OT: Old comfy shirts

I'd ask on a sewing newsgroup for best advice.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote the following:

I wear them in the house. Sometimes I forget and go to the store with them on. No big deal. I once went to the store with my slippers on. At least I wasn't naked. :-)

Reply to
willshak

inter (mostly flannel) shirts are badly frayed at

Find someone to turn the collars inside out.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Woe is me. All my favorite winter (mostly flannel) shirts are badly frayed at the top of the collar. They're a little faded, but, aside from the collars, are nice and warm and comfy.

I hate to pitch 'em. Is there any way to patch 'em or otherwise repair 'em? So they don't look so raggedy?

Thx, Will

Reply to
Wilfred Xavier Pickles

------------------------------------------------------- I wear mine until they fall apart. They may be old, frayed and badly faded, but I wear them around the house where few people can see me in them and they do look better than wearing just a plain T-shirt.

If it's cold enough to wear a flannel shirt, it must be cold enough for a jacket when going out side. In that case just slip a jacket on over the old eyesore and you'll stay warm and comfortable with no one knowing what you have on under your jacket.

Freckles

Freckles

: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

=3D=3D When I had dogs, I would remove the buttons and give the shirts to the dogs to lay on. They loved 'em. =3D=3D

Reply to
Roy

Well, it's a lot of work but if you're handy w/ a needle/sewing machine you can turn the collars...

--

Reply to
dpb

winter (mostly flannel) shirts are badly frayed at

It'd probably cost more than buying new shirts, but any competent sewing-machine driver can lay another layer of material over the collar for you, in whatever fabric and color your heart desires. Satin like a jacket liner or old-timey smoking jacket collar, or an old tux, would be easiest, since it is so thin. Or just cut the collars off and hem the edge- not like a modern shirt collar serves any function anyway.

Reply to
aemeijers

My mother used to turn the collars on my dad's uniform shirts when they began to show wear - tedious job, but doable. Go along the base of the collar and remove the stitching where it is sewn to the neck band. Can sew or iron on a facing to reinforce the worn area and then flip the collar and sew back on.

Reply to
norminn

Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Are they frayed where the collar folds?

Reply to
Lisa BB.

I know this isn't what you want, but it sounds like another place for duck/duct tape. Comes in several colors, easy to apply, will wash several times, easy to replace once worn out.

Reply to
DanG

e:

Not shirts but hand knitted work socks. Number of pairs with toe and heel holes/worn away. Approched the 'Craft group of the local Seniors Centre asking if anybody could/would repair by knitting new toes and heels. Submitted some 7 pairs. The group rejected two pairs as beyond repair, although they may have used some of the wool for the reknitting? And returned to me five perfectly repaired pairs! Sent them a $25 donation and thank you for materials for their craft group. New knitted work-boot socks here at least $15 to $18 even in post Christmas sales! Your shirt mileage may vary; but 'turning the collars on shirts was common during my youth; which occurred in part during WWII when everything was rationed; 'for the war effort'! You need to find someone with the requisite skills. All too often dying out to be replaced by modern skills. Ask grandma to make bread and she'll have a weeks supply in an afternoon. Or ask grandpa to fix a flat tyre he'll probably take the wheel off and 'break down' the tyre with his boots before looking for the hole in the tube (wot no tube!).

Reply to
terry

Way back when, even a lawyer knew how to take care of his horse. Ask one today how his means of transportation functions.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Yes. Along the top of the collar (when the collar is in it's intended position).

Will

Reply to
Wilfred Xavier Pickles

Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

As others wrote, the collar could be removed and flipped/reversed to have a fresh side. That'll be involved and take a while to do it. To sew another layer on top will make the collar too bunchy. The frayed section could be removed/cut out. (don't cut the other layer). Do not cut to the edge of the collar. Cut inside the top stiching area of the collar. Use a complementary plain color to inset. Use a top stitch or an edging stitch to sew the new layer to the collar. This will be easier with a sewing machine. With the modern machines there are computer controls. Even with an older machine, somebody who knows sewing can to the repair. After all, it's and old comfy shirt so perfection isn't needed.

You could have the whole collar removed. Have a pattern drawn of the shape and remember to add a seam allowance. Again use a complementary plain color and make a new collar to attach.

Find a "manly" ribbon (wide), such as grossgrain. Lay the collar flat and stitch the ribbon over the frayed portion. Hopefully what is frayed, is straight (when viewed flat). This method may create a bunchy collar.

Or you could just have the collar removed. Lisa

Reply to
Lisa BB.

Is crazy the way some things price now-a-daze.

Modern skill - "Flip it in the trash can!".

Thanks. I dunno I can find such skilled folk, but I'll keep my eyes/ears open.

Will

Reply to
Wilfred Xavier Pickles