OT model electric train smoke

Just inherited an old electric train that was used, just at x-mas, to go around the base of the tree. There is a switch to activate smoke from the chimney and I remember smoke coming out of the chimney. You needed to put some common household product in the chimney for it to work. I cannot remember what this product is. Anyone know anything about this? Thanks

Reply to
calhoun

calhoun"

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Our's uses vegetable oil....YMMV

Reply to
Brian V

"calhoun" wrote in news:6uopf.39658$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

IIRC,the Lionel trains used a little white pill.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Any truck stop should have them

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

any light machine oil, like "3 in 1"

Reply to
Reed

My trainset's instructions say to use a drop of common household oil.

Reply to
badgolferman

Diesel fuel and fertilizer.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

On my 1956 Lionel train, it was 3 in 1 oil. Just don't use too much. It can't hold more than a couple of drops.

But, as other posters advised, it would be wise to ask in a toy railroading newsgroup or at a hobby collector store. You wouldn't want to put the wrong thing in there and have it ruin it or catch fire.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Fire coming out of the stack? You mean like a GE diesel?

Reply to
Steve Kraus

Actually I had one of these as a kid. If it was a Lionel like I had it used a little white pill. Who made yours? On the Lionel the effect didn't last very long but it was cool! at least when I was 8. This guy talks about it:

also fixing them. How about converting it to using the Zero fluid or the common glycol based fog fluid... well maybe thats going a little far..but... Richard

Reply to
spudnuty

Mineral oil when I was a kid.

Cheryl

calhoun wrote:

Reply to
Cheryl Rogers

The secrets of smoke What it?s made from and how it works

Reply to
Goedjn

Thanks for all the great replies and links. Learned more about "smoke" than I thought there was to know. 3 in 1 oil seems to work well. It is what I now remember my dad using. I remember because he used to "steel" it from my moms sewing machine cabinet.

Reply to
calhoun

Reply to
Goedjn