OT. Social Security record

The number of people receiving some sort of SS benefit hit a record high. 2.49 people are supporting 1 now. <https://www.cnsnews.com/commentary/terence-p-jeffrey/social-security-beneficiaries-hit-record-61859250
or http://alturl.com/q8ncq

You gotta problem with that!?
I paid into it fer decades. They're jes returning what they stole!
nb
On 12/27/2017 9:27 PM, notbob wrote:

Yes, I have a problem with it. There are far more than retirees collecting the money we paid into it. Some 30 year old stubbed a toe and claims disability to collect. I have a big problem with that.
On 12/28/17 10:23 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Claimin' is one thing, collectin' is something else...
--
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time or money
making it.
On Thursday, December 28, 2017 at 10:37:12 AM UTC-5, Wade Garrett wrote:

e!

toe

IDK, I see plenty of people on TV even, saying they are collecting SS disability. One was on The People's Court show. In his twenties, on SS disability, claims he has ADD. In the last recession the number of people on it shot way up. Was there suddenly a disability plague? Or did a lot of people decide they could cash in?
On 12/28/2017 12:33 PM, trader_4 wrote:

The lawyers advertising on TV will help you get what they claim you "deserve" Just visit a SS office and see who is there looking for benefits. Very few are retirement age.

Izzat like my last company? They made so much money during the dot-com bubble, I was able to retire at age 53 (I was jes a tech), yet our govt (DARPA) jes hadda hand 'em 75 million dollars, one year. Our company was NOT even involved with any "Defense" projects. I think the term is, "corporate welfare". Kinda like that huge "bailout" to our slimy banking system. And you wanna blame it on some guy that "stubbed a toe"?
Whatever works, for you, Ed. ;)
nb
On Thursday, December 28, 2017 at 11:16:38 AM UTC-5, notbob wrote:

So, one abuse, one fraud, now justifies another, eh?
On 12/28/2017 11:16 AM, notbob wrote:

Different altogether. I'm not in favor of corporate welfare, nor am I in favor of scamming SS with alleged disability. Leave that alone and the real retired people can get what is due.
Just because one slimeball corporation gets a freebie does not make it OK for others to cheat.
On Thursday, December 28, 2017 at 2:00:46 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I watched Judge Judy yesterday. They had some skunk on there suing a customer for unpaid bath renovation work. Turns out he had a public works job, is out on medical disability, is collecting SS disability, and I think pension too. She quizzed him first on what kind of work he does, whether he does it alone, etc. He said alone and he does siding, renovation, etc. Ain't that nice? He looked about 45 or 50, fit, to me. You'd think they would go after these shysters. If you can run a home improvement business, including doing the work yourself, you're certainly capable of holding down a job instead of collect SS disability. In the last recession, the number of people collecting like that shot way up. Sudden mass illness or fraud?
On 12/29/17 9:42 AM, trader_4 wrote:

If you engage in what Social Security calls "substantial gainful activity" (which is what the rest of us call work), by their definition and regulation, you're not disabled and thus are not entitled to swill at the public trough.
--
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time or money
making it.
On Friday, December 29, 2017 at 10:10:29 AM UTC-5, Wade Garrett wrote:

Yep, which is why I said you'd think the govt would go after these frauds. That home renovator, when Judy had him on the grill, said something about $765 a month or something. I think he was saying that as long as that's all you make, it's allowed. That's kind of a second problem. The first problem is people going on the disability when they really could do some reasonable job. For example, just because you have a bad back, doesn't mean in all cases that you can't perform some kind of job.
On 12/29/17 10:48 AM, trader_4 wrote:

For younger people, if you can do any kind of work, you're not disabled.
Even if you held a highly skilled position like a nuclear engineer or brain surgeon and had now had an anxiety disorder that prevented you from concentrating well enough to do your regular job, you could still do routine, repetitive, unskilled work. An job example would be a hand-packer- - the guy who puts the packages of six T-shirts in the boxes that get shipped to Walmart.
Older workers only have to be able to do jobs comparable to their past relevant work
--
The civil rights movement lost moral authority when it went from
demanding equal rights to demanding equal results.

Yet, they do it, constantly!!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bailout#U.S._TARP_and_related_programs
I'd actually forgotten all the bailouts we've seen. Now The Orange One is attempting to "bailout" his donors with his tax plan. ;)
nb
notbob wrote:

Not just his "donors", don't forget all of his mar a lago customers / members, himself, his heirs and of course all of the foreign investors who stand to save a fortune in taxes.
On Fri, 29 Dec 2017 16:24:10 +0000 (UTC), "Dove Tail"

I am an old guy living on a fixed income and I will see an extra $2400 from this tax cut. The idea that it only benefits millionaires is just a lie.
On Friday, December 29, 2017 at 12:59:20 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Maybe you could add that up for us. If you're single, you get an additional $6K std deduction, $12K for a couple. Meanwhile you lose $4100 for each personal exemption, which would be -$4100 for single, -$8400 for a couple. So, for a couple you come out $3600 in your favor in reducing the taxable INCOME. You'd have to be in the 70% income tax bracket to turn that into a $2500 cut, but there is no such bracket. If you're in the 28% bracket, it's more like $1000. I guess it could be via changes to the AMT or something else.
On Mon, 1 Jan 2018 06:25:22 -0800 (PST), trader_4

I just know what the consensus of those online calculators tell me for a couple making around $100k in Florida. Run it yourself. You also need to add $1300 more onto that standard deduction for one over 65.
On Monday, January 1, 2018 at 12:11:03 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

If you know so much about the tax bill and how fair and wonderful it is, then you should be able to explain it. I looked specifically at what they changed, not what is already there. Did they change the std deduction so that you get a larger one if you're over 65? First time I heard that. The way to discuss tax policy is what the facts are, not out of what comes out of some dubious online calculator, with no knowledge of how it's calculated.
On Tue, 2 Jan 2018 06:24:04 -0800 (PST), trader_4

Since 2 separate calculators came up with essentially the same number, I tend to believe it. Yes the extra deduction for blind people and seniors did make into the bill.