OT: Oil Spill. There are two men...

... that have extensive experience with the oil business AND extensive experience with government bureaucracy and agency interaction.

President Obama could easily call on them to bring their expertise into play instead of an ex-governor, an academic physicist, and others who are obviously out of their depth.

The men are George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush.

Reply to
HeyBub

I would pay to hear their advice ;o) Anybody know how many shares of BP stock the Bin Laden family owns? Bush? Saudis?

Reply to
norminn

GW Bush ran an oil company, wrecked it, and left investors holding the bag. You are a funny guy.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

The top in the field are contracted with BP you idiot.

Reply to
LSMFT

In reality, I won't be surprised to see that, quietly, behind the scenes, both men have been talked to. "HeyBub" But we won't know about it for at least another 5-6 years. It isn't in either side's political best interests to make those conversations public.

And further-more, if either thinks they have an answer, they can probably make a phone call if it matters to them.

The Obama-hate is ruining the Republican party. Even more-so than the Bush-hate drove the loudest Dems over the edge.

As I saw posted by the right for 8 years-- 'get over it. . .you lost'.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

43 and 41 Are Tweedledee And Tweedledumb.
Reply to
hibb

43 and 41 Are Tweedledee And Tweedledumb.

==========

And they named the smart one Jeb. I believe it was George Carlin who reminded us of this sad fact.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

George was KIDDING when he said Jeb was the smart one.

Reply to
norminn

But actually, Jeb *is* the smarter of the brothers.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

In their hearts they know it was Bush who got us into wars that are bankrupting us and whose theories about the "free market" prevailed right up to the end - when Bush was forced to bail out AIG with a gigantic "nothing free market about it" check from the US taxpayers.

Call Bush for help? I am sure part of the problem lies right at his feet because he was well-known for his anti-regulatory stance and for leaving agencies "headless" as a way of pulling their teeth.

He was also from an oil family who doubtless saw government regulations as horrendously intrusive. Repubs have decried regulation for a long time, yet that's all that often stands between safe stewardship of the environment and wrecks like the BP spill. Read this if you want some idea of what the US would look like if we had no government regulations at all, which seems to be what at least some people seem to seriously propose from time to time:

"As many as 546 million gallons of oil spilled into the Niger Delta over the last five decades, or nearly 11 million gallons a year, a team of experts for the Nigerian government and international and local environmental groups concluded in a 2006 report. By comparison, the Exxon Valdez spill in 1989 dumped an estimated 10.8 million gallons of oil into the waters off Alaska."

43 would be the last guy I would call. He's the one that did this to us by giving big business and big oil the greenlight (how ironic) to drill ever deeper wells, tear the tops off mountains, etc. Not to mention his other "interesting" ideas like putting Social Security money into the stock market. Ot-nay Oo-tay Right-bay. Do you think all the food poisoning cases, the worst coal mine disaster in 40 years and the BP spill were just accidents? No, they were the result of a Federal government that was forced to downsize and ignore the responsibility to safeguard people against corporate risk taking.

If you need any proof that oil-drilling Texans hate the rest of the country as much as they love their oil, check out Joe Barton's (R. Tex) flowery apology to Gulf-killer Tony Hayward:

It was nauseating. But what makes it even more sickening is the apology comes from the man who's the top Repub. on the committee that oversees oil drilling. A man who's taken $100's from Big Oil. I see that the GOP leadership forced him to suck back his apologetic speech. Talk about being out of touch with the people.

The fund was put in place to help avoid the possibility that BP will attempt to distribute any cash hanging around just before they file for bankruptcy. While a week ago that seemed far fetched, the possibility of BP being prosecuted to the max criminally is now a serious one. Their safety record will probably be the thing that hangs them. They've killed through negligence before. That pretty much pre-empts the "It was an accident defense." As for actually collecting from BP, I say dream on, Gulf staters:

"BP has owed the state of Michigan $800,000 for 20 years for the costs of clean up for several incidents in and around the state. They have not paid a penny and are now filing an appeal of the court decision. What makes anyone think they are going to be any more forthright with regards to this disaster?"

While I feel badly for the shareholders, they took the profits when they were flowing, and now they'll have to take the losses, too. If the US yanks their Federal oil leases, BP might not survive, especially if the Feds push for criminal liability and the maximum penalties (nearly $5K for every barrel of leaked oil - no WONDER they are seriously underestimating the flow).

"In their permit to drill the well, BP estimated the worst case flow at

162,000 barrels (6,800,000 US gallons; 25,800 cubic metres) per day. BP initially estimated that the wellhead was leaking only 1,000 barrels (42,000 US gallons; 160 cubic metres) a day. . .According to Ira Leifer, a member of the Flow Rate Technical Group, the group was only provided a seven minute segment of low-quality video selected by BP."

At every turn BP has been trying to minimize the amount of damage, even incredulously reporting in the first few days that "no oil was leaking."

The Feds could also ban BP from Federal contracts, which usually results in states also banning them. The thing that burns most people, it seems to me, is the outright lies about the quantity of oil leaking from the very beginning. I have a feeling that it's been so much oil that it will make its way to the Gulf stream and off to Merry Olde England, especially if the high end estimates turn out to be right.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I own some BP stock. You might call me one of the pensioners that will be hurt by Obama's attack on BP. I didn't vote for him, but now I'm not going to vote for him a second time ;)

Reply to
Frank

I'm sure there are some fishermen down south who find these pension comments pretty shallow, especially if the comments come from twits who invested too much of their money in one stock.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Isn't that pretty much the text illustration of damning with faint praise (g).

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Yes. But at one time, he actually looked like a genius. Then he changed his mind. I suspect that a close look at his personal finances would reveal the reason. I wonder when we'll task the NSA to monitor our elected barnacles the same way they spy on overseas bad guys.

JoeSpareBedroom

Let's see. One was at the same meeting as bin Laden's brother on 9/11, and the other was a failed oilman.

Sounds like a good Republican plan.

Reply to
Bob F

Attack!? You must be with Joe Barton who apologized to BP for being held accountable. . .

Amen! I can't even imagine what it must be like to see the place a fisherman [and maybe 5-6 generations before him/her] have used as a playland & source of their lively-hood turned into an oil pit. They won't just lose some dividends for a year or so- they'll lose their boat, their home, their second car & every toy they own.

I'll bet the families of the 11 guys who died are feeling a bit pinched, too.

I don't hold any animosity for BP. They got caught cutting corners & from what I've seen they aim to try to make things as good as they can---- But the whiners who are bitching because their stock dumped & they'll miss a dividend can kiss my ass. If you can't take that hit you should put your money in something other than stocks.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I said "some BP stock" which I think is less than 100 shares. Loss will not cripple me.

Reply to
Frank

The June 21 issue of Time has a brief piece about a criminal trial in India that brought in verdicts on June 7. In 1984, 26 freaking years ago, Union Carbide had a toxic gas release that killed fifteen freaking thousand people in Bhopal. In 1985, the Indian gov't. sued for $3.3b. In 1898 they settled for $470m. The seven UC employees found guilty were sentenced to 2 years in jail. And the freaking American public takes issue when a European uses the term "small people" rather than American slang. What piggies. American's care more about Michael Jackson's plastic surgery than they do answers to energy supplies :o)

Reply to
norminn

Of course SS has already gone bankrupt semi-officially and will pay most of us a negative rate of return on our money over the course of our lives. Even at the trough of this market, there has never been a 20-year period since WWII where the S&P has paid less than 8% annualized. If you put the same amount of money into a tax advantaged account that was entirely in stocks, you would be much further ahead than you will be SS. Add in dividends (and the impact of compounding interest) and you would have been much better off putting the money in stocks or other investments.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

-snip-

I think that's more the 'American media'- than the people at large. It is a price we pay for a media that is driven by greed, rather than principle. Controversy sells papers.

Last night's local news had a call-in poll. They wanted to know how many folks thought BP's 'offering of $20billion was going to be enough' to fix things. The way it was worded & the multiple answers they supplied gave no way of replying that - 'No, I don't think it will cover it- but I have confidence that when the $20 is spent, BP will toss some more in the pot.'

What country do you live in where MJ wouldn't trump energy supplies for the front page?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht