OT: Hospital ship Comfort heading to Puerto Rico

It has taken an entire week for the administration to deploy the USNS Comfort to Puerto Rico.
This is absurd, apparently Trump is too busy bitching about football players taking a knee during a song, all while 3.5 million US citizens are suffering through a humanitarian crisis.
Donald J. Trump is a cluster-fuck.
Hospital ship Comfort heading to Puerto Rico
http://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2017/09/26/hospital-ship-comfort-heading-to-puerto-rico/
--

The problem is Donald Trump. The solution is impeachment or, the otherwise legal
removal, from office, of the greatest threat to peace the world has ever known.

That's only because Hillary told him to. She tweeted it out a couple days ago.
On 9/26/2017 6:32 PM, Stormin' Norman wrote:

Trump may be cluster fuck, but is it his job to personally send the ship? I imagine there is some protocol involved to do something like that. Do you know what it is? Perhaps Brock Long is responsible? I don't know but to blame an individual you must know exactly what happened or is needed or you are just talking out your ass.
The Federal government has about 2 million employees and they have a chain of command. Trump does not supervise every single one of them. I don't expect any president to approve or start every single action. There are people in charge.
Was the ship sent in a timely matter? I doubt anyone here knows what has to be loaded, what crew is needed, or anything else. If you do, then you may complain.
On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 at 7:33:05 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It's been 6 days since the hurricane hit, the ship was apparently only ordered there now and it won't leave for another 3 or 4 days because of the issues you raise, crew, loading, etc. And it was Hillary who suggested it be sent. So, apparently she knew of it's existence or those close to her did. If they hadn't brought it up, it probably still wouldn't be going anywhere.
Trump again makes his own plight worse, by engaging in the NFL war and now issuing tweets about Puerto Rico where he seems to start blaming Puerto Rico for their problems. He said they had poor existing infrastructure and were badly in debt to Wall Street banks. What their debt is and to whom it's owed has to do with the crisis, IDK. He's also patting himself on the back for doing such a great job handling it. He would be better served if he had statistics at hand, eg how many national guard are there, how many tons of supplies had been sent, how many tons a day are now arriving, what the plan is to get linemen and eqpt there to get the utility polls back up, etc. If he tweeted about that, it would look like he's doing his job and on top of the situation.
On 9/26/2017 8:02 PM, trader_4 wrote:

Evidently someone is not doing their job. At this time I still cannot blame Trump personally but there are people charged with acting in a disaster. Could be from this administration or leftovers from a previous one. Knowing the ship exists, someone should have had it moving. Trump should have it investigated.

I don't deny that at all. I've been saying for months he should just STFU at times.

Ridiculous.
As CINC Trump should have issued orders for all available assets to be available, on or near location, in PR when the storm subsided. That is all he would have had to do and with all the forewarning, he should have issued the order two days before the storm hit the island.
However, as the Puerto Ricans are brown, poor, talk funny, don't have representation in the house or senate and cannot cast votes for presidential electors, they were the furthest thing from Trump's mind.
Of course, it was far more important for him to engage the NFL about players taking a knee during a song.
--

The problem is Donald Trump. The solution is impeachment or, the otherwise legal
removal, from office, of the greatest threat to peace the world has ever known.
On 9/26/2017 9:16 PM, Stormin' Norman wrote:

Do you know for sure what he has or has not done? There are people in place for those situations.

On 09/26/2017 09:16 PM, Stormin' Norman wrote:

Do they pay taxes to the US government?
Or are they just another bunch of cry-baby palms-up democrats looking for free cheese paid for by working taxpayers?
On 09/27/2017 02:59 AM, Trumpster wrote:

Puerto Rico's taxes are a mixed bag but they do not pay personal income tax.
On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 at 8:54:34 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I agree. Kurt posted a list of what various govt agencies have done so far in another thread. IDK what to make of it really. I didn't see a timeframe, ie is that the total so far or just the last day? For example it had 2600 national guard, 85 generators, 44,000 tons of supplies. If that's for a day or couple of days, it sounds like it could be on track. If it's for close to a week, then IDK. You have 3.5 mil people. It also depends on the details, ie is it a 10KW generator or 500KW.
Then for an example of nonsense, CBS News had the mayor of San Juan on. They showed her wading through the streets with a bull horn. They interviewed her and she's crying. She says her city needs help and they need it now. She talked to FEMA officials and they asked her to provide a list of what she needs. She told them she doesn't have time for that, she's out in the streets helping people. The level of stupidity never ceases to amaze. She sounds like she went to the Ray Nagin New Orleans school of crisis management. BTW, where is he today? prison
On 9/26/17 9:31 PM, trader_4 wrote:

My understanding from the release was that it was day. Although I have to admit that wasn't entirely clear.

Under law FEMA only has an advisory capacity and can marshall resources AT THE REQUEST of the locals. It is assumed in emergency planning in the US that the locals know their area the best. They can't just come in and take over. Not sure why it is FEMA's problem that the San Juan mayor can't prioritize her work. You help the most by commanding not doing the job any entry level grunt could be doing.
On 9/27/2017 8:31 AM, Kurt V. Ullman wrote:

Sounds like the mayor is incompetent. If she truly wants to help people her job is to figure out what is needed. Out on the street she can help one family at a time. In her office she can help thousands.
On Wednesday, September 27, 2017 at 8:31:44 AM UTC-4, Kurt V. Ullman wrote:

ARe you sure that's still the process? They had the head of FEMA or at least one of the top guys on TV during the TX hurricane. He said that's the way it used to work, that FEMA waited until requests came in. He said that changed after Katrina, that now they get the resources going before the storm even hits, that a lot of it is already there or nearby.
We agree on the San Juan mayor.
On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 at 8:54:34 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Maybe now it's time to start blaming Trump because he just doesn't give a damn about Puerto Rico?
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/09/27/trump-administration-denies- request-ease-shipping-fuel-deliveries-puerto-rico/707448001/
"Some members of Congress want the Trump administration to suspend shipping restrictions that would allow more fuel and emergency supplies to reach Pu erto Rico.
The Jones Act prohibits foreign-flagged vessels from picking up and deliver ing fuel between U.S. ports. That act was suspended from Sept. 8 through Se pt. 22 to allow shipments to Texas and Florida after Hurricanes Harvey and Irma. Puerto Rico was included under that waiver for petroleum products.
Since that suspension needed Sept. 22, the Trump administration hasn't issu ed a new one for Puerto Rico since Hurricane Maria struck. That hurricane w iped out the power supply, destroyed cell towers and led to massive fuel sh ortages on the island that relies on diesel for much of its power.
President Trump, who plans to visit Puerto Rico on Tuesday, said the admini stration is studying the waiver request, but that shipping interests are op posed.
"Well, we're thinking about that, but we have a lot of shippers and a lot o f people that work in the shipping industry that don't want the Jones Act l ifted, and we have a lot of ships out there right now," Trump said. "And I will tell you the governor was very generous yesterday with some statements and so was the mayor of San Juan; very, very generous with their statement s."
This couldn't be clearer. While 3.5 mil people on Puerto Rico are in crisis, Trump is still "thinking" about an exec order for a waiver to the Jones Act. He didn't have to think in the case of TX and FL. Yet now, in the case of Puerto Rico which was hit much harder, he's more concerned with the possible effects of a temporary waiver on the profits for the US shipping companies than he is about the people with no power, food and water in Puerto Rico? This isn't some bureaucrat way down the list in FEMA, this is Trump himself. Stormin accused Trump of not being interested in Puerto Rico because they aren't white. Looks like he may be right. Wonder what the trumpets think about this?
PS: Trump is apparently lying about the mayor of San Juan. As I reported here yesterday, she was on CBS News crying, saying that they aren't getting what they need. So, either she's lying to CBS or Trump is lying to America. IDK if she is a liar, but Trump is a confirmed, prolific liar.
On 09/28/2017 01:56 AM, trader_4 wrote:

To show we care, maybe we should build a hurricane barrier wall around Puerto Rico?
If it saves just one non-white life, isn't it worth it?

there is plenty of help and food there, they just can't figure out how to distribute it
https://www.facebook.com/108679513654/videos/10155192845263655/?hc_ref=ARSgKkv2-Nj_5Z9dSg6Ke0z-h33Tdu8XIzcEhtklWV4TPdMQ1708O7sIuC59Bqpg_hc
On Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 11:09:47 AM UTC-4, ChairMan wrote:

Yes, I'm seeing more of that too this morning. I saw pictures of the port of San Juan with 9500 tractor trailer size containers just sitting there. According to the governor, the biggest problem is only 20% of truck drivers are working. And he said by that he means they haven't been able to reach them. WTF? It's a week after the hurricane. If you're a trucker and your phone is out, by now you're not going to where you work, finding out what's going on? Especially with your services being just as important as a first responder? We're sending in EMS from around the world, and Puerto Rico can't find their own truck drivers?
Oren posted for all of us...

Plan A is good until the bullet is fired. Then switch plans...
--
Tekkie

Oren posted for all of us...

I am permanently out to lunch
--
Tekkie

Trump is CINC, Comfort is a US Navy ship. She should have been ordered to Puerto Rico days ago. Comfort did not even receive orders to deploy until today!
It is entirely Trump's responsibility to ensure that all assets possible are marshaled to help the US citizens of Puerto Rico. Additionally, Trump had plenty of forewarning that PR was going to be hit by a Cat5 storm. There is no excuse for assets not being ready for deployment as soon as the storm had passed.
If Trump, the cluster fuck POTUS, had been doing his job instead of dicking around with the NFL, USNS Comfort and all other available federal assets would either be on site or on their way to help these 3.4 million people! Instead, with prep time of four days and transit time of five days, it will be nine days before these poor people have significant medical assistance from the US Navy.
So Ed, you can take that and shove it up your own ass, which has been getting jealous of all the shit coming out of your mouth.