OT - poison ivy

Killing it is not enough- it must be removed by the roots. I hire someone else to do it, but if you can't, follow this link:

Scroll down the page. There is a 7 step procedure.

BTW, the advice in other messages is full of errors. For example, the oil is water-soluble, not water repellant. Don't use soap (at first- see the link). Don't EVER burn poison ivy.

Good luck!

Reply to
Alan

"Bob S." wrote: ....

He put on liquid concentrate in enough volume to saturate everything including the ground for five years? Seems like he must have had a 55 gal drum of the stuff.

I've spilled while filled the sprayer full concentrate and while it will kill all, there certainly will be regrowth by the following year.

1/2-life ~ 3 wks --> ~17 half-lives/year * 5 yrs ==> 85 half-lives --> 2^-85 ~ 2E-26 initial concentration at that time. 2^-17 ~ 8E-6 after one year. If it was still totally dead after that, I'd still say it was something other than (or in addition to) 2,4-D/2,4,5-T
Reply to
Duane Bozarth

This is Turtle

This is not tring anything but doing what all the loggers in the early 1900 was doing to get away from the effects of PI. Modern medication now days have cures for anything but they all have a Patient on it and the berrys don't. Just like up till 1940 the cure for food poisin was vinegar but they developed a patiented medication to fix this and just forgot about vinegar.

I can not take a stand on saying it is safe or not by taking 3 berry of the PI but driving on a free way is dangerous too. Now I don't recommend anything here and anything I do you should not do !

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

According to TURTLE :

Allergies are funny things.

Some people never react to PI (a friend of my son's for instance).

Children often evolve out of (or into) allergies, it seems common for that to occur around puberty (ie: recent research on severe peanut allergies going away completely by themselves in early teens in about 20-30% of cases).

With most severe allergies, the first time you come in contact with the item, nothing happens, but you've been sensitized for the next contact, and they often get progressively worse. Yet, given enough time without contact, the sensitization sometimes resets. [My wife gets a free wasp sting every few years, but if the interval is too short, watch out!]

There are many old-timer remedies for poison ivy. PI tea. Berries. Smoking or eating PI leaves etc. The fact is that urushiol is present in all portions of the plant, and that when taken internally the results can be MUCH more catastrophic than a skin rash. Inhaling the smoke has effects roughly akin to mustard gas or chlorine used in chemical warfare, only a bit slower.

Yes, allergy treatments often are nothing more than progressively larger micro-doses of the allergen in an attempt to habituate your body to it.

But wolfing back 3 berries? There's really no telling what the urushiol dose is going to be - given how much damage just touching a leaf can do, I certainly wouldn't risk swallowing the stuff.

I think you were just one of those people who'd have become immune to PI at that age, berries or not. It's also probable that the tougher your skin is, the less likely you'll be to get affected.

I seem to be able to touch PI with my hands/palms with no effect, but if I touch somewhere (or someone :-( else after I've been in contact with PI, ouch!

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Reply to
USENET READER

This Is Turtle.

At Any Farm & Feed Store or even at Super Walmarts store . Any Farm & Feed Store Man will tell you all about the 2-4-D stuff and what is what. You should be carful for this stuff can get you just like the weeds if not handled right.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

I went to Target and bought Roundup Concentrate Poison Ivy and Tough Brush Cleaner Plus. It claims to "kill the roots" and "rain proof in 30 minutes." It is 18% active ingredient - glyphosate isopropylamine salt. Regular roundup has 1% of this stuff. You mix 6 oz of it with a gallon of water.

32 oz of this stuff cost $25.

I will report back the results.

Harry

Reply to
Harry Everhart

Just keep it off anything you want to keep...it's non-selective.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Use a stick aplicator if you are worried about overspray, you fill a tube that has a sponge on the bottom.

Reply to
m Ransley

Neither am I. :-)

Harry

Reply to
Harry Everhart

Just in case ou do become selective, it might be a good idea to get a paint can or something larger diameter and cut out the solid end also, and use it to shield against overspray on other "wanted" vegetation.............it'll also likely keep the neighbors from getting PO'd if it blows over on their yard and kills a bunch of grass or something like that.

I do this and make "polka dots" on my yard to get rid of some unwanted plants that volunteer to grow in my yard. Works great!

Good luck

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®