OT: Guns in America

One day America will grow up....
http://metro.co.uk/2016/03/09/pro-gun-mother-is-shot-in-the-back-by-her-toddler-son-5743279/#ixzz42UXQNnip
Mr Macaw wrote:

As any parent knows, there are many dangers that a toddler can get into and do harm to himself or others. That does not mean that all such dangerous items should be banned. It simply means that the parent should take steps to protect their children from those dangers.

Guns have no use at all. There is no reason for her to have had that gun anyway. Then she doesn't have to take care to secure it. We don't have the problem of accidentlally forgetting to secure guns from toddlers here, because we don't have guns! Look up the gun deaths in the USA per head of population, then look them up here.
--
Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Guns made made the people in the US citizens and not subjects.

Of course we are. Most of the "stranger danger" gun deaths here are a result of the drug war. That is where most of the "mass shootings" come from too. They are not the ones that make the news until they get rolled up it a statistic and then the details are glossed over.

So now drugs are introduced too. War? Drugs? Or everyday civilians shooting each other for no reason? Please pick one subject.
--
"The hands that help are better far than lips that pray." - Robert Ingersoll (1833-1899)

It is hard to separate American gun violence and drugs. That is where most of the murders come from, turf wars between drug dealers. The details of these murders seldom ever make the news, they only report the body count.

At least you're making drugs legal now. We're still fighting to get this started.
--
As the coffin was being lowered into the ground at a Traffic Wardens funeral, a voice from inside screams:
"I'm not dead, I'm not dead. Let me out!"

The problem is they are making the drugs legal in the places that do not really have that much drug related violence in the first place.

Because the government is still stupid enough to think drugs cause violence?
--
Be careful about reading health books, you may die of a misprint. -- Mark Twain

On 03/17/2016 03:15 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Never see a drunk on a tear? Yes, Virginia, alcohol is a drug and more destructive than many of the ones that will put you behind bars. However the government gets taxes from alcohol.

They would be capable of it and that was my point. The most popular rifle in the US right now is the "AR" platform and that is basically the M16 rifle carried by the troops. The main difference is most ARs owned by the population are semi auto only ... but not all. There are well over a million full automatics owned by civilians. I had a machine gun for a number of years but I sold it at a huge profit.

Maybe so, but my point is that the need to have weapons in the military is a completely different topic to the need to have weapons in the hands of every citizen.
--
If a man is standing in the middle of the forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

The war of independence from England was fought with mostly personally owned sporting arms.
I'm sure we can do so, again, if needed.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

We should stop that. Thatcher was selling them all off, we should ave let her finish.
Even better, just drop a bomb on them.
--
You have reached the CPX-2000 Voice Blackmail System. Your voice patterns are now being digitally encoded and stored for later use. Once this is done, our computers will be able to use the sound of YOUR voice for literally thousands of illegal and immoral purposes. There is no charge for this initial consultation. However our staff of professional extortionists will contact you in the near future to further explain the benefits of our service, and to arrange for your schedule of payment. Remember to speak clearly at the sound of the tone. Thank you.

Why would you want to be independent? You sure made a mess of that didn't you?
--
"The man who invented cats eyes got the idea when he saw a cat facing him in the middle of the road. If the cat had been facing the other way, he would have invented the pencil sharpener." - Ken Dodd.
/

For the last 30 years America has just gone to war to protect Israel. We are pretty much energy independent now on our side of the ocean.

I thought you had loads of your own oil?
--
PNEUMONOULTRAMICROSCOPICSILICOVOLCANOCONIOSIS (45 letters, a lung disease caused by breathing in particles of siliceous volcanic dust) is the longest word in the English language, beating TETRAMETHYLDIAMINOBENZHYDRYLPHOSPHINOUS ACID, HEPATICOCHOLANGIOCHOLECYSTENTEROSTOMIES, FORMALDEHYDETETRAMETHYLAMIDOFLUORIMUM, and DIMETHYLAMIDOPHENYLDIMETHYLPYRAZOLONE.

Isn't that what I just said?
The Canadians have oil Obama doesn't even think we need.

We are simply a more violent culture. We have more people beaten to death in this country than your total murder rate. It might be noted that about half of our murders are is in one ethnic "culture" alone and they are only about 12% of the population..