OT/ Garage Sale Score!

$10 in better than "good" condition...no charger or battery. I took it to a hardware store to try it with a battery...so I know it is worth investing about $85 for a battery and charger on eBay! Wahoo!

bob_villain

Yep, you done good. That qualifies as a "You Suck!"

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

So, it cost me $115 total...eBay was $175 (for a kit) in poor condition for the same, with 2 old batteries.

bob_villain

Investing $85 or spending $85?

While I agree that it's a great find and probably worth buying a battery and charger, what makes the $85 an "investment"?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Funny thing to ask...1)a bare tool doesn't have much value; 2) a good tool *is* an investment.

Reply to
bob_villain

What do you expect to be the return on your investment?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Already stated...are you a lawyer, or just being a dick? (pretty much the same)

Reply to
bob_villain

Neither one. Just a guy asking a question.

Most definitions of an "investment" typically read something like this:

"An asset or item that is purchased with the hope that it will generate income or appreciate in the future."

So, I am simply curious. Are you contractor that will make money by using the tool? Is there some other reason that the tool will generate income or are you expecting it to appreciate in value?

There's a difference between a great deal on a tool (which you definitely got) and investing in tools for the purpose of making money with them. You said you were "investing" $85 for the battery and charger and I'm just curious about what income or appreciation you are expecting.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Truthfully, I think you're pulling my chain...but if you insist. With an investment of $115, I could get $175 to $225 for the kit. For me, it's an ultimate tool that I wouldn't normally be able to own. I hope this will satisfy your curiosity.

Reply to
bob_villain

If I was being pedantic I would say the investment value was money you did not have to spend to have a trade with that tool come in and use it for you. When I buy an expensive tool it is usually based on what it would cost to have someone with it do something for me. In most cases, after one or two uses, the tool pays for itself and covers a reasonable price for my labor.

One example is the $100 (or less) computer disk and cable for a new outboard. You will spend more than that for one trip to the dealer to have your ECU logged out and you can do it wherever your boat is.

Reply to
gfretwell

You probably could get more for the kit than you paid for it, but I'm pretty sure that that is not your plan.

Your purchase certainly qualifies as a great deal, but since your intent is to keep it for your own use, the $85 spent on the battery and charger is not really an investment.

I hope that you get many years of enjoyment from your tool.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I hear what you are saying, but saving money is not really the same thing as investing. There is no increase in monetary value of the object purchased. It is not worth $100 before you use it then $200 afterwards. Now, if someone pays you to have their ECU logged out, then it's an income producing investment.

That kind of reminds me of a discussion in this group many years ago. A few people were insisting that every time they mowed their own lawn or painted they own house, they *earned* the amount they would have paid someone else to do it. (I know you didn't use the word "earn" so this discussion is different) I eventually pointed out to them that if they had zero dollars in the bank before they mowed the lawn, and zero dollars in the bank after they mowed the lawn, they must not have earned anything. They quietly went away. :-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

In our locality, all lawns must be cut/maintained below a certain height. If you fail to keep your lawn cut, the local municipality will cut it for you (at charge of course). Obviously, for me, mowing the lawn is not optional.

The municipality's mowing fee is roughly 150% above market rate and is the most expensive option.

The second option is to hire it done but that is expensive as well. Keep in mind that when hiring a service, most people have to pay for the service with after-tax dollars. In my case, I have to earn $100 pre-tax dollars to pay for a $75 mow-job.

The third and most economical option is to buy a mower and DIY. Aside from the one-time purchase of the mower, DIY mowing is the cheapest option and is also good for your health.

So, for us wage-slave taxpayers, buying a lawn mowing tool is an investment that pays huge dividends every time we use it.

Reply to
Bud Doobie

So the government runs all aspects of your life and you happily spend money to keep the government happy. That is the most pathetic thing I have read in weeks.

Reply to
burfordTjustice

A penny saved is a penny earned

Reply to
gfretwell

An investment in satisfactiom in being able to use the tool for whatever projects he needs it for.

It may be a money loosing investment, but it is an investment - to invest - to vest (money) in - alsp to put out (ASSETS) for a cause.

Reply to
clare

Benny met a Genie who would grant him 3 wishes with the stipulation that Benny could never shave his beard again. If he did, the Genie would stuff him into a clay pot for the rest of eternity.

Benny agreed and became a very rich and happy man. However, after a few years, he grew tired of the long beard. Since he hadn't heard from the Genie in all that time, he figured he could get away with shaving it off. As soon as he finished shaving - POOF - he found himself crammed inside a clay pot.

The moral of the story:

A Benny shaved is a Benny urned.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

A widow down the street was cleaning out a shed with loads of "useless" tools n other junk. Mostly drills, sanders, saws, w/o working batteries. Included in the trash was a Hitachi corded 1/2 drive I recovered. Haven't needed it yet.

Reply to
flakey714

If the $85 was spent to avoid future outlays of $170 to third party services to charge batteries, is it an investment?

Reply to
rbowman

So if a company, say Pfizer, pays a consultant millions to set up a tax avoidance scheme that will maximize profit going forward, then it isn't an investment?

Reply to
rbowman