OT- Pickup Truck Drawer System

I don't own a pickup truck so I'm curious about what truck owners think of the drawer system built on this episode of Wasted Spaces.

It seems practical, but as a non-truck owner, I don't know what I don't know.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Works for some people, not for others. That was easy.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I would be concerned about security. Is there any way to lock this thing up? A thief could completely clear out those "drawers" in a minute or two.

It is not just having the tools handy, but keeping them from being stolen. That is the reality of living in today's world.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

on 10/2/2007 10:42 AM DerbyDad03 said the following:

I own a pickup, but I don't need it.

Reply to
willshak

pickup truck so I'm curious about what truck owners

I assume that if the bed is secured to the truck and the tailgate can be locked in some manner, then the drawers would be both hidden and inaccessible.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Wasted Time. Much too difficult to get at what you need, much too easy for someone to steal. Takes up too much space in the bed. Too much excess weight to haul around.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Truck tailgates are typically not lockable -- kinda pointless when the bed is completely open anyway, ya know...

Reply to
Doug Miller

on 10/2/2007 11:17 AM Lee Michaels said the following:

I would think that you need a tailgate lock, OE or aftermarket.

Reply to
willshak

Typically not lockable, or typically don't come standard with locks?

Lot's of tailgate locks, both keyed and powered, available via Google.

e.g.

But in this case, the bed would cover the storage system and would have to be removed in order to reach the contents, assuming a tailgate lock was installed.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

My work truck came from the outfitter with something similar. It's a great idea until the first time you try to open/close one of the drawers and realize you have about 500 lb. of tools in the drawer.

Reply to
Nova

Last month's Fine Homebuilding had a similar version as a Tip column but the guy mounted the drawers on roller wheels and used an upper roller to prevent the boxes from tipping as they were pulled out. This one just sliding will get hard to pull if it isn't already once it wears a little, for sure.

Reply to
dpb

Mine has a single roller across the width at the cab end. This causes you to have to lift the drawer and its entire contents to open/close it. Along with the lost depth of the bed, which is unavailable when needed, I'd rip it out if I were allowed to.

Reply to
Nova

Sorry, don't come standard with locks.

You kinda answered your own question there, you know -- if they did come standard with locks, there wouldn't be an aftermarket.

Right, I was explaining why pickups don't come standard with locks on the tailgate.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Think these go under the category of "different strokes..." :)

Just depends on how one uses the truck as to whether giving up the depth for the storage is a useful tradeoff or not. For me on the farm w/ the diesel and gas transfer tanks which take up almost half unfortunately and needing room for stuff other than tools and the types of tools changing from one job to another, they're not the deal. The side mount boxes for the handtools for equipment repair are ok, the rest is for whatever is the "job of the day"...

Reply to
dpb

I wasn't answering my own question, cuz I wasn't asking a question about locks. I was asking a question about what you were trying to say, which you have cleared up. Thanks for that.

re: -- if they did come standard with locks, there wouldn't be an aftermarket.

Well, if you want to get all semantical about this, there are lots of aftermarket replacements for standard equipment. :-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

About 25 years ago I made drawers for my truck which I used for camping. I had 3 drawers about 1.3 feet square by 8 feet long. They had 3 compartments. A sheet of plywood on top of the drawers and a mattress on top of that. The truck had a camper shell. There were no rollers for the drawers. It was very convenient and not very hard to use. I used it for many years.

Reply to
Ray

I own a pickup but I'm not a contractor. If my truck were my office and shop, something like that might be practical although I'd want to see how those drawers work when they're fully loaded, in the rain, and when it's minus 20 degrees.

But since I use my truck for hauling yard waste, lumber, furniture and whatever, I want the space those drawers take up more than I want the drawers.

Reply to
else24

Well, the drawers would allow you to keep the yard waste separate from the furniture. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@50g2000hsm.googlegroups.com:

It depends... I have a similar truck (long bed, small cab) that I use for the bed capacity, not hauling tools around. In my case, the drawer system would be a bigger hassle than not having it.

It's a good idea, just not right for me.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Tailgate locks are relatively easy to find and install, and are now offered as options on many trucks.

Phone and CATV installers have had similar drawer systems with double rear door utility caps over the bed. The rear doors lock the drawers in place.

I'd worry without any sort of lock.

**
**

B A R R Y