxes" then you claim "none of you can".
Which is it, we can or we can't?
I see why you and RS are lovers, you both have a habit of contradictions.

It's "you put up with it", and "you find it difficult".
UK IQ: 100 USA IQ: 98

We both live in more sensible countries.

Nice spin attempt. The context is clear. Your IQ is keeping the average from exceeding

You pay a royal family for doing nothing....LMAO. That's real sensible.
On 02/16/2020 04:26 PM, Hawk wrote:

It may be a winner if you consider the tourists the royals attract. In this state tourists come to see bears, bison, and bighorns. In the UK they come to see a family more dysfunctional than the Kardashians.

We chose bears, bison, and bighorns in your state and a bunch of them around you over a dozen summer vacations.
2004 Alaska 2005 Idaho Wyoming 2006 New Mexico Arizona 2007 The Dakotas 2008 new england 2009 california 2010 Georgia 2011 colorado 2012 North Carolina 2013 Oregon 2014 montana 2015 New Zealand 2017 Mash Stomp NC
I wouldn't look out the window to see what Kate and Andy are doing
On 2/16/20 5:26 PM, Hawk wrote:

I'm not up on British history but what little bit I remember says the royal family, especially the Queen, did really well during WWII. Churchill did okay, too.
On 2/16/2020 9:43 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Here's one reporters take on the Royal Family.
https://www.facebook.com/JonathanPieReporter/videos/464573854169874/

Bill Maher took an unusual break from his Trump rant to weigh in on the royals the other night too It was similar to this guy. One thing he did suggest was to make Windsor Castle a Disney like attraction with rides. Sort of a Magic, United Kingdom. He may have been a little over the top when he suggested one would be "Diana's Wild Ride".

What simplifies taxation in the UK is theVAT. You don't get taxed on what you earn , you get taxed on what you spend (and also on what you own) (Property tax)

Because just like healthcare, we don't know any better, and there are too many vested interests in the status quo. :-(
TurboTax and others even got the IRS to agree to only allow "free" e-filing for low income, simple situations.
And the majority of those folks even *pay* to use H&R Block-type outfits.
"\"Retired"@home.com says...

Yes, the tax companies lobbied big time so they could stay in business.
The tax laws are so confusing that the average person will have such a hard time filling them out they have to use a tax program or go to someone and get it filled out.
On 2/15/2020 6:24 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Exactly. I don't blame Turbo Tax, they are in business to make money. Congress allows the complex tax laws. Lawyers and tax accountants love it that way.
Get rid of the convoluted deductions and anyone can do their own. Paging Steve Forbes, Steve Forbes you are needed right now.
On 2/15/2020 6:56 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I read one time that expenditures for the US tax industry are higher than those of US automobile manufacture.
With self employment I do my own taxes with Turbotax. H&R Block told me they would probably charge around $400.
State tax forms are included with Turbotax but they charge extra for filing.
Then I have corporate franchise tax done online with the state.
There are also quarterly filing with the feds and the state. If you don't file and exceed a certain value they charge you interest. No matter what your refund might be you get no interest from them.
Whole thing is a PITA and needs fixing.

In the UK, I'm self employed. Which you would think would make things really complicated. Nope. It takes me literally 2 minutes to fill in my taxes. Online. I enter two numbers - income and expenditure. That's all. No proof of anything required.

I've heard that if you are an employee, that Inland Revenue just sends you a bill. Is that true ?